• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Niconico to Stream High School DxD, Symphogear, Milky Holmes 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:28 am Reply with quote
Better late than never for Symphogear, I guess. At least everything I'm watching now for Winter is legally streaming now so that's much good news. Hopefully Niconico will announce Black Rock Shooter next.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:40 am Reply with quote
I didn't see it mentioned in the article and I'm not the least bit familiar with Nico Nico, but is it safe to assume that these will be English streams? I was hoping for a legit source for subtitled Milky Holmes 2.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
God, I hate Nn. I've tried to register with them three times now and each time I go to log back in, the site tells me I have an incorrect username and/or password even though I am using the correct ones. Eff 'em. Hopefully the fansub aggregator I use for non-CR streams will just rip the Nico streams so I can see them without actually having to deal with Nico.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote
Is this everything Confused I thought for sure they'd be simulcasting Aquarion Evol... apparently not. I was also kinda hoping for Black Rock Shooter (and secretly Thermae Romae even though I was fairly certain that that wouldn't happen)
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
God, I hate Nn. I've tried to register with them three times now and each time I go to log back in, the site tells me I have an incorrect username and/or password even though I am using the correct ones. Eff 'em. Hopefully the fansub aggregator I use for non-CR streams will just rip the Nico streams so I can see them without actually having to deal with Nico.

They currently rip the NN streams from last season (like Shana and Guilty Crown), so I assume they still will. Its better than having to deal with that mess of a player which constantly freezes and can't go full screen.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I wasn't even getting into Nico's utterly crappy player. Actually, the fansubbers who have been doing Symphogear and High School DxD seem to be doing a pretty good job so I'm not even sure I care if I see the Nico rips or not.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

They currently rip the NN streams from last season (like Shana and Guilty Crown), so I assume they still will. Its better than having to deal with that mess of a player which constantly freezes and can't go full screen.

Some NN's streams (Guilty Crown, Last Exile, Shana) are not encrypted, so you don't really have to deal with their player for those if you don't want to.
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Just sign in with facebook?

Player works fine, the only problem being the resolution on the videos is small.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Just sign in with facebook?

Player works fine, the only problem being the resolution on the videos is small.

If by fine, you mean the inability to progress to anywhere in the video without having to wait for it to load the entire thing first (and it takes a long time to do that, like 15 minutes), not being able to go full screen, and having it constantly freeze, then yeah the player works fine. The freezing combined with the inability to go to anywhere in the video makes it unwatchable.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Sweet fine some on streaming Milky Holmes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I didn't see it mentioned in the article and I'm not the least bit familiar with Nico Nico, but is it safe to assume that these will be English streams?

Yep they are English subs. Nico Nico isn't my favorite steaming service, but I'll pick it over fan subs any day based on my principles.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
On a related note, Nico Nico may be having another technical problem.

Suddenly, when I go to play any anime there, including an episode I viewed only 2 days earlier, it gives me the following message:

Quote:
Failed to play the video
This video can only be viewed from the following regions:
CANADA
UNITED STATES

Which is rather strange, given that I am in the southern United States. Signing out and signing back in had no effect.

I expect if I'm not in the minority here, views of their anime will be essentially zero until the problem is resolved. Too bad even contacting them requires have a Facebook account.
halo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
And currently they have fouled up thier region blocking service and are banning US and Canada residents.

Quote:
Failed to play the video

This video can only be viewed from the following regions:
CANADA
UNITED STATES

RyanSaotome wrote:

If by fine, you mean the inability to progress to anywhere in the video without having to wait for it to load the entire thing first (and it takes a long time to do that, like 15 minutes), not being able to go full screen, and having it constantly freeze, then yeah the player works fine. The freezing combined with the inability to go to anywhere in the video makes it unwatchable.

You can go to full screen if you enable some option. I forget where it is in the player options and I can't access it due to the above issue. last Exile and Guilty Crown had decent video after selecting that and the highest quality stream setting.

I'll agree with the rest of your complaints. The freezing and seeking can be solved by letting the whole video buffer but that itself is annoying. I'll also add that having to disable the inane comments on every video is annoying. Those may be cute for AMV/MADs or fashion shows but not for anime episodes.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow... seems like a LOT of trouble to go though just to watch it legally. You'd think they'd try and make is as easy as possible. But hey... what do I know?
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear that there is a way to watch Symphogear legally, since I've been wanting to check it out. Milky Holmes 2 is a surprise, though, as I thought Crunchyroll would get that one (I guess they have enough of this season's series, already).

Now, when is Niconico finally going to post Haganai? I thought that was a "Funico" title, as I'd much rather watch it there than at FUNimation, since I am a subscriber there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2