• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: 7 Anime Characters with Terrible Karma

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I know it's not anime, but I'd say that the character with the worst karma I've seen is Nogami Ryoutarou from Kamen Rider Den-O. Everything he tries to do just ends up badly (for him), and he even ends up getting possessed by four Imagin (granted, that ends up being a good thing).
The Risky Penguin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, I was going to vote for Moretsu Pirates but it wasn't on the list Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Roberta? Seriously? That woman has major PTSD and revenge issues. Sayoko should have been 3rd since she has no faults whatsoever....if being a ninja maid is considered a fault.

PS: I'm not gonna vote in the new survey until Bodacious Space Pirates is on that list.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I was going to vote for Space Pirates as well but oh well, just went ahead and voted for Natsume instead.

I would say that the entire Sohma family from Fruits Basket should probably be on the list, almost everyone's problems come just from being born into the Sohma family, I'd actually forgotten all about Machi since everyone else's stories overshadow hers.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Did I miss something while watching Fruits Basket?
lys

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:

Machi didn't show up till the later volumes of the manga (which you should totally read!)—I don't think she was in the anime at all.
consignia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:

No, I'm pretty sure Machi only appears in Fruits Basket after the end of the anime. Which makes here an odd choice for a list of anime characters.

And if I'm going to be pedatically irritating, which i am, I could point out that this isn't a list of 7 characters, as a couple of entries are groups of characters.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I'm not sure I'd agree with that about the Straw Hats at all. They're wanted criminals not because they beat up other pirates and help people, but rather because they completely disregard the Marine authority and (later on) spoiler[symbolically declare war against the World Government itself by setting its flag ablaze atop of Enies Lobby]. It's not because of bad karma that they have their bounties. It's because they don't want to bow down to any authority that they don't approve.

Oh, and count me as another vote for Miniskirt Pirates. I'll hold off my vote in hopes that it can be added to the poll.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Add me as another vote for the unlisted Booty Pirates, as I had to fall back to Fake Bakemonogatari. As for the bad karma list, I would like to express my dismay at the lack of Keita from Inukami. The dude quite literally suffers from bad karma after he defeats a shinigami.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Dunno how that got overlooked, I added it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I totally approve of Dr. Tenma topping the list (but it wasn't that he rearranged his surgeries to save Johan, it was because he refused to rearrange his surgeries to save the mayor). :)

However, I'd have to put Sango on the list, ahead of even Tenma. Her entire village is killed, her brother kills her father and the rest of her team and tries to kill her, she's buried alive, her brother is brought back to life by the demon responsible for it all and goes on to murder hundreds more people, and if that's not enough, she falls for a womanizing monk. And that's just the beginning of her troubles...
vinamara

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
The anime I look forward to are:

Another

Daily Lives of High School Boys

Nisemonogatari

For some pastime:

Amagami SS+ and Ano Natsu
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I didn't even think of Dr. Tenma when I read the list title, which produced a royal facepalm when I got down to #1. You can't really top what the poor guy goes through, all because he made the right decision in the first episode.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Anime is full of charters with terrible karma. I know I would have a hard time trying to choose characters, whose life sucks most.

Come to think of it, Jack Vessalius from Pandora Hearts had to [spoiler]prostitute himself to earn a living and that's quite awful.[/spoiler I guess I would probably include some characters from Bokurano and of course Gilbert Cocteau from Kaze to Ki no Uta, I cannot think of another character with more screwed up childhood. Compared to that, characters from Fruits Basket lead a happy life.

Last edited by Aylinn on Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I thought Ranma Saotome would show up for sure here. The poor guy got a CRAPLOAD of scorn heaped his way through the series and, while he wasn't exactly the heroic selfless type, it was borderline disproportionate retribution. I pitied him for having almost half the entire cast conspire against him at any given point.

Then again, it eluded me for years that Ranma 1/2 was also supposed to be a comedy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3