• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Have you ever read a Visual Novel? Why not?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone checked out Katawa Shoujo?
Alunimus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:33 am Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
It's really nice. Idea itself is intersting but the main thing is that developers have managed to make a really good novel based on it. Art, characters and story - I just love it!
Freeza77

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
The only reason I haven't read any is because they are so hard to find.
Where is there a good place to buy visual novels?

I'd rather them to be on the PC if that can be helped.
Thanks.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote
Alunimus wrote:
population_tire wrote:
It's really nice. Idea itself is intersting but the main thing is that developers have managed to make a really good novel based on it. Art, characters and story - I just love it!

Agreed! And the whole disabled idea is treated with fair delicacy. What's cool is the personalities of each girl, and the fact that the male lead actually has a personality of his own at times. I personally enjoyed the Rin and Mei arcs the most, with the other three being fairly passable.

Freeza77 go to katawa-shoujo.com to download it for free, they have Win, linux and mac versions.

I hope some of the team move on to make another project of some sort, they are certainly talented.
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Hey, do people know that Forest has just been translated?

Because it's a masterpiece. People should play it. You can even buy a copy off of Liarsoft's digital store--it costs about thirty dollars, but I assure you that it's totally worth it. Amaterasu Translations hosts the translation.

It's convoluted, a little disturbing and absolutely by no means for kids. But for people who like fairy tales, dueling narrators, metafiction and images knitted in words that will sear themselves into your skull, it's pretty much a must-play.

Trivia: The writer of Forest's previous work, Kusarihime Euthanasia, was a major inspiration for the Heaven's Feel route in Fate/Stay Night, Cross Channel, Saya no Uta and possibly Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (the last is only an educated guess, but the two share key similarities so...) The same writer is also working on Girls' Work, an anime being produced by ufotable and Type-Moon, that pretty much looks to be Forest's spiritual sequel. Sold yet?
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Freeza77 wrote:
The only reason I haven't read any is because they are so hard to find.
Where is there a good place to buy visual novels?

I'd rather them to be on the PC if that can be helped.
Thanks.

jlist has some but most of the ones I've found are eroge VNs. They do have the first 2 Higurashi games though.
Freeza77

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I gave Katawa Shoujo a try and it was pretty fun. Definitely a lot different to anime and manga. It sort of reminds me of how Phoenix Wright is set up. Though the eroge wasn't to my liking but I can put up with that.

I did take a look a J-List and it seem they have quite a number of VNs but as you said most of them are eroge.

I may have to try some more but being short on cash and with other anime and manga I want to get. VNs are unfortunately going to have to wait.

VNs get a thumbs up from me though. :D
somestupidloser

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
The only visual novels that I have read/played is the Katawa Shoujo game and bits of Utawarerumono. The more I learned of the main character the more I enjoyed the story as a whole. I didn't want to walk into this game looking for someone to project myself onto, I wanted a main character to stand out for himself. That being said, the game delivered amiably and I'm quite satisfied with everything about it. Hisao is at his best in the Lily route, but Rin's route is a close second. I only wished that either Kenji was more normal, or that there was another male peer for Hisao to converse with.

As far as why I don't really read visual novels? I'm not interested in the more carnal aspects of them and I usually have watched the anime before I read the VS so I don't really feel the point of it.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote
The most recent X button column has opened up a whole can of worms on KS. 8 pages so far of reply in forum and KS is the top mention.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
somestupidloser wrote:
As far as why I don't really read visual novels? I'm not interested in the more carnal aspects of them and I usually have watched the anime before I read the VS so I don't really feel the point of it.

The anime adapted from visual novels often cut out a lot of content. For example, the Fate Stay Night and Tsukihime visual novels are much, much better than their anime and have much more content. Even linear visual novels like Umineko no Naku Koro ni have important aspects cut out when adapted to anime form.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote
Well, I just finished Chaos;Head. I personally loved the sweet heck out of it.

I'm about to start Fate/Stay Night.
NeumanProductions

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
Well, would you look at the discussion coming around KS (Katawa Shoujo) here. Mighty nice to see that in a place like this.

For those who want easy access to non-eroge titles an easy choice is Clannad which can be purchased through mangagamer.com on the under 18 page.
Then again, it ain't like I can avoid there adult VNs considering I don't mind eroge at all, especially how it was portrayed in KS gives the natrualistic feel...so a couple of mangagamer's releases you wouldn't get even close to that level of natural feeling...just trust me on this, some of them you don't want to know.
Beaux10

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite interested in the idea of visuals novels, but I'm not interested in any dating sims and most titles are 18+ which means that I couldn't play them, being 16, even with the option to skip erotic scenes.

I'm playing Phoenix Wright and Persona 3: Portable (if that counts) and 999 is towards the top of my wishlist. I'm also planning on getting Disgaea Infinite from my local Gamestop as it's too expensive online for its short length. If anyone knows of any games like these that are all-ages titles with less of a focus on romance (romance is okay, but only if it's not the primary focus, such as Persona 3) and can be obtained legally in English, I'd love to hear about them.

Looking at my last sentence, it's no wonder I can't find any visual novels... Razz
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:12 am Reply with quote
A lot of VNs have fan translation patches available, so you can just buy and download the Japanese versions and install the patches(be prepared for the foreign transaction fee, though). The main problem here is the number of titles that use SJIS instead of Unicode, which in my case requires running a copy of Windows in a VM.

Back to the topic, I've only really played Katawa Shoujo(I went through Emi's, Shizune's and Hanako's routes within a few days of release and got burnt out; still haven't touched Lily's or Rin's) and SonoHana(which I got for the spoiler[wonderfully smutty] story, I swear!). I tried out one of RenPy's demo VNs(The Question) and that thing the KS devs came up with to avoid any new content, but gave up on both within a minute or two(if those are representative of OELVN quality, it's even more amazing how good KS managed to be).
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I love visual novels, and have played a lot of them in English and Japanese. Naki-ge and chara-ge are my favorite genres.

I'm moving right now and I had to pack up my VN. They filled 3 cardboard boxes! I didn't realize I had so many. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4