• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puppegesicht

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:57 pm Reply with quote
TonytheMan wrote:

7.) Fruit Basket
This anime must be on alot of the female list. But hey this is a funny and heart-warming anime. It is so good that I bought every manga for this series. (keep them coming)

Yes, I very much agree. It's going to be on MY list. Cool Just to keep things short...

Top Four Anime-

Fruits Basket - What can I say, I'm a girl, right? Acutally, there's more to than just that which draws me into the series. ( At first I hated the series, because I found the idea something to ridicule about ) However...

Almost all of them has a story to tell, with enigmatic personalities. The story is put straight into action right in the beginning, which also leaves no room for boredom. Very well done, really, for a series that I believe focuses on character development, with some typical issues. Plus, I believe the whole 'idea' ties in very nicely.

Gundam Seed - Ah, Gundam Seed. It's just the appropriate mix of action, and drama for my taste. Once again the plot takes off right from the beginning, and there is enough conflict to keep me interested. Pretty much a good idea on whether you are fighting for what you think is right. Very much a true, but futuristic view on war.

Inuyasha - Don't know where to begin. I really like the fact that every character seems to be very unique, and has their own hidden sides to their personality. It's okay for some younger audiences because the violence isn't over the top for me, and you tend to keep on wondering what's going to happen next from all the twists and turns. What engages me the most is when you know that all of the characters play a part, but just don't know when they'll show.

Inuyasha's still not finished, but the outlook in my opinion is looking pretty good.

Hellsing - Sure, not for everyone's taste. ( I felt compelled to just review this when I read some threads ) Looking through the manga may help too.

I mean I liked it, and I don't usually like something with blood and blood thirsty vampires. But yes, Hellsing has quite a depth to it if you look beyond the surface. Characters fighing inner turmoils, unspoken emotions, and a strong sense of self and lots of determination. As for the amount of action, and the slight effect of disbelief on Alucard's powers, well, the anime will explain itself as to why so.

There is possibly no certain correct interpretation of a true vampires' actions, but Hellsing gives me a bit of an idea. It's got no unnecessary fillers, ( Probably because it's only got 13 episodes ) leaving not much room for boredom.

Bottom Two

Yu-Gi-Oh - The first first season was okay, really, I thought it was. Then I just gave up on it, because of the whole repetition thing. It's always fighting for their friends lives ( Not really such a bad thing, but too much can ), or, "The Heart of the Cards", and the usual mysterious bad guys that always seem to get in the way. The characters are fairly amusing, but to make the whole thing work, one must bring on the plot. Thus, I have the strong belief that the whole Yu-Gi-Oh thing could all just be for marketing purposes.

Perhaps the manga could be better?

.hack//SIGN - I'm still trying to watch this and see if I can actually comprehend how the whole thing would come together. Still very much confused, and the characters are shrouded in so much mystery that it's hard to keep track of anything at all. All these weird happenings probably should be more drawn out. The dramatization may be all necessary, but it can be too much, I think. Some of the characters lack first impressions, I think. Then again, perhaps the manga would fare better?

I would be very glad if someone could very kindly try to enlighten me.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:09 am Reply with quote
Well, it's about time I give this a shot, though this list is always subject to change at any given time.

Favorites
All in my humble opinion of course

1. Last Exile
The style, the technology and the artwork just really draw me into this anime. Only detractor I found was the needless attempts at tossing meaningless romances and crushes throughout the series, primarily in the middle episodes. The show has a great story and plenty of action, but not ridiculous action and completely one sided battles consisting of "mysterious man X with sword kills everyone and saves the day". The characters also aren't over-sexed for the most part and are somewhat more realistic in their proportions.

2. Gunslinger Girl
The story and depth of this show and the amount of detail they put into it is what I like so much about this anime. The only real downside is that it's so short. I just thought it was so well written and animated quite well and it does a great job of making you look at morality and the concept that sometimes evil things must be done to preserve the good and just when such a compromise can be justified.

