• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hunter X Hunter (TV 2011).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote

Hunter X Hunter (TV 2011)

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, tournament
Themes: bounty hunters, coming-of-age, developing powers, gore, organized crime, special abilities, survival game

Plot Summary: Gon Freecs' father abandoned him as a baby in order to become a Hunter, an elite class with a license to go anywhere or do almost anything. Now 12 years old, Gon wishes to follow in his father's footsteps and become a great Hunter. While Gon faces the unexpected challenges the Hunter Examination throws at him, he makes friends with three other candidates: Kurapika, Leorio, and Killua.
----------------------------------

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

----------------------------------

What can be said about the new 2011' HxH anime relaunch after eight episodes?

1) scenario is not faithful to the manga (how much it is different from the first anime is secondary matter);

2) visuals of characters are not faithful to the manga (while not drastically different, rather small instead, there are many unnecessary changes here and there);

3) overall drawings/animation quality did not really improve or even got worse (some of character's clothing details got simplified, and the backgrounds became even more bland and empty);

4) the music is much weaker;

5) Gon's voice is not boyish enough comparing to the first anime; Kurapica and Killua are not worse than in the first anime, but not an improvement either (still not boyish enough). Leorio's voice is really good, but it sounds way older than this character's age supposes. Other voices are quite proper, though sometimes there are miscasts for secondary, tertiary characters.

So, overall, the show is not bad at all, but it is quite mediocre in rendition and bad in terms how well it respects the manga.

What especially bad about this re-launch is that because of it we might never be able to see Ants arc and the new arc, launched last month, animated faithfully and in a really good quality.

We could get something of mediocre quality in terms of animation and with many story/scenario short-cuts -- as we have now in this anime on older arcs of HxH manga.

So while we still have older arcs animated, in the old times (1999-2004), with the average rating "Excellent", which is incredibly rare for shonen shows of this type (Arithmetic mean 8.618 versus 7.974 for One Piece, which is also "Excellent"), what will happen with the newest arcs?

[EDIT: Merged the two threads together. Thanks to Kirkdawg for officially starting the original discussion thread and to MaxSouth for having a good opener, even though merging has screwed up some of the chronology of posts. -TK]
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
1) I kinda agree with this point...but then again I'm not too bothered, I'm watching this with the exact same mindset I had on when I watched FMA Brotherhood.

2) It's not that bad...Menchi with blue hair's a bit weird, but that's about it.

3)Nothing changed all that much for me, can't comment until they get to the York Shin City arc.

4)Agree...though I kinda like the little tune they play at the recap at the beginning of the every episode.

5)Disagree regarding Gon, while definitely different, it's not that bad.

Overall...I think the main problem with the anime is that it's animating stuff everyone already saw, and it's not speeding past these old episodes fast enough and the lack of Kaito, a very important plot character.
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Love the new anime so far.

And... am I the only one who sees Kurapika as the true hero of HXH!?

He has more presence and he's more dominant than Gon.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:28 am Reply with quote
In shonen manga (anime) secondary characters are often more interesting than main hero -- it is like a law or something.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote
Whoa, what? Where to begin?

1. Not true at all. The changes made in the 2011 version are limited to not including Kite's flashback as early, not having Hisoka murder a bunch of applicants for no reason, removing the Sushi portion of the second phase (while adding its criteria to Buhara's test), and making an updraft within Mt. Split-in-Half.

The first series, up to this point in related content, kills off Gon's mom, makes Mito unrelated to Ging, has Gon meet Leorio before he even gets onto the ship, doesn't have Kurapika tell Leorio about the Scarlet Eyes, doesn't introduce Gittarackur, has Tonpa reveal himself to the protagonists as a double-crosser the episode he arrives instead of waiting for the third phase, removes crucial elements regarding characters' fighting styles and techniques (Gon, Killua, Hisoka especially), changes its protagonists' personalities (Gon and Killua especially), that Anita filler, etc, etc. The list goes on for days.

2. What are you talking about here? I can understand if you're talking about Gon's jacket collar being different, but that's about the only one. If anything, the designs are more faithful to the manga. If you're talking hair colors, Togashi rarely gives his characters official colors. I can think of numerous examples in which a character in the series has had more than three different color schemes all done by him (including purple skin in one instance).

3. Not true. The backgrounds are indeed flatter, so I'll agree with that. But the drawings and animation quality in the first ten episodes of Madhouse's version exceed anything (and are more consistent, mind you--characters are rarely off model) shown within the first ten episodes of Nippon Animation's version.

4. That's entirely subjective. I happen to like the new series' music.

5. This is subjective too, though I will say that Kurapika and Killua's voice actresses are actually better at acting than their predecessors were at this point in the series. Some of Kurapika's lines in episodes 11 and 12 of the 1999 series were acted really poorly, and his actress doesn't fare better before that either. I like Gon's voice actress better in this, but that's largely because Madhouse's scripts aren't nearly as cringe-worthy when it comes to Gon's lines.

