• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magic Tree House Novel Sells 20 Times Faster Due to Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Those books were a huge part of my childhood, and I'm overjoyed that Mary Pope Osborne's series is gaining a significantly larger following in Japan. Due to the fact that they seem to have always sold a decent amount in America, perhaps it's likely for the new film to get brought over here? It would be a day-one purchase (I doubt it would come to theaters, unfortunately) for me, and I feel there's a big enough following to warrant a DVD/Blu-Ray edition for the US.

Also: Annie is downright ADORABLE in this! >3<
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
This looks kinda interesting. The style of the anime reminds me of Welcome to the Space Show. I wonder if anyone will sub it once the DVD comes out?
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading these books when I was little
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I've always loved the Magic Tree House books! After almost 20 years, the books are still going strong (the 48th book comes out in July). I hope there will be more films that adapts more story arcs (there are currently 12). It's also cool that this series also seems to be popular in Japan.

And I hope this makes it's way over to America, possibly with a mainstream home video release?
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I loved reading these books when I was a kid. Hopefully they'll animate more Magic Tree House books if the sales continue to do well.
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
I loved the books when I was a kid and read them often.

But I'm still not so sure if I'm all that thrilled about it getting an anime movie adaption. Heck I'm already bugged that the novel's book cover was redrawn to look rather anime'ish, but hey, publisher's choice I guess.

What makes me wonder though, why the sudden idea to adapt this book series? It doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would be high on animation companies' to-do lists... Did they even get Mary Pope Osborne's approval for this?
AnimeDuelist15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:28 am Reply with quote
I want to see that movie sooooo bad. It looks great. I loved the books when I was a kid.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:29 am Reply with quote
The Goron Marshall wrote:
Heck I'm already bugged that the novel's book cover was redrawn to look rather anime'ish, but hey, publisher's choice I guess.

They actually do that a lot in Japan, especially for the fantasy genre, but also something like Hunger Games got a completely manga / anime style cover.

Quote:
What makes me wonder though, why the sudden idea to adapt this book series? It doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would be high on animation companies' to-do lists... Did they even get Mary Pope Osborne's approval for this?

Sometimes somebody influential enough / in the right position just finds a book, likes it and decides to make it into a movie. The movies for Earthsea, Howl's Moving Castle or The Borrowers came out a long time after their novels. Maybe the success of Arrietty (and maybe also Erin) made them consider to adapt more children fantasy novels even if they're older?

Mary Pope Osborne also talks about her journey to Japan on her blog (and even the manga-fied art style). What she says about the movie:

Quote:
Japan is an amazing country. The look of the Jack and Annie in the anime – and in the Magic Tree House books published there – is very different from the look of Jack and Annie in America. But the spirit of the characters seems totally in tune with what I imagine Jack and Annie to be. And even though I don’t speak Japanese, I thought the sound of Jack and Annie’s voices in the anime was perfect – and the soaring music was exactly the right sound to match their tree house adventures.

The Japanese wikipedia actually says that there have been offers from all over the world to adapt the series, but the Japanese company got the rights because the author liked the illustrations of the Japanese novels so much (no source is mentioned though).
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Japan is definitely the best place to go to get your work adapted to animation. They tend to relish in the 'unconventional'. Shame J.K Rowling doesn't want an animated adaption of Harry Potter last I heard.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:17 am Reply with quote
This is nice to see, more variety in anime people watch.

Though I wonder how many people would've bothered if this isn't anime (not just talking about Japan B.O.)........ Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1