3. Escaflowne
Although I watched anime long before Escaflowne was released this was the show that really got me into anime to the extent I am today. It is corny at times, yes, and sometimes you just want to strangle some of the characters but all in all it's a great show with lots of variety and action and drama with a still unique storyline.

4. Chrono Crusade
I loved this show, the comedy and the action and dark plot just combined so well and made a show that was just fun at parts and at other times dwelled into the darkest places of the mind. Not to mention I think Aion is one of the greatest villians I've seen as of yet and I think the english VA does a terrific job of conveying just how evil he is without the typical sinister voice of evil that is so overused in all genre's these days.

5. Steamboy
I know so many will disagree with me here as the movie just wasn't much of a hit but I actually thoroughly enjoyed the show. It had great action, a truly impressive soundtrack, characters that I personally found likeable with a good deal of variety and despite being fictional it did a great job of portraying society as it was in that time period rather than over modernizing it as far as speech and character perception goes.

6. Wolf's Rain
When it comes to unique atmosphere, story, characters and more this one really takes the cake. The message behind this story can be so varied from person to person but the general idea behind it is always the same and it can be quite the powerful message. Aside from just the message is a very in-depth story with a good deal of character development and twists. (as a side note, I include the TV series and the OAV as one as essentially the OAV was just the finale to the series)

7. Twelve Kingdoms
This is truly an epic storyline, and although it ended up being somewhat incomplete it was still a good 40ish episodes of well laid out story and advancing plot with alot of depth, so much depth in fact that it turns many people off about this show. The one incredible factor about 12 Kingdoms that I found was the evolution of the characters, especially Yoko, who changed so much from beginning to end and did so in a fashion that made it very believable rather than the "sudden revelation" character evolution methods that so many other shows tend to use.

8. Cowboy Bebop
What can I say? What list is complete without Cowboy Bebop on it? This really was a defining series in many ways, incorporating so many unique styles and doing so seamlessly. From truckers to drug runners to cowboys to corrupt officials and syndicates with comic relief and a space background and a some what 70's/80's feel it just throws so much in the mix and pulls it off flawlessly. Add in to that likeable characters and very well done finale and you have a series that will live on for quite some time.

9. Fullmetal Alchemist
Great show that is still in the works. I love the dark tone of the show and the science behind it all. The backdrop is quite impressive and immersive and the episode variety helps ensure there's something everyone will find interesting about the show but it still manages to stay consistent with its theme.

10. Elfen Lied
I admit to being a convert. Despite the blood and graphic content I ended up giving it a chance and I'm glad I did. I guess sometimes shows really do live up to their hype. It's just so much more than the gore that you tend to notice off the bat. I admit I almost didn't give it a chance after seeing all the talk about the violence and blood and excess nudity.

Least Favorites
Don't usually like to give lists of what I dislike as it's not so much because they're bad but simply a matter of taste.

1. Megaman
This show just tends to annoy me and of the episodes I've watched it just seemed to be a bit more of the same 'ol thing. I don't expect much from the shows the kids networks pick up anyways so I go into them expecting something mediocre but this one just seemed so much lower than mediocre to me.

2. Final Fantasy: Unlimited
I wanted to like this one, I really did, but I just couldn't. I prefer english dubs, but I'm plenty content with the native japanese as well. The english dub of this show was just god awful though, the main male lead was one of the worst english VA's I've ever heard. The japanese I didn't find to be much better either, but I could have lived with it. However, there was just so much laughable about the series that I couldn't take it seriously, from the supposedly evil looking creatures to the atmosphere and art style it was just hard for me to even consider getting into this show.

3. One Piece (yes, the sub, not 4kids version)
I add this partially because I went in expecting so much and ended up being disappointed, it is way overhyped. While some of it is interesting I just find the fights drag on for way too long, some episodes will be in the middle of a fight and all they do is cry and flashback and banter back and forth and it just takes way too long to actually get down to the point. After awhile it just gets old being strung along forever.

