• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Delays Fairy Tail Part 4, Heaven's Lost Property Season 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
Darn, the month of April is packed heavily with anime DVDs/BDs I really want (not to mention there's a certain game I want coming out in April, too).

I hope there's nothing wrong with discs FUNimation's having issues with in the past year. :/

At least, I can save money for those when they're finally released.
fsunole90

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
eh normally i dont mind. but damnit! these 2 were up there in my most wanted list. yea yea its only 3 weeks delay but still Sad
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
Well that turned out lucky for me now I can get Code Geass R2 now instead of Fairy Tail vol4
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
I think it is best for the anime industry as a whole if we all boycott Heaven's Lost Property Season 2.

I love compromise but there are times when you just need to say no. If JP companies keep giving ridiculous restrictions to funimation then they need to say no. And the only way either of these companies are going to learn anything is if you don't buy it.

Feel free to buy the first season if you want to show support.
The American Average

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:13 am Reply with quote
Fairy Tail delay? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
silencer226

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
Sweet, the blow to my wallet for Madoka has been softened ever so slightly. Wishful thinking but I wonder if they delayed HLP Season 2 to get BD... Wishful thinking?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:01 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
I think it is best for the anime industry as a whole if we all boycott Heaven's Lost Property Season 2.

I love compromise but there are times when you just need to say no. If JP companies keep giving ridiculous restrictions to funimation then they need to say no. And the only way either of these companies are going to learn anything is if you don't buy it.

I'm not a R1 fan, but even I can see that boycotting an industry thats already struggling financially isn't the right thing to do.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:23 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
potatochobit wrote:

I'm not a R1 fan, but even I can see that boycotting an industry thats already struggling financially isn't the right thing to do.

Somehow I think Funimation has gotten the message, from canceled pre-orders if nothing else, on the Heaven's Lost Property Season 2 Blu-ray cancellation.

No doubt the studio in Japan knows about it too or will the next time their licensing people talk to Funimation.

Once you have committed to a release for a product you can only hurt yourself if you have to alter it.

Funimation will be at the MegaCon in Orlando in two weeks. Maybe they will have something to say.

Mark Gosdin
yuetheguardian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:32 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
potatochobit wrote:

Honestly i am doing the same thing to Madoka magica and the gundam unicorn blurays, i love the industry and have always been an advocate to buy any series you like, but i cannot support the recent japanese involvments, i'm begining to think that bluray wil become the death of the animerican anime industry because of fear from japanese companies,Yes btw i still buy my region 1 dvd's and blurays i am just becoming more choosy about how much i am willing to spend. back onto topic though Fairy Tail i have heard alot of good things about and heavens lost property um, not my type of show..

edit- added the fact i still buy my blurays
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:40 am Reply with quote
Is it possible that FUNi needs to delay Fairy Tail Volume 4 to prevent a possible "reverse gray market" back to Japan? After all, the USA and Japan share the same Blu-ray region coding (Region A) and there has been much discussion in Japan about US-market Blu-ray anime discs being resold on the gray market in Japan, especially considering the very steep price of Japanese domestic anime DVD releases.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:17 am Reply with quote
Sacto0562 wrote:
Is it possible that FUNi needs to delay Fairy Tail Volume 4 to prevent a possible "reverse gray market" back to Japan? After all, the USA and Japan share the same Blu-ray region coding (Region A) and there has been much discussion in Japan about US-market Blu-ray anime discs being resold on the gray market in Japan, especially considering the very steep price of Japanese domestic anime DVD releases.

That's the heart of the matter.

By being in the same Blu-ray region the US and Japanese entertainment industries are finding themselves tied together.

The consequences of this are still being discovered, particularly for the Japanese as their domestic market for entertainment earns it's money in a markedly different fashion than the US or even other Region A markets such as Taiwan.

Interesting times indeed.

Mark Gosdin
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:32 am Reply with quote
Sacto0562 wrote:

Fairy Tail isn't anywhere near a big seller on DVD in Japan.
Also, FUNi's BD of Fairy Tail is an upscale, and a bad one at that.
The Japanese BD buyers tend to be very savy on whether something is worth the HD treatment.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
To be fair, I was rather surprised at how quickly FUNimation were churning out Fairy Tail in the first place - 12 new episodes a month. This does however, make the Madoka dent a bit softer, so I'm cool. I'm not a fan of Heaven's Lost Property; but I can see why the BD being cancelled as well as this delay would really put off fans.

In regards to the possibility of grey-market imports in Japan; if that was the case, why didn't the Japanese side just not allow FUNimation to upscale the Standard Definition videos in the first place? (the back of the Fairy Tail boxes admits that the Blu-rays are SD remasters). As for Blu-Ray being what might kill the anime industry, considering that America sharing the same BD region as Japan is making Japanese companies hesitant, while Europe, who has a different BD region, haven't accepted blu-ray as quickly as Japan and America (seriously; anime on blu-ray is still a very risky business here).

One thing I wonder though is, how much does Europe sharing a DVD region with Japan affect reverse importing? I guess the big difference is though, at least in the UK, a lot of the releases we get are sublicensed from America instead of made here, so we often get them a fair bit later (for example, before the delay, the US would have had Fairy Tail part 4 before the UK got part 1).

Saying that though, the Puella Magi Madoka Magica blu-rays are advertised on Aniplex USA's website as being Region Free. As America and Japan share a blu-ray region, isn't that basically Aniplex baiting the Region B and Region C countries from importing? (especially as Aniplex's only retailers are American).
NeumanProductions

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
Everything will move to Blu-ray eventually so it is only a matter of time before the Blu-ray rights just get added into the normal contract.

Also, I would have liked to have word from FUNimation on the reasons for the delays. I know sometimes companies don't like to say but if its just a manufacturing or source delay then I understand. I like my companies to be more up front at all times.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

don't be silly, I never said you cannot buy anymore anime ever again
go buy dragonball or baka and test, whatever you like

however, if you care about the right thing to do and the direction the anime industry is headed then you should absolutely not buy heaven's lost property II, and I actually like that season

as others above have said, this is not a DVD vs. Bluray debate, this is a licensing issue with Japan attempting to protect reverse importation by selling to us, in america, an inferior product.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2