• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dj rub

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:17 pm Reply with quote
My top 5....

1. Cowboy Bebop. Need I say more? The non-cliched characters in this series are what stand out. The dialouge is great and the writing for the show seems to be flawless. Every character is unique and feels human. That is, they all have their flaws and this makes this anime stand out. The writing of each episode is great in that it takes a different approach every time it starts and each episode feels like a mini-movie all the while tieing in with the main plotlines of the crew. The music here is top-notch too and seems to cover all genres. I own all the soundtracks. I love Bebop to death!

2. Grave of the Fireflies. Best WWII movie I've ever seen! The struggle in this movie is truly moving and anyone who watches it will surely feel the pain and suffering of the children here, and one may even feel sadness for what all happened during the bombings in WWII. I know I was moved, and Roger Ebert and other critics across the board have all called it a triumph. Be sure to check this one out!

3. Princess Mononoke. There's a ceratin nostalgia factor here, but I also think its a film everyone can enjoy. Some of the best dubbing done in animation ever! The translation was a little off between the Japanese and English versions, but the professional voice casting more than makes up for it. The story is amazing and a spiritual aspect once again shows up and moves the watcher to become more interested. Some may even check out the religion of Shinto after seeing this movie. Even anime-haters can find something to like here!

4. Spirited Away - Will anything trump Miyazaki's spirit and ingenuity? The answer is no. This should've gotten more than just "best animated film" at the Academy Awards. It should've been the film of the year. Every age group can benefit from seeing this film. It reaches all spectrums of people, and has a unique mix of comedy, romance and spirituality.

5. Haibane Renmei. The anime world needs more things like this easy going, but hard to swallow piece of TV. Amazing show from start to finish, and with no action or battles at all it sure keeps you interested and tense.

Last edited by dj rub on Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
smutchi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:33 pm Reply with quote
dj rub wrote:
My top 5....

1. Cowboy Bebop. Need I say more?

2. Grave of the Fireflies. Best WWII movie I've ever seen!

3. Princess Mononoke. There's a ceratin nostalgia factor here, but I also think its a film everyone can enjoy.

4. Spirited Away - Will anything trump Miyazaki's spirit and ingenuity?

5. Haibane Renmei. The anime world needs more things like this easy going, but hard to swallow piece of TV. Amazing show from start to finish, and with no action or battles at all it sure keeps you interested and tense.

Maybe you could add some more information on why exactly you listed these anime? I'm interested in your reasons for liking them!
Besides, Nagisa will probably ask you to do so anyway (list threads are not allowed, you're expected to give reasons...).
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:03 pm Reply with quote
dj rub wrote:
1. Cowboy Bebop. Need I say more?

Yes, you do. After all, we do require that people actually explain the reasons they list a title.

dj rub wrote:
2. Grave of the Fireflies. Best WWII movie I've ever seen!

We guessed that was your take on it from the very fact that it appears on your Top Favourites list. Why do you think it's the best WWII movie, though?

dj rub wrote:
4. Spirited Away - Will anything trump Miyazaki's spirit and ingenuity?

But what, to you, is "Miyazaki's spirit and ingenuity?"

Sorry to be harsh, but we need real reasons, and not simply pretty words that dodge the issue. People have gotten away with that much too much thus far, as it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dj rub

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:58 pm Reply with quote
There, I edited my post and explained!
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Excellent work. Exactly what this thread needs more of. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Okie dokie, this seems interesting so I'll post my top five favorites and 3 of my dislikes.

#1 ~Cowboy Bebop~
Everything about this anime is great. What I adore about it the most is that the art is splendid, the music is fantastic, and you just have to love the characters. Unlike many anime, there is very few repititions and the show doesn't dread along with the plot for very long. I love everything about this show and I'm thrilled about the soon to be released Remix DVDs.

#2 ~Samurai Champloo~
I love the up-current mood to this anime series, and the fact it mizes hip-hop with samurai. The animation is unlike any other series, which also appeals to me more. I'm a sucker for old feudal stuff, but this happens to be the best out of all of them to me. Not only does it teach you some things, it teaches it with style.

#3 ~Naruto~
This anime doesn't seem to be repetative to me, ^^; but that's just me. I enjoy the characters and the plots that go along with the series. The background music isn't the best, but it fits the mood of the show very well. What I like about this is all the different characters that are in the series. There has to be atleast one character you can relate with.

#4 ~Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex~
X3 I'm also a sucker for shows that are kind of like CSI. This show caught my eye with the animation techniques and the different techonologies they use to figure out a crime. The music is beautiful and there is more to the show rather than just solving mysteries and crimes, which I also enjoy. I'm anxious to see the second season.