4. Dragonball Z
I really can't stand this show. Episodes of constant grunting and heavy breathing stay interesting for only so long, like 5 seconds maybe. This show is just so ludicrous and lacks any real cohesive story or sense.

5. Vampire Hunter D
One of the most over-rated anime of all time. This anime is so cliche it's not even funny, from the spooky tough guy lead to the vampires and so on and so on there's very little about this anime that is actually slightly interesting or unique. Back when I first saw it I was impressed with the animation but overall I didn't enjoy anything else about it at all and still fail to see how it could possibly still be so popular. But, Dragonball Z often makes me wonder the same thing. Either way, as I listed above alot of it is taste and this one just doesn't interest me in the least.

Last edited by Keonyn on Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GloriousPikachu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Favorites

1. Escaflowne: I never got bored while watching this anime, and i loved the character developement as the story progresses; the action is also quite superb. Overall this anime has lots of variety and a story that'll get you hooked.

2. Ninja Scroll (the movie)- Although extremely, if not comedically, gory, this movie got me hooked within the first ten minutes. It has great animation, as well as great characters.

3. Neon Genesis Evangelion- A great anime with superb mecca action, character developement, and storyline (although sometimes boring, and unexplained.) The one downside to this great anime is the endings (both), are a bit unfinished.

4. Cowboy Bebop- A great mix of action, comedy, and everything else. I loved this show by the 1st episode just because i felt a connection with the characters (umm a bit corny but people who have seen it know what i mean). This anime only gets better and better as you watch it.

5. .Hack//Sign- Although some moments in this series seem unexplained or not explained enough, overall it is great in all aspects. What i really liked about this anime is that you can't really guess whats gonna happen next, it keeps you wondering.

Least Favorites (only 1)

1. One Piece- What is the deal? Everything about it is dissapointing to me, the Opening and closing, the characters, the storyline. It's just not a very good anime overall (please, no offense to the people who like one piece Very Happy .)
Saiyo_Chan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Oh, wow. This is hard...It's almost impossible for me to say a definite favorite, but I'll certainly try,

Favorites:

1. Paranoia Agent. A mind-blowing psychotic anime about the human mind. I love an anime that can really make me think. The only complaint would be a few episodes that seem a bit filler-ish, but the last 2 episodes make up for any small faults.

2. Super Gals. A unique anime with many interesting and fun characters. Worth checking out, if only for a look into the life of Japanese teens, and you gotta love the unique style and the always-entertaining lead, Ran.

3. FLCL. Simply put, Haruko is one of the most unique characters in all of anime. I hardly ever buy anime soundtracks, but the music is one of the best I've heard in anime, and there's not a single character that I don't absolutely love.

4. PetShop of Horrors. I haven't seen this show in a while, but from what I can remember, it was a short but rare series. I loved the exotic creatures and fateful stories, and I plan on picking up the DVD soon.

5. Inuyasha. I must admit that the series has gotten really old and repetitive, but I'll list it because I still love the characters. Kagura, Kikyo and Sesshoumaru are still some of my all-time favorites.

Also, I must give mention to Cowboy Bebop, Angelic Layer, Twelve Kingdoms, and most Miyazaki movies.

Now for the not-so-wonderful...

1. Soul Hunter. I can't remember too much of this, but I found it to be cheesy with annoying voices and unlikeable characters. Luckily, I got the DVD free from a friend...

2. Spirited Away - I know that it's a wonderful fantasy world, with amazing art and amazing characters. Yeah. But Chihiro is just *so* utterly annoying that I couldn't get through half the movie!

There's probably a few more that I can't place a finger on right now...
Geosis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:26 am Reply with quote
My 10 Favorite Anime's are:

1: GunGrave - Action/Drama - Wonderful story. It starts in the middle of the story, and then it begins and works up till the first episode and continues. Very nice drawings, story and voice acting.