But I'm unsure as to how anyone thinks that the Chimera Ant arc won't be animated--especially considering that two characters only introduced in it appear in the prologue of every episode. The way you word your complaint, you seem to be of the opinion that Nippon Animation would be able to adapt the series better. Need I remind you of their last two attempts to animate Hunter x Hunter--the Greed Island OVAs? What makes you assume that the Chimera Ant arc under Nippon Animation would be more alike the 1999 series than the OVAs that were made in the years following it?
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Thanks for officially starting the thread, sort of... -TK]

I'll be the first to admit I was skeptical of this seemingly typical Shonen series, but you know what? For some reason it's won me over and hooked me unlike what other typical (big 3 come to mind) Shonen series do. The 4 heros are pretty likable kinda guys and the setting is fairly novel to me. Gon in particular is just a likable kid for me and a likable protagonist is pretty damn important for a show like this.

There's nothing in particular that's "innovative" or revolutionary about this show, but you know what? I check my calendar pretty regularly just to see when the next episode of this show is airing.

I apologize if this thread already exists and I didn't find it with my normal searching (check pages 1-5 of Anime forums) in advance.
NegativeGate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I saw most of the first series when I was younger but have not been watching the reboot, is this one drastically different from the other or does it just have just newer animation? Though people probably aren't talking about it because in the end the story has been told before and because of that isn't that complicated (even if it hadn't its still not a show requiring deep thought) and speculation for the show is pointless.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Hm, well for us new guys on the block who didn't watch the first show I think it's worth talking about. I suppose for people who've already seen the original it's not even worth considering(?). However, I have no idea how the two compare so someone else would be better suited to answer that question.
NegativeGate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
Not worth considering may be a little harsh, I did enjoy the old series for what it was but as you said there isn't anything innovative about it, so the reboot isn't something I'm pressed to go get as I still own the other. I assume many others feel this way if they saw the old one and similarly don't have it in the forefront of there minds so that's probably why there isn't a lot of talking going on but I doubt many people consider it totally worthless.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
It may not be innovative, but I'll be damned if I say it's worthless or without entertainment value. It beats those goals by a milestone, what I was meant was that people who've already seen it won't see much value in discussing the revamp because (as far as I'm aware) it's just a re-telling of the same story.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote
@ the OP

If you can, try to find Carl's anime preview of last season which includes the first episode or two of Hunter x Hunter 2011. In a nutshell he says (and I heavily agree) that the original Hunter x Hunter does not even need a remake. To my knowledge it stays pretty close to the manga story line and the only thing i'd argue is the pacing of the first 3 episodes.

To my knowledge (I've seen a few as well) the remake is exactly the samething just more condensed. Even the art isn't much better. The only thing I can think about is maybe some poor saps like myself can pray that they will continue on the series when this remake catchs up to the original @@...

The real reason why no one is talking about it is it's pretty much the same show. I highly suggest you check out the original instead but that's me.
NegativeGate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:
@ the OP

If you can, try to find Carl's anime preview of last season which includes the first episode or two of Hunter x Hunter 2011. In a nutshell he says (and I heavily agree) that the original Hunter x Hunter does not even need a remake. To my knowledge it stays pretty close to the manga story line and the only thing i'd argue is the pacing of the first 3 episodes.

To my knowledge (I've seen a few as well) the remake is exactly the samething just more condensed. Even the art isn't much better. The only thing I can think about is maybe some poor saps like myself can pray that they will continue on the series when this remake catchs up to the original @@...

The real reason why no one is talking about it is it's pretty much the same show. I highly suggest you check out the original instead but that's me.

Yeah I would tune in if they were going to continue it, but its been years since I watched it so if and when that happens I would have to start over from the beginning anyway, oh well I guess I'll just wait but even in the event that happens I won't purchase the reboots until that point in the story, it seems unnecessary.
An1fr3ak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:14 am Reply with quote
NegativeGate wrote:
I saw most of the first series when I was younger but have not been watching the reboot, is this one drastically different from the other or does it just have just newer animation? Though people probably aren't talking about it because in the end the story has been told before and because of that isn't that complicated (even if it hadn't its still not a show requiring deep thought) and speculation for the show is pointless.

They listed the new HunterXHunter as an alternate re-telling of the original series in the ANN database. I'm a massive fan of the all the original anime and OVA's concerning HunterXHunter, so I probably won't watch the new one. Have fun with the new version newbies Razz
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:13 am Reply with quote
As someone who previously watched the first HxH anime, this feels exactly like watching the early portion of FMA Brotherhood.

And it makes me anxious that they haven't planned to animate the later half of the manga yet since that's the only thing I care about.

While it's still entertaining(it's HunterXHunter afterall), the decision to outright reboot an anime that already went so deep into the manga outright worries me, and fear that I'll never get to see Chimera Ant Arc animated. Sad
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:16 am Reply with quote
I've never read the manga or seen the original, but I'm enjoying this version so far (although I skipped the flashback episode). For a Shonen Jump series, it has some pretty interesting characters and twists.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 52