#5 ~Fullmetal Alchemist~
This story is very unique to me, so it's understandable as to why I was drawn to it. Even though it looks like is may be a happier show from the pictures you may see on t-shirts or magazines, there's a lot more to it than what it seems to be. It touched me in many places and made me cry at times, but it makes me feel good to know my family's here with me.

Least Liked Shows

#1 ~Dragonball Z~
Usually I would like a show like this, but the thing I dislike is the fact that the attacks are repetative and the plot always seems the same and drags on. I would say this show would have been better if it were only 26 episodes long.

#2 ~Saiyuki~
I loved the manga to this series, but the anime wasn't good. The voices are done badly and the plot changes as to where the main focus is, is the "bishie-ness." I would rather read the manga over this animation.

#3 ~Chobits~
I also adored the manga to this series, but the anime didn't have that feeling that I loved in the manga. It was missing something. The plot was also slightly changed and the voices were also very annoying.
Bl@Ze

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:08 pm Reply with quote
ok i'll just say my top 5 favorite

1. Naruto
Interesting plot n action, however its alittle long (only watched till 125) Sasuke is Cool^.^

2. Full Metal Alchemist
Interesting plot too n nice characters (i completed this show in just 1 week, it so interesting)

3. Inuyasha
Very good drawing (nice music) long though

4. Gundam Seed Destiny
i only watch the starting though but by it i can tell it's good(very good)

5. Bleach
lol nothing more to say~.~......(nice songs too)
animan09

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:42 pm Reply with quote
just my top 6

1. Kiddy Grade- great storyline, nice drawings, and a lot of action, the plot is a little twisted but it makes it even more interesting.

2. Chrono Crusade- the storyline is very cinematic, it really makes an impact, not to mention the action sequences (especially with the devils)

3. Full Metal Alchemist- the storyline keeps you asking for more and the action is more than what you could ask for. This is a great show that no one should miss.

4.Elfen Lied- It's hauntingly beautiful.

5. Kenshin- excellent action scenes along with some pretty funny stuff.

6 Trigun- There is no need to ask why. One word "Vash."
sweet_lavender

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:18 am Reply with quote
top 5 anime:

1. Fruits Basket- This was such a heart warming story...it made me almost cry. The background picture was nice and the characters have all different personalities...

2. Fullmetal Alchemist- This is also one of my favorite anime...it's action and drams grabbed my attention... this anime gave me curiousity and wants me to turn to the next episode every time.

3. Elfen Lied- this anime is so cool. The story was quite sad and made me cry. I especially liked the character of how each one of them reacted. The action was awesome(although there were a lot of killing) and it made me drool all over!

4. Bleach-this anime has a lot of comedy. The story was set up really nice and as it continues,there's a lot more seriousness and action.

5. Aishiteruze Baby- awwww!!(so cute). it's a very touching story and.....no comment....it's such a cute story!!

3 anime and movie i dislike:
1. Dragonball Z- such a wierd story...so fake and the story does not make any sense.

2.Yu-Gi-Oh-such a stupid show...saving the whole world with a deck of monster cards.

3. naruto movie 2- this story is unexpectedly, the most weird...when i was watching the movie, i predicted naruto will win and live in happiness...this is so true. in conclusion, This movie was quite boring.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:11 am Reply with quote
my faveorit anime shows are 1. super GALS! its funny i love the chariter relayshinships and the animtion is very beutaful. 2. full metal alchmist it has evrething a good show should have comedy drama and action. 3. kodocha its wacky emothional and it has gret charicters i ecspelly like sana she is sooooooooooo kawaii.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
coolGAL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:27 am Reply with quote
Oh i forgot to type down my lest faveorit anime shows and movies.
1. Dragon ball z and Drago ball GT both are very anoying and the action gets very repetitive and the cahraricters are anoying.
2. Witch Hunter Robin its dull there is very littel action and the charicter chemistrey boaring plus the op them sonf end them song are just anoying.
3. Any Gundum seris no offvines but i just don't like those giant robot shows tho i really did enjoy evanglion and i might give raxephon a try too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
vector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen much anime, but some of my favorites would be:

Outlaw Star: One of the first anime I saw, so it is a sentimental favorite.

Zeta Gundam: Maybe its just me, but once you have seen one gundam, you have seen them all. This was the first one I watched and all the others seemed to follow a similar plot. This one just seemed the most refined to me.

Cowboy Bebop: It was interesting and had good variety, a good ending and nice flow.

Berserk: Liked the plot and the middle age setting. Liked the ending, just wish there would have been more to it.