2: Full Metal Panic! - Action/Comedy/Mecha - Sagara Sousuke is my favorite! Good storyline. Characters are very nice as well, it kind of gave me a Metal gear Solid feeling. Recommendable to everyone.

3: Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu? - Action/Comedy - This is just hilarious at times. Amazing humor, almost no story. Just episodes of humor with the FMP characters. Recommend to first what FMP to get to know the characters and even have a better laugh.

4: Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid - Action/Comedy/Mecha -
The sequal of FMP. The graphics are just amazing. Very nice voice acting and the story is good as well. More bloody then FMP. Recommend to watch FMP before this one.

5: Love Hina - Love-Romance/School-Life/Comedy - This is also an hilarious anime. It's a harem anime. Fun characters and reasonable storyline. This one is also very good for a laugh.

6: LOVELESS - Action/Magic/Fantasy/Shounen Ai - Very nice story. Good characters and theres a little bit of Shounen Ai. But if you don't like that (like me) just bite through because it will all be explained later on. Nevertheless, worth the watch!

7: Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien - Drama/Romance - This is an excellent drama anime. A very original story with a good character progress. This one made me emotional at times. Recommendable if you're looking for a good drama anime.

8: Midori No Hibi - Comedy/Action - This story involves a guy named Sawamura Seiji with an ''unbeatable right hand''. That is... until he wakes up with a girl as a right hand. This one is good for a laugh.

9: Onegai Teacher - Drama/Romance - Ah fine, thou unoriginal story. About a guy falling in love with his alien teacher. Good love story.

10: Elfen Lied - Drama/Action/Romance - Good story, good character inprovements. Lot's of gore.

My 5 worse Anime's:

1: Ichigo 100% - Drama/Comedy/Romance/School-Life - This one irritated me completely. The story was just boring, and there was NO PROGRESS at ALL with the characters. Pretty much began and ended the same way.

2: Green Green - Romance/Comedy/School-Life - Omfg, what is this? Some oversexed School-Life anime with a bunch of losers. The comedy didn't quite make me laugh. This was a complete waste of time.

3: Naruto - Action/Drama - I dont mean this anime is bad. It is quite good.. But most of the time it didn't impress me because of the large amount of episodes and the few things happening every episode. Battles which last 4 - 5 eps with a quite annoying main character doesn't seem right to me.

4: Saikano - Drama/Action/ School-Life - Weird story. The main char looks like a 35-year old and his girlfriend looks like a 12-year old. This alone made me think negative of the anime. The whole drawing suck btw.

5: DearS - Comedy/Drama/Romance/Science-Fiction - Fine story. Main character is an ass. comedy wasnt really impressive either.
heckal2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:12 am Reply with quote
im like u i dont know very many anime. I only know2 anime.

1]ARMITAGE-i like this animefor 3 reasons. 1 im a robot freak. anythig with fight,blood,or guns i like it.last but not least it tot me what anime was.then i started looking for other anime.

2]INUYASHA-its prety funny.has a lot offighting including inuyasha and his girlfriend kigome. but its still good.
Hawking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Ok im just gunna list anime off the top of my head.

#1 of all time is Chrono Crusade- It has an amazing storyline about a devil and a gunslinging excorsist nun whoi is overly hyper active, It leaves you loving the characters and rooting for them all the way through. Its dark in some cases but it tends to be on the lighter side in the beggining of the series.

2-FLCL- Insanity...what else do you want to know?

3: Cowboy Bebop- It mixes so many things together and flows so well. The characters have layers in thier personality that some other animes just dont have. Alltogether it is a Must see anime.

4 Elfen Lied- At first i thought it was just way to gory, and to be honest it creeped me out a little. But i gave it a chance it it pulled through.

5.Samurai Champloo- I dun know why..i just like it.

6.Read or die- It is an entertaining series that i still haven't seen all the way through. Id definatly recommend it.

