• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Microsoft France Marketing Suggests No XBox 360 Successor in 2012

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
I REALLY dont want any new consoles. There's no need for them, not for a long long long time. We're okay where we are right now I say
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
TBH, I couldn't care less if XBOX dies out. PlayStation and Nintedo consoles are all I need.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:27 am Reply with quote
Who said anything about Xbox dying out?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
Good! I don't want new consoles. I don't need new consoles. The longer we can put this crap off the better.
greensoulreaper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:17 am Reply with quote
Maybe they're playing it safe for now, and waiting to see how Nintendo does with the Wii U. Hell, even Sony says they'll be the last ones to announce anything new...
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
We did just get 2 new handhelds (well, one's just around the corner...) and Wii U soon too. It would be a bad idea to introduce either a new PS or Xbox this year. Too soon.... Plus sales are great both hardware and software-wise for both! The only reason 2 new handhelds were introduced, were for some graphic upgrades, new features, and because the former models were dying out... Wii U? Well, the Wii market has finally dried up... Zelda perked it up a bit, but still...
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:39 am Reply with quote
People saying we don't need another console... yeah, we do. PCs are so far ahead of consoles now it's fairly shameful. A new generation is definitely in order, since this one has gone on far longer than any previous generation.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:51 am Reply with quote
Aren't we about to reach a point where games are so realistic that upgrades aren't even possible anymore? PS3 uses Blu-Ray--what next after that? At least within the traditional controller-interface gaming model. Which is why Nintendo must be applauded for the groundbreaking success that was the Wii, and the expansion on that success to come (Wii U)

As for Xbox, it has Kinect, but pretty much the only innovation left is Blu-Ray. Wii and its ilk in Nintendo seem gimmicky now, but that kind of gameplay is the wave of the future, the last frontier once you've beefed up gaming to Blu-Ray movie quality.
Jacut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:01 am Reply with quote
Factual error : LePoint.fr is everything but a gaming website, it's the website of a serious mainstream newspaper weekly (French equivalent to the Time Magazine).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
umm didn't microsoft state at E3 last year during their whole presentation of the kinect that they were going to try and make the xbox 360 last another FIVE Years before their next console? so wouldn't that mean that their next console will come out in 2016 and not 2012 or 2013
naninanino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
The only ones crying for next gen are butthurt PC fanboys, because they need to leech on console games to be able to have their fun. Usually free fun to add.

Next gen can take its time. I hope it is a bit more reliable in terms of hardware to the current one.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
PC's are supposed to be the cutting edge. Consoles are for those that want complete standardization for their gaming software, so they don't have to worry about settings, drivers, and other compatibility issues that PC users do.

As to comments that PC fanboys are crying for next gen consoles is laughable. Gaming PC users take pride in their machines, and the last thing they would want is for consoles to be even close to the capability that a gaming PC allows for. PC gamers are human just like anyone else, and if there is a popular game on the console, yeah, we would like to play it also. PC's also have their own pipeline for games, some that never see the light of day on a console. There is also, quite a bit of cross-pollination of games between the PC's and consoles.

When it comes right down to it, only the UBER fans of the console and the PC really think each is better than the other. Most others realize that it just comes down to different markets, controls, and types of gaming. You don't see much PC strategy games, making the cut into consoles, or Console exercise, music, and dancing games being ported onto the PC.

Personally, I think game creators see the PC as the place where they cut their teeth, and the console where they make their big time money.

On a anime related note, kinda sad that anime related console games typically are not ported to the PC and that what PC anime games are out there, have to be bought on-line.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
PCs are so far ahead of consoles now it's fairly shameful.

PCs have always been ahead of consoles and this will not change. In order for console makers to penetrate the home market, they must first make sure most people don't see these as computers and the price point is approachable.

The current generation of games show no signs of needing better consoles because it's a never-ending cat-and-mouse chase. Consoles get more power, but developers keep pushing the limits with unnecessary, over-the-top graphics. While I will admit graphics are pleasing, we've seen stellar examples where they're moot when the purpose of the game is diminished, exampled with Final Fantasy XIII.

While I do see a fair amount of tearing, we can't blame this on console limitations. I see tearing in PCs as well, so this tells me it's the way graphics are created that's the root, not the power.

Evident, mind you, when tearing seems consistent across several games. If graphics are engineered to be developed in a specific manner, it's why we see the common traits regardless of the hardware. Another example of this were "jaggies", which weren't removed when XBox games were played on the more powerful 360. Instead, they were merely aliased better, which isn't a rendering attribute, but a coverup.

When those who seek to demand we need a new console actually provide support to the need, I'll be more than intent on accepting a possibility, but if the goal is to see a finer image detail of Lara Croft's protruding nipples, then I shall simply roll my eyes this is a justified reason. You don't need a high-end PC to gain access to "GamingPronTube".
naninanino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
As to comments that PC fanboys are crying for next gen consoles is laughable. Gaming PC users take pride in their machines, and the last thing they would want is for consoles to be even close to the capability that a gaming PC allows for.

You misunderstood.

You see, these days the most popular games also get made for consoles, since they need that market. And nothing grinds the gears of a PC gamer more than feeling that consoles are dragging their games down, even though they're dependant on them.

Simple logic 101.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
You misunderstood.

You see, these days the most popular games also get made for consoles, since they need that market. And nothing grinds the gears of a PC gamer more than feeling that consoles are dragging their games down, even though they're dependant on them.

Simple logic 101.

Indeed. So many games get dumbed down for the console audience that it does affect the PC version (Battlefield 3 being a perfect example.. compare it to the first one, or even the second. Or heck, even the futuristic spin-off)

Though that's more to do with accommodating a controller than anything else. I suppose if consoles ever offer keyboard and mouse controls as a standard like PCs, that'll change.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2