• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Planzet Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Another License Sentai? My you spoil us Ambassador.

I loved how this Film looked but sadly the story was lacking abit. I might get it tho cause it would look kickass on Blu Ray!
Jamesleedx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I agree, the film looked great but it was a bit short. Things that I also noted about the film: not nearly enough lasers and also an almost comical amount of domestic violence (Amuro Ray never had it this bad).
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm really starting to wonder just where Section 23 is getting the capital to afford all these licenses.

I certainly hope they're not getting their hands into anything shady.... again. Confused
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
I'm really starting to wonder just where Section 23 is getting the capital to afford all these licenses.

I certainly hope they're not getting their hands into anything shady.... again. Confused

My thoughts exactly.

I was very happy when Armed Librarians: The Book of Bantorra was licensed, however even then I wondered to myself how profitable it would be. Not a show that got a lot of buzz.

Planzet on the other hand has had even less buzz and is actually pretty weak. Nice visuals but horrible writing and boring to boot. It's also really short too, only a 50m OVA.

Yes, that knot in my stomach is trepidation. By all accounts this is not a wise license.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I have never heard of this film before. I like that image though. I have a pretty high tolerance for bad stories if the visuals are mouth-watering enough. Might pick this up many, many miles down the road if I see a cheap version floating around somewhere.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Might pick this up many, many miles down the road if I see a cheap version floating around somewhere.

Well don't wait too long lol, once Sentai goes bankrupt and it goes OOP the price will go way up.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Okay, Sentai. We get it. You have a deal with Comix Wave. So please just announce the release of Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I really don't know what's going on with Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo (or as some posters may know it better as, Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below). We know there is an R1 distrib, because that distrib forced an Ontario film festival to cancel its screening of the movie back in the fall. Yet an official announcement has never been made. Sentai doesn't strike me as the sort of company to sit on a license acquisition for an extended period, but I suppose there might be some behind-the-scenes reason for the silence.
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Might pick this up many, many miles down the road if I see a cheap version floating around somewhere.

Well don't wait too long lol, once Sentai goes bankrupt and it goes OOP the price will go way up.

Speculation ho!

There's no signs they're even doing badly, never mind having bankruptcy on the horizons. Anyway this is the type of film, if marketed right, could do well with non-anime fans. Sort of like the CGI Appleseed movie or Vexille. Not a bad pick, per say. But they might need to get the word out on this one.
skyreno4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Wait until tomorrow another license from sentai....i want to know where the **** are they getting the money, i saw Trailer of movie looks Epic i can't wait, im hoping they could licensed "Ano Hana"
GinkoArt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
D: My eyes deceived me for a second there, I thought they rescued Planetes from Bandai, ah well hopefully sometime later down the road...
GhostShell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I haven't heard of this title before, either. The story sounds interesting and the picture included with the article looks impressive. Even though it is only fifty minutes long, I'm still intrigued. I can be pretty forgiving if a movie is a little week plot-wise, if it makes up for it in the visuals. As Sentai is releasing it on Blu-ray, I'll be adding it to my "purchase" list.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
No. No no no. There are better things to spend your money on than this. Like rice crackers for example. Everyone likes rice crackers, yes? Watching a rice cracker for fifty minutes would be a better use of time and money than watching Planzet. Remember, vote rice crackers for President.

(But seriously, it is a pretty mediocre film and I do recommend you avoid buying it. There's lots of Anime that better deserve your hard-earned money than this one, whose main claims to fame are making Mecha battles boring and having Mamoru Miyano in a lead role.)

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I really don't know what's going on with Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo (or as some posters may know it better as, Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below). We know there is an R1 distrib, because that distrib forced an Ontario film festival to cancel its screening of the movie back in the fall. Yet an official announcement has never been made. Sentai doesn't strike me as the sort of company
to sit on a license acquisition for an extended period, but I suppose there might be some behind-the-scenes reason for the silence.

Well Sentai generally announces licenses closer to their release date, with the obvious exception of simulcasts. So I wouldn't be surprised to know they have it but are waiting until localization is done to announce it. They have picked up a hell of a lot of ComixWave properties lately.

As to why they bought this; it was likely cheap. 50 minute OVAs/films tend to be fairly cheap. They are also cheaper to localize and produce. Plus, it could have been part of a bundle with the Shinkai film. Sentai still does a lot of bundle deals these days.

As for the movie itself, I've never watched it but I will give it a try at some point. I probably won't blind buy unless it is exceptionally cheap. I do have a history of liking things many others hate and really disliking series that the majority seem to.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I did not like this much so I won't be going for it, as mentioned upthread it's because of the poor story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2