• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Gintama the Movie

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Nice! This movie retells my favorite arc in the show so far!

I'm guessing Sentai won't dub it but I'll still buy it!!! Very Happy
opn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked *shats pants grabs a new pair* so wait...the movie is getting a blu ray...does that mean a dub...mind = blown endlessly
bored-otaku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked *shats pants grabs a new pair* so wait...the movie is getting a blu ray...does that mean a dub...mind = blown endlessly

Yes. Remember, when it comes to Sentai, a blu ray release means it's getting an english dub (always).
opn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
bored-otaku wrote:
opn wrote:

Yes. Remember, when it comes to Sentai, a blu ray release means it's getting an english dub (always).

yep which surprises me since they dropped gintama...so did it sell well afterall and their might of been issues or have they just been trying to get the movie since it sure as hell must of been expensive.
edit:...hmmm since their giving it a blu ray i wonder who will be in the cast hopfully greg ayres voices shinpachi and luci cristan voices kagura...though who the hell could capture gintokis epicness?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Well a dub seems likely, but I wouldn't count on it yet. People have been pushing them for sub-only blurays after all. This could be the perfect title to try it with.

Perhaps GinTama didn't do badly after all, or Sentai thinks the movies may do better than the series, like Cased Closed. Maybe we will see more to come.
bored-otaku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Well a dub seems likely, but I wouldn't count on it yet. People have been pushing them for sub-only blurays after all. This could be the perfect title to try it with.

Perhaps GinTama didn't do badly after all, or Sentai thinks the movies may do better than the series, like Cased Closed. Maybe we will see more to come.

But Sentai doesn't do sub-only blu ray releases.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I will buy this whether it gets a dub or not. Any Gintama physical release will have my support.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved this movie. Easily one of my favorite movies from a shounen franchise. Will be getting this for sure.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
bored-otaku wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

But Sentai doesn't do sub-only blu ray releases.

They haven't so far. It doesn't mean they never will. Two years ago you could hav said the same thing about dubs and blurays. The market changes and so do business plans.

It's likely it will be dubbed, but until Sentai confirms it I wouldnt jump to conclusions. This case is a little different as Sentai has already released part of the series subonly and hasn't licensed more or dubbed any yet, at least that we know of.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
100% chance its dubbed. Blu Ray Dubs is company policy.
kaito969

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
will this be coming out in the UK too???
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
kaito969 wrote:
will this be coming out in the UK too???

Probably depends on whether a distributor there picks it up.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
opn: My guess is the show's a crappy seller, but they decided to at least let fans see the new stuff without importing. Wish FUNi did the same for Kodocha via streaming.
bored-otaku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They haven't so far. It doesn't mean they never will. Two years ago you could have said the same thing about dubs and blu rays. The market changes and so do business plans.

It's likely it will be dubbed, but until Sentai confirms it I wouldn't jump to conclusions. This case is a little different as Sentai has already released part of the series sub-only and hasn't licensed more or dubbed any yet, at least that we know of.

You're right and they did change their business plans from the old ones they used when they were still ADV. Instead of dubbing everything they license, they release some of them sub-only and wait to see what happens. It's their policy to give a blu ray release an english dub because they feel it will sell well. I can conclude that based on their track record alone. That's just how they operate.

As far as Gintama goes, they released the sub-only parts on DVD, not on blu ray. If there's no english dub, blu ray, or any more episodes coming stateside, that means the sales weren't high enough to warrant a dub nor extra licensing. Maybe with the release of this movie, Gintama's popularity (<----- read SALES) might increase enough to convince Sentai that dubbing the main series and possibly giving it a blu ray release would be a worthwhile investment.

Last edited by bored-otaku on Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Amazing news and quite a shock.
From what I gathered, the series sold very poorly on DVD, hence why it got dropped after a few sets.
I would be very shocked if they dubbed this movie, then again, it would get people into the series, and maybe revive it for Sentai.
This would actually be a very good way for them to guage interest in how well a dubbed Gintama TV series would sell.
Then again, that could be wishful thinking.
Either way, amazing news out of nowhere!

Hopefully Sentai reveal what their intentions are with this movie and with the TV series soon!

EDIT: Being realistic though, like a poster mentioned, people have been pushing Sentai to do sub-only BD's. Maybe this could be the tester for such an idea? Much safer bet to test with a movie than a TV series.
Then we could get stuff that sold well sub-only on DVD in BD as well...

Last edited by vulcanraven01 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3