Kenshin: I really liked the Kyoto Arc but haven't saw much else of the series.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Kind of like a gundam with deeper character and plot development.

Just reading through the first page there are some anime that I never heard of but sound interesting to me, like: Now and then, here and there, Haibane Renmei, RahXephon and Serial Experiment Lain.

For the least favorite:

DBZ: I saw something like episodes 110-200 and just got tired of it and don't plan on watching the begining or the end.

Trigun: I liked most of this show but was annoyed by how they switch from serious to rediculous back and forth constantly.

One Piece: Have only saw a few episodes on CN. Shows like this make me lose hope with CN. I hate dubs and commercials, so I might give the sub a chance yet.

Gundam Wing: After seeing zeta, I only made it through about 12 episodes of this. Hated just about every aspect of the series.
Arkard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Many things have happened. My anime selection has somewhat evolved. I found new titles, re-found old ones and finally could formulate an honest Top 10 Anime List. So here it is, in ALPHABETICAL (reverse) order.

10. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Now see... this is what happens when you actually let the studios do their job while supporting them with a nice budget and a genius source story. The second D movie had it all for me. A captivating plot, incredible characters, though I couldnt really relate to many of them, beautiful art and some original ideas which sealed the deal for VHD: Bloodlust to get on the list. I will never forget the scene when spoiler[Growth`s soul demolished the Demon City, or how the vampire went out into the sunlight to try and save Charlotte]. B-E-A-T-I-F-U-L.
9. Trigun
There is something special about this one. The first time I heard about it was from an article in a polish anime-magazine. The author, honestly, didn't do a very good job reviewing Trigun but his work did make the show seem interesting but not actually "good". I went and got it thinking I am in for a good western comedy anime. Boy, was I wrong.
It sure starts like that, but when time passed I could find so much more. One of the treasures of Trigun is Wolfwood, one of my fav characers of all time. The series made me laugh, wonder, cry and think. It just had to be on The List.
8. SaiKano
I watched this series twice. I cant bring myself to watching it for the third time. I break down. I cry. I fall into a lame depressing state after each watching. The story is so beautiful, so sad, so real to the core (excluding all the SF stuff) it just kinda reminds me of my life in some ways. I guess I can relate to some of the characters which only makes the series harder for me. But I love to feel those emotions. Thats why SaiKano made my list. Plus the original chara design was a big plus.
7. Ruroni Kenshin OAV (first series)
The whole first set of OAVs is like a poem. A touching poem about trust, betralay and loyalty. Kenshin is one of the most tragic characters I found in anime series. A lost child, because thats what he really is, trying to change the world with his "power". Doesn`t it sound familiar? And the Japanese settings... are breath taking for me. One of my fav scenes is at the end when spoiler[the bearded guy sent out to kill Kenshin declares his loyalty to the shogunate]. I dont know why, but it really got to me. Kenshin is simply great and a must-see for all anime fans.
6. Ninja Scroll
One of my first anime ever. The memories take me a while back. I guess I really enjoyed the fights and the different types of villains with super powers. I was always a sucker for "super heroes". Jubei is one of the best anime creations ever. He is ambivalent, not sure if what he does is for good or not. His care free life styles appeals to me and I can dig it Smile And also, spoiler[the final fight with Genma rocked.]
5. Haibane Renmei
Hmm... now this was a surprise for me. I was expecting a light hearted, maybe even gooffy series about some sort of angels but ended up with a dark suspense anime I will never forget. Not only was it dark but it was mysterious as hell. You are not even given an answer at the end. You hve to figure out everything on your own. So Haibane makes you think. And I respect it for that. I dont think there is a title that could throw this series off my Fav List.
4. GTO
God almighty I dont remember the last time I laughed so hard by an anime. Eikichi Onizuka is a strong contender for Best Character Ever. His total lack of responsibility, ambition and respect for his fellow teachers makes him a walking comedy. Not to mention his love for cosplay or the incredible martial arts abilities. I mean, how can you not love GTO? And if you dont, then you are a communist! (Juuuuuuuust kidding! Really!).
3. Fullmetal Alchemist
I can only aplaud the author for creating such an original world from scratch. Seriously, I am envious. The mythology, politics, history, geography.. it all works so well. Even though the main characters are children the series is easily appreciated by adults. But thats not a shocker... with a plot that good all anime fans should like Fullmetal Alchemist.
2. Cowboy Bebop
Aaahh... arguably, Cowboy Bebop may be my fav anime of all times. Hmm... where to beggin...? OK, how about the animation? Cowboy Bebop is like, what, 7 years old? Right, 7 years old, but it still manages to put modern series to shame with its beautiful animation style and chara design. And what about the music? Great pieces of jazz and blues incorporated to the series made Cowboy Bebop a legend. Can`t say I am a big fan of the jazz genre but listening to the CB OST one can easily change his mind. And the plot? I dare some people to show me a better one, though the matter is highly subjective. I love it. Especially Spike`s past. And of course.. who could forget the ending.. Dear God the ending! The first time I cried for an anime series. I can never forget it. I replay it in my mind over and over again, even today. My mind was blank then, I didn't know what I was supoose to feel, but I knew one thing - Cowboy Bebop is one of the best series Ever Made and it will carry its crown for future generations to come.
1. BECK
Only recently I finished this series, but halfway through I could tell it will end up on my List. One of the best things in BECK is undoublty the music. Beautiful soft rock and occasional punk. The world of music is one of those really close to my heart so BECK was a series I could relate to in 100%. That was a shocker. There are so many more great things I could say about it but the bottom line is: BECK is simply awesome. And I can recommend it to every fan out there.

