• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Figma Guts (Black Swordsman version)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the review. It also looks like AmiAmi, Hobby Search and Big Bad Toy Store is sold out. I can see that Chucks Anime Shrine and Hobbyfan does still have it up for pre-order.
Mirri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:46 am Reply with quote
An informative review. I was quite curious after seeing the prototype shots how the production models would appear. It's definitely on the expensive side of figmas, but it looks like it's well warranted. If I were a fan I would have been on this, but I [blasphemy inc:] have never read or watched Berserk.

Another coming-this-year figma in a similar price range is The Princess of the Crystal from MAWARU-PENGUINDRUM. I'm very curious as to how it'll be. I'm probably going to end up ordering one. I'd love to see a review of her on Astro Toy, as well, but I don't know how much one itty bitty fan like me can have any pull no matter how hard I wish.

Keep up the good work, David. Astro Toy is one of my favorite ANN serials.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:07 am Reply with quote
I really, really don't like the sculpt of the face. I've never read the Manga but I have watched the Anime, and this figure's face just looks really weird compared to the Guts I know.

Yes, this is the Black Swordsman Guts, and maybe it is the Anime that was wrong and unfaithful to the Manga, but I just cringe when I look at this figure.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I really, really don't like the sculpt of the face. I've never read the Manga but I have watched the Anime, and this figure's face just looks really weird compared to the Guts I know.

Yes, this is the Black Swordsman Guts, and maybe it is the Anime that was wrong and unfaithful to the Manga, but I just cringe when I look at this figure.

To me it seems his head is way too small in proportion to the body. And like you, I don't know if that a result of the anime being off from the manga or the model having trouble fitting it in there with all the other stuff it added to the figure.

Personally, if I had to have a figurine sitting on my shelf to commemorate the movies, I'd want the Skull Knight.
giseki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
i can honestly say the face looks nothing like guts in either the manga or the anime(same face in both).

rubbish.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
I agree that the face seems a little off, but I pre-ordered this guy anyway and hope to receive him soon. I'm glad he is at least "okay".

I would LOVE to see a Griffin and Casca released too. Heck the rest of the gang would be fantastic. As always, thanks for the review.
gerbilx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
This is the first Figma that I have truly disliked. Even though you said it's a big figure, the height to width ratio is incredibly off. It is perhaps 1/7 of the way to chibi, and looks really awkward for it.

To see what I mean about the height thing, this figure (which was incidentally the first figure I ever bought,) is probably the best one I've ever seen of Guts. http://www.kidnemo.fm/product/en/48/Berserk+Guts+Limited+ver+Bloody+Color+PVC+Figure.html

It's also the only AoW figure to have a half decent face.

And as hard as it is to find in a google search, Guts does have a rather nice smile when he's happy, or at least amused at the antics of all the kids he ends up taking care of. http://aazealh.net/Divers/Face/Guts_smiles_06.jpg

Also, I have watched Giant Robo 3 times; it is /amazing./
sepherest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

The face shape isn't right. If you compare it to covers from the manga Gut's is supposed to have a very square face. The figma's face is kind of potato-y (I don't know how else to describe it and someone on an image board put it that way and it fits well Laughing )

There's also pictures of Griffith's figma prototype floating around online so I hope when his is released it looks a bit better than what they did with Guts.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Glad it wasn't just me who thought the face looked off. Whew.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
Even with the face looking off, I'd still like this...seems like the face looks better in the teeth clenched pose, but it's hard to tell in that pic. Really though, the outfit detail and all looks good. I will look forward to seeing Griffith!
I can't WAIT to be able to see more Berserk finally! Anime cry (tears of joy)
Mirri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
Even with the face looking off, I'd still like this...seems like the face looks better in the teeth clenched pose, but it's hard to tell in that pic. Really though, the outfit detail and all looks good. I will look forward to seeing Griffith!
I can't WAIT to be able to see more Berserk finally! Anime cry (tears of joy)

Here's Griffith, unpainted prototype:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/01/29/berserk-griffith-figma-revealed
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
If it weren't for the attire, and the fact that I've been made aware of who the character is because it's who the article is about, I wouldn't have recognized this was Guts or have even been able to distinguish between him and a figure of some cheesy 80s action cartoon superhero. His face looks deformed, like my golden Lab got a hold of it.

I haven't read the manga, yet, but the anime is one of the best works of fictional medium I've ever laid eyes on; dark, haunting, gory, action-packed with a marvelous fantasy element... nearly perfect! I'm excited to see the movies, even if they aren't continuations (hey, who knows what the future holds?).
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
My only real complaint is about the arms. They seriously need to start using larger figma joints in the larger figures. Straight the arm looks OK, but bent there's a very strange void where the elbow should be like he was attacked by a shark. A larger joint is needed to fill that gap, you don't see that on the smaller figma.

Oh well, never been a big fan of the series so I passed on this anyway.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mirri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:20 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
My only real complaint is about the arms. They seriously need to start using larger figma joints in the larger figures. Straight the arm looks OK, but bent there's a very strange void where the elbow should be like he was attacked by a shark. A larger joint is needed to fill that gap, you don't see that on the smaller figma.

Oh well, never been a big fan of the series so I passed on this anyway.

Emerje

I agree with this. Even on the Emiya Shirou casual-wear figure, when you switch on spoiler[Archer's arm] the joint is too small, and it's even a tiny bit off color. The arms on Guts look like they're much bigger than even that.

I think the biggest issue here re: the head is that it looks off with the cloak on. I don't think it looks that bad without the cloak on. It definitely looks a bit strange with the cloak on, though. I've looked at some artwork and screencaps since the whole head thing was brought up in the thread. But again, not a devoted follower so maybe I saw things that were not exactly standard. The Griffith figma does look better proportioned to me, though.

(I'm sure my Emiya's not bootleg, it has a TYPE MOON holographic sticker on it)
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Are you sure someone wasn't just making a Dolph Ludgren as He-Man Figure and was told to paint the bleach blonde hair black and add some armor?

... Although his rage face seems to resemble Bruce Cambell/Ash more... which might fit with his boom-stick hand
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2