• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comic Shop's DC-Funded Ad: 'Buy American,' Trade Manga for DC Issue

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
Nice to see we still can't shed the racism of WWII. "Buy American, not that (racist slur) crap!!"

Ugh. Guess this is 2012's version of last years Tohoku earthquake casualty toll comparison to PEARL HARBOR!!
kuriousity
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
Seeing this makes me feel physically ill. Comics are comics and this is nothing but discriminatory action based on a comics' origin. Should I get rid rid of all my French comics too? Korean? German?

Makes me glad to be Canadian. I'll keep 'buying Canadian' too, which I guess means I'll buy what I want from who I want because I like it.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
Every time I think of the phrase buy American, I think of the time I (luckily) had the chance to see an old Channellock advertisement that was selling online. This advertisement was easily from 1945-1950.

I am not one to nitpick (at least not with this type of material) but this DC funded ad states to buy American, but are the comics (currently as of 2012) still made in America these days?

Not going in the whole debate of American made products, but this truly does beg the question.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
Sure is protectionism up in DC Comics.
DifferentD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
I don't really think it's racist.. just stupid

Personally I don't care for American comics.. and I love manga.. they're totally different to me.

Not to mention there are still American jobs tied to manga and anime >>
Nick5x

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
I worry about what they'd do with all the manga volumes. Sell them? Toss them away?

Really, to me this says that DC (and the comic industry as a whole) is really hurting. It also tells me that the manga industry is doing much better than I thought in America.
amagee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
I'm curious to see how this goes over with fans at Megacon next month. There is increasingly more activity at anime/manga related booths, panels, celebrity autographs, etc. I doubt there will any real visible backlash but I imagine opinions will be thick in the air.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
Wow, thats pretty stupid.

And its also a total ripoff. Trade a $10 (or so) graphic novel for a flimsy $3 comic book? Thats $7 down the crapper.
burnpsy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
kuriousity wrote:
Seeing this makes me feel physically ill. Comics are comics and this is nothing but discriminatory action based on a comics' origin. Should I get rid rid of all my French comics too? Korean? German?

Makes me glad to be Canadian. I'll keep 'buying Canadian' too, which I guess means I'll buy what I want from who I want because I like it.

doubleO7 wrote:

And its also a total ripoff. Trade a $10 (or so) graphic novel for a flimsy $3 comic book? Thats $7 down the crapper.

You both took the words right out of my mouth.
slickwolfie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Nice to see we still can't shed the racism of WWII. "Buy American, not that (racist slur) crap!!"

Ugh. Guess this is 2012's version of last years Tohoku earthquake casualty toll comparison to PEARL HARBOR!!

This is racist? Seriously, you need to look up the term racism before you make such an obscene statement. This is a company saying they want people who read manga to start reading American style comic books, nothing more.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
Wow i can't believe it's come down to this kinda crap.

I don't really read american comics, and I don't think I ever will now if this is the kinda crap that these companies resort to.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
The "Buy American" provisions of the stimulus were silly and bad policy. This advertisement is just silly and unfortunately invokes, probably unthinkingly, xenophobia. In this context it's not especially pernicious, but it isn't admirable.

Crass economic patriotism like this is usually the hallmark of an industry that is being out-competed by foreign firms but cannot or will not try to in fact produce a better product. It doesn't generally benefit consumers much to reward it by playing along.

I have a particular distaste for it.

I have no animus toward American comics; I actually think that people who are interested in manga would do well to give them more consideration, but the superhero comics that dominate DC's lineup, and have become the flagbearers for American comics generally, seem to be a sort of cul-de-sac. They seem trapped in appealing to a very particular, fixed audience that might be reliable, but grows little and likes things that are inaccessible to outsiders. Ideally the would be developing a more diverse set of titles or finding some way to make its standard titles appealing to a wider audience. I can't imagine it doing the former, I can't see how the latter could be done and I struggle to imagine either succeeding even if tried.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
Now that is the dumbest thing I heard why would I buy dude in spandex when I can get ecchi school girls
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
All I needed was a dose of racism this morning. "Yawns"

Alright. Let's burn DC. >:3
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:

Stuff normally depreciates but there's a collector's market for comic books. Find a crappy volume 1 and get a new #1 issue from the new DC line. Depending on how well the line goes it could be a better tradeoff than just selling your manga on Ebay or Amazon.

Anyhoo. This 'Buy American' looks like a campy tie-in to the renumbering of the DC line and trying to bring back some nostalgia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9