• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Animation Sues 869 BitTorrent Users Over One Piece

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Freakin' pathetic...I hate Toei Animation and One Piece -_-.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
What an oddly specific number
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
should be 666 users. I don't know why people still download OP illegally when you can watch it for free. Also, I don't know why people are mad, when they know it's illegal.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
should be 666 users. I don't know why people still download OP illegally when you can watch it for free.

They live outside of America or don't want to deal with ads (though adblocker fixes that for me).
Shenl742

Insert pun involving pirates and CSI:Miami style "YEAAAAAH"
relentlessflame

What I am wondering is, other than going through the discovery process and then using the contact information to request/demand settlements of the implicated parties, have any of these styles of anonymous John Doe lawsuits actually made it through to trial with the John Does given names? I've heard of many cases, like the Funimation one, where they end up getting dismissed before trial due to jurisdiction-related issues, but I can't say I've heard any get further than that. I assume the point is not to go through discovery and then launch a whole bunch of individual lawsuits in jurisdictions all over the place, because that would be too costly (though it may be what the judges demand).

As you can clearly see, I am not a lawyer, but I'm confused why companies keep trying this if it doesn't seem to work (unless, again, the settlements are the point). Then again, this was filed back in late-September so who knows.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Japanese businessmen are control freaks that would no doubt feel they have the right to evasdrop on their consumers. Sad thing is they do because they think One Piece is the hottest thing on earth when the truth is it is barely known outside japan.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
should be 666 users. I don't know why people still download OP illegally when you can watch it for free.

They live outside of America or don't want to deal with ads (though adblocker fixes that for me).

I think they are only going after people who are in US.
Tsukento

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah! How dare the animation company sue people for illegally downloading episodes of their series! I mean, it's not like Americans have any way of obtaining these episodes legally via DVD or streaming!

Wait, what?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
Yeah! How dare the animation company sue people for illegally downloading episodes of their series!

Wait, what?

Suing individual people never works, though. Its just a waste of time... you need to go after the people distributing the rips (like HS).
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Funimation try the same thing before and fail?
bradc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Here we go again. What year is it?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
relentlessflame wrote:
What I am wondering is, other than going through the discovery process and then using the contact information to request/demand settlements of the implicated parties, have any of these styles of anonymous John Doe lawsuits actually made it through to trial with the John Does given names? I've heard of many cases, like the Funimation one, where they end up getting dismissed before trial due to jurisdiction-related issues, but I can't say I've heard any get further than that. I assume the point is not to go through discovery and then launch a whole bunch of individual lawsuits in jurisdictions all over the place, because that would be too costly (though it may be what the judges demand).

As you can clearly see, I am not a lawyer, but I'm confused why companies keep trying this if it doesn't seem to work (unless, again, the settlements are the point). Then again, this was filed back in late-September so who knows.

My friend got sued by music companies for downloading mp3 music few years back. He just paid $3000+ for all the songs that he downloaded. I'm not sure what will happen if he goes to court.

I heard some people went to court and ended up paying 10 times the amount.
Tsukento

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
you need to go after the people distributing the rips (like HS).

Unfortunately, the problem with this sort of situation with any kind of piracy is that if you take one or two groups of people down, more will come. Can't really get rid of piracy.

But on the same token, it's easy to see why they would also target people who take part in downloading them via Bittorrent clients, since they keep the downloads alive by seeding them for other users to download..
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
you need to go after the people distributing the rips (like HS).

Unfortunately, the problem with this sort of situation with any kind of piracy is that if you take one or two groups of people down, more will come. Can't really get rid of piracy.

While that true, if you get the people paying huge fines that distribute the rips, it may scare off others from taking over. Obviously it won't scare everyone right away, but if you keep on doing it people will eventually stop bothering to rip stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 16