• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bandai Entertainment discontinued anime releases update

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Note: I'm using TRSI as the reference point here. And there are some Honneamise titles listed as well.

This list shouldn't come as surprise to some. Some of the releases listed below have collections while others will be a no. There is no certainty that products will get replenished. I would expect more releases to be added in the (near) future.

These have been removed from TRSI already.
  • Akira Blu-ray (Hyb)
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion DVD Part 2 (Hyb)
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion DVD Part 3 (Hyb)
  • Diebuster the Movie Blu-ray (S)
  • Freedom (Freedom Project) DVD Part 1 (Hyb)
  • Freedom (Freedom Project) DVD Part 2 (Hyb)
  • Gurren Lagann DVD 1 (S) Special Edition with CD (eps 1-9)
  • Gurren Lagann DVD 2 (S)
  • Gurren Lagann DVD 3 (S)
  • Gurren Lagann DVD Part 2 (Hyb) (vol 3-4)
  • Hayate the Combat Butler DVD Part 4 (S)
  • Hayate the Combat Butler DVD Part 6 (S)
  • Hayate the Combat Butler DVD Part 8 (S)
  • Haruka DVD 4 (S)
  • Haruka DVD 6 (S)
  • Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya DVD 2 (Hyb)
  • SOS! Tokyo Metro Explorers: The Next Blu-ray (S)
  • Super Robot Wars: The Original Generation: The Divine Wars DVD 3 (S)
  • Super Robot Wars: The Original Generation: The Divine Wars DVD 8 (S)
  • Super Robot Wars: The Original Generation: The Divine Wars DVD 9 (S)

These have counters now. I denoted a few that are getting very low.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Aw, crud - looks like I've already missed the boat on some of the Hayate sets.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Aw, crud - looks like I've already missed the boat on some of the Hayate sets.

Keep in mind, you should be able to get most of what's listed elsewhere. The key idea here (with the list) is it may be to one's best interest to act now (or soon) rather than later.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I really want to own Akira on BD, but the special features are lacking. I want a definitive edition of this outstanding piece of art. If it goes out of print, does that mean someone else could get the license some day? I'd love for Criterion Collection to give it a go...
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow this is a depressing (but useful, don't get me wrong!) thread. I'd just thought I'd mention that Wolf's Rain was de-listed about a month or so ago, but I haven't heard any official word on whether or not it's out of print.

@ Tony K.

You could always buy the Japanese release, since the discs are identical, and I doubt it's going out of print over there anytime soon. I think they just recently released a priced-down re-issue of it.

Last edited by jmfsilenthill on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
supercreep

Tony K. wrote:
I really want to own Akira on BD, but the special features are lacking. I want a definitive edition of this outstanding piece of art. If it goes out of print, does that mean someone else could get the license some day? I'd love for Criterion Collection to give it a go...

Criterion getting its hands on this would be a dream come true.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

Damnit...

I hate paying so much for them but it really is a favorite show of mine- so this finally convinced me to order all of the Hayate collections, from Amazon, everything is listed at dwindling stock numbers (one said "2 left") but all three of them were around 50% off there. Still rich for my cheap blood, I've never spent $195 on 52 episodes before... That's my Tax refund splurging done.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
I'd just thought I'd mention that Wolf's Rain was de-listed about a month or so ago, but I haven't heard any official word on whether or not it's out of print.

There isn't likely be an official word on Wolf's Rain. I personally consider it OOP.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
ANN article wrote:
Releases in Bandai Entertainment's current catalog will still be available after February, and Bandai Entertainment plans to produce new stock on these existing releases, if needed, until their respective licenses expire.

Is it safe to assume that the titles listed here are close to having their licenses expire?

I did always want to own Akira on Blu-ray but the price was not right. It would be nice to see The Criterion Collection pick up this amazing title. They put a lot of work into their Blu-rays (packaging and tons of extras) and charge reasonable prices for them.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
Is it safe to assume that the titles listed here are close to having their licenses expire?

Yes and no. There are a number of discounted singles/parts that have complete collections (mostly under Anime Legends). These series will likely be a no. As for the others, they are for the very least heading OOP (and possibly having its license expire; there is just no way to know).

As to this: "plans to produce new stock on these existing releases, if needed, until their respective licenses expire." I would say it can be rather subjective. Before the announcement, there a number of newer (within months of the release date) that has limited quantity (with counters) at TRSI. While TRSI don't speak for everyone's inventory, it does say that the availability may be soon changing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I love Hayate, for sure, but after some thought, I realize I don't HAVE have HAVE to own it. And one never knows, I've been lucky with some stuff lately, so there's a chance that at some point in the future I may come across someone who has all 8 sets and is looking to sell them.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
For the most part it looks like they are just clearing out and not reprinting the singles for those titles. Most have anime legends set's so those should still be around for a wile.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I find it strange that Bandai is discontinuing the Akira Bluray. I thought they were keeping their catalog in print, and well, I figured the Akira BD would have been a good seller for them (even though it is overpriced). It seems all the more strange to get rid of the BD version now that they are releasing a new dvd version before they give up releasing titles altogether.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
I find it strange that Bandai is discontinuing the Akira Bluray. I thought they were keeping their catalog in print, and well, I figured the Akira BD would have been a good seller for them (even though it is overpriced). It seems all the more strange to get rid of the BD version now that they are releasing a new dvd version before they give up releasing titles altogether.

Akira BD was released by Bandai Visual USA though. Bandai Ent's involvement was more on the distribution side.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
You can still get Tokyo SOS Explorers on Amazon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 15