• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
***SPOILER*** Howl's Moving Castle Questions

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smutchi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I just saw Howl's Moving Castle and I didn't understand everything I think. Maybe I was too tired. Very Happy

It seems to me that, especially in the end, the story is very shortened...However, I didn't read the book so it's just an impression.

What I didn't get f.e. was why at one point Sophie and the others leave the castle together with Calcifer knowing that the castle will collapse. Then, after the collapse, they return to the leaking and broken castle...?
What's the matter with Sophie's curse? Why is she sometimes young and sometimes old, or a mix of both?
Does Howl know who she really is?
What exactly is the pact between Calcifer and Howl? Reasons, benefits, consequences, etc, etc

I don't know, I liked the graphics and everything, but the story didn't seem well explained to me...
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:10 pm Reply with quote
The movie didn't provide very clear explanations on some points, as in what exactly was the realtionship between Howl and Calcifer, or at what point Howl recognizes her. Although it's clear that he does know who she is eventually. As far as Sophie's curse, its manifestation is dependant on her state of mind. You'll notice at the start of the movie she has a pretty low view of herself, sort of a "no one cares about plain-jane me" attitude. The witch used her self-effacing attitude to make her appear on the outside how she felt inside. Whenever she adopts a defeatist mindset she looks old, but when she is confident and sure of herself she looks young again. Sophie had power over her own curse, if she is sure of herself she is able to overcome it, a classic Miyazaki theme.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps you were just too tired. Or, Howl's Moving Castle is worth watching twice, so you might understand it the second time around. Spoilers ahoy.

Quote:
was why at one point Sophie and the others leave the castle together with Calcifer knowing that the castle will collapse. Then, after the collapse, they return to the leaking and broken castle...?

They needed to disconnect the castle with the town that Howl was fighting in, so he wouldn't die in the act of defending them, and the only way to disconnect the portal without Howl's help was to take Calcifer out of the castle.

Quote:
What's the matter with Sophie's curse? Why is she sometimes young and sometimes old, or a mix of both?

ShellBullet put it well.

Quote:
What exactly is the pact between Calcifer and Howl? Reasons, benefits, consequences, etc, etc

A young and naiive Howl wanted more power for himself, so he let the demon Calcifer take his heart, literally speaking. Benefits - everything he and Calcifer can do, the whole Moving castle, etc., and they became friends, so thats' of course a benefit. Consequences - Howl is incomplete as a person because though his physical body continued to age, his heart stayed the heart of a child. That's why he was so arrogant in the begginning of the film, and also why he whined and overreacted when his hair color was changed. Another classic Miyazaki sub-plot is the child-like Howl becoming a man.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Hawking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to see the movie...T.T never got the chance. I read the book though. Has anyoneone else read it? if so is it anything alike?
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Hawking wrote:
I wanted to see the movie...T.T never got the chance. I read the book though. Has anyoneone else read it? if so is it anything alike?

Waiting for a friend to finish it so I can borrow it. All I know for sure is that they're incredibly different, but both the movie and the book are really good. :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Hawking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Now i gotta see the movie. heh. Well the books really quite good. And its a MIYAZKI film. so its sure to be good to. but since i read the book first im probobly gunna say the books better. lol. its how i work.
smutchi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Thanks ShellBullet and Haru to Ashura for answering my questions.

Haru to Ashura wrote:

They needed to disconnect the castle with the town that Howl was fighting in, so he wouldn't die in the act of defending them, and the only way to disconnect the portal without Howl's help was to take Calcifer out of the castle.

I thought it was something like that, but they really don't explain it. Sophie just comes to this conclusion somehow...

I think I should have read the book first...
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:11 pm Reply with quote
smutchi wrote:

Haru to Ashura wrote:

I thought it was something like that, but they really don't explain it. Sophie just comes to this conclusion somehow...

Well, I haven't read the book and I could figure it out... :?
smutchi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
smutchi wrote:

Haru to Ashura wrote:

Well, I haven't read the book and I could figure it out... Confused

Well, congratulations to your IQ being 30 points higher than mine!
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
smutchi wrote:
Haru to Ashura wrote:
smutchi wrote:

Haru to Ashura wrote:

Well, I haven't read the book and I could figure it out... :?

Well, congratulations to your IQ being 30 points higher than mine!

^_^; Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:41 am Reply with quote
smutchi wrote:

I think he suspects. When we see her travel back in time to witness Howl's pact being made with Calcifer, she yells out to them to wait for her return to save them. When she gets back, she apologises for taking so long.

Of course, when she enters the castle, she looks older than when Howl "first" sees her, so perhaps he was thrown off a little. But he accepts her very readily, possibly waiting for the time he fears must come, when he finally must be saved from the pact. Exactly what he must be saved from, and how Sophie can help, remain a mystery to him and so he waits and keeps her around until then.
smutchi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:

Anime smile; Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude.

No problem Smile

Do you guys think this movie is better, equal or less good than Miyasaki's other movies like Spirited Away and Mononoke Hime (I've only seen these two so far)? I mean I really loved the animation and all the details in Howl's Moving Castle, but maybe he'd be better off not to adapt books but to tell his own stories...?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1