Hated/or just disliked Anime

1....One Piece. Drags on and on and on and on.....
2.Ranma- Im not saying you shouldent watch it. its a good anime and Manga buuut...id only suggest seeing the fist 50 or so eps...after that they repeat...over and over...
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Hawking wrote:
2-FLCL- Insanity...what else do you want to know?

Why you like it, for starters.

Hawking wrote:
4 Elfen Lied- At first i thought it was just way to gory, and to be honest it creeped me out a little. But i gave it a chance it it pulled through.

So what made it pull through for you?

Hawking wrote:
5.Samurai Champloo- I dun know why..i just like it.

I'm sure if you actually put some thought into it, you could certainly tell us.

Hawking wrote:
6.Read or die- It is an entertaining series that i still haven't seen all the way through. Id definatly recommend it.

So what made you list it here?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TheDarkMauler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:43 am Reply with quote
well like my sig says starting to get into anime...

atm haven't seen much but

Ninja Scroll - Very Awesome movie,Graphic which is a plus and the story,charaters, and action are very well written.

Naruto - umm alot of people told me about it, watched a few episodes on CN and i must say that im def gonna watch some more episodes.

Full Metal Alchemist - again saw on CN, i really enjoyed the story behind it but just wish i could see it from episode 1-xx since i have no clue what episode i watched.

Samurai Champloo - saw at a friends house and was blown away by the hip-hop backround. but more importantly is most Samurai warrior driven which is a plus. action is very clean.

trying to see an episode of Berserk since I've heard many good things about it.

umm thats it for now and hopefully ill do alot more posting
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:03 am Reply with quote
TheDarkMauler wrote:
well like my sig says starting to get into anime...

Signatures are disabled on ANN, by the way.

TheDarkMauler wrote:
Naruto - umm alot of people told me about it, watched a few episodes on CN and i must say that im def gonna watch some more episodes.

Okay, so what makes you like it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TheDarkMauler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:11 am Reply with quote
Okay, so what makes you like it?[/quote]

well the whole storyline with ninjas, and the diffrent spells. what i did notice tho maybe this is because its the first few episodes it seems there alot of character interaction that didn't really need to be there. filler basically but who knows what its gonna be like 20 eps. into it
stealth_penguin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:10 pm Reply with quote
hmmm....the top 2 anime in my book right now are Naruto(not the crappy butchered version on cartoon network) and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Also, I must ask, what is so good about Kino's Journey to earn it so many masterpiece ratings? I've seen vol.2 and vol 3. on dvd and it was pretty good but not masterpiece material. But that's just my opinion.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:20 pm Reply with quote
stealth_penguin wrote:
(not the crappy butchered version on cartoon network)

You could call the Toonami version of Naruto many things, but "butchered" is certainly not one of them. Rolling Eyes

stealth_penguin wrote:
Also, I must ask, what is so good about Kino's Journey to earn it so many masterpiece ratings?

Before asking other people why they thought something was so good, why not tell us about your own picks first? The point of this thread is to tell us what your favourite anime are and why you like them. You haven't given us that all-important second step yet.
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
stealth_penguin wrote:
(not the crappy butchered version on cartoon network)

You could call the Toonami version of Naruto many things, but "butchered" is certainly not one of them. Rolling Eyes

I agree. Honestly, if Naruto on Toonami is butchered, then Cowboy Bebop on Adult Swim is a massacre.

Stealth Penguin, as someone who loved Kino's Journey I can say that the show is great for a variety of reasons: the philosphical food for thought, the moody artwork, the subtle creepiness. If you prefer things with more consistancy of plot then I understand why you wouldn't enjoy Kino but most of the stand-alone stories are so interesting that people who don't mind that kind of storytelling are likely to put it on their list.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:27 am Reply with quote
Ez Barzam wrote:
Note: I’m lazy and stuff, so after my top three, no descriptions for you!

Uh-oh, looks like your post mysteriously vanished. >.>
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 122