Now my 3 Least Fav titles... in no particulat order.
3. Ninja Ressurrection
A slap to the face for the anime fandom. I couldnt find one single thing that I would like in this piece of trash. OK, maybe I am biased because of all those people claiming THIS to be a Ninja Scroll sequel but the truth is NR was not worth even a second of my time and believe me, my time is not worth much Wink
2. Saint Beast
So much potential.. and the result? A stupid bishie series. Whoopie.. Sad
1. Air Master
How in the world did this thing gout out will remain a mystery to me. The plot was so weak that I couldnt bring myself to watch past the first episode.. but that was back then. I decided to be a little bit more fair and gave it 7 episodes. That only made it worst. Air Master was trite, boring and had a bunch of strange characters I could never like. It didn't have the spark that would hold up my attention. Thus, ended up here.
TonytheMan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:15 pm Reply with quote
It's so hard to decide...I watched so much animes, I've been watching japanese animes since i was 5 years old. '

1.)SLAM DUNK!!!
Wow, this is the funniest anime by far. It's incredible, it's about backetball, kind of. I recommend everyone to watch it. Even though you are not a baller, u will definitely love this anime.
2.) Kenshin
-I especially like the story, alot of action, characters are well defined. I hate the OAV ending though. But the manga has the real ending, not the OAV.
3.) DBZ
-I don't know why so many people dislike it.(maybe it wasn't popular in US until X yrs ago....) But this series it's a true classic of all time. It's been around for decades. I remember when i was 9-10, this show start to HIT HUGE in Asia. (Hong Kong) and we'll start trading DBZ cards. Wow now that's the good time. The story does grind and drag alot. But whenever I watch/listen the anime/music, it like an instant flashback to the past. However ,I felt like alot of westerners dislike it.
4.) Bleach
-Incredible fighting and alot of humors. This anime is very funny. And alot of action from time to time.
5.) Macross 7
-Another classic. This one is very unique, robot that does not fight but use "song". The musics were done super-B.
6.) Berserk
-The ending sucks. But this one can really get you hook. I can't stop watching this one. I finished the whole series in 1-2 day. (Non-stopped) It's very bloody, very cruel and i really like that.
7.) Fruit Basket
This anime must be on alot of the female list. But hey this is a funny and heart-warming anime. It is so good that I bought every manga for this series. (keep them coming)
8.)Naruto
This is out of expectation. At beginning, i thought this anime is gonna be "all that good". The story grabs. You will love all chars in this series because they EXPLAINED so much. Probably the only "anime from manga" out there that follow so closely to the manga!
9.)Initial D
Wow, this one will grabs you. I doesn't matter if you are into car or not. The music and story plot, the dialogue between chars. The beginning is THE best. Later on it gets old. Like stage 4...arr yeah
10.) His and Her circumstances.
Another one that i really like. I watch this because of love for Eva. And this is another heart-warming anime. I personally enjoy it and i still read the mangas.

Worth to mention list.
Vampire Hunter D, GTO, Cowboy Bebop, Hunter X Hunter, Gundam Seed and Destiny, Gundam Z, Ah my goddess, My HiME, One Piece, Detective Conan, Trigun, etc....wow I actually loved all these.
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:39 pm Reply with quote
TonytheMan wrote:
1.)SLAM DUNK!!!
Wow, this is the funniest anime by far. It's incredible, it's about basketball, kind of. I recommend everyone to watch it. Even though you are not a baller, you will definitely love this anime.

I did like what I saw in Slam Dunk, and I would have enjoyed it even more had Toei not butchered its presentation in the American market. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 122