• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam AGE & Seed BDs to Have English Subs in Japan

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
And so it begins.... Confused

Now that Bandai Entertainment's gone, whenever a new Gundam comes out, Bandai Visual will just slap some cheap English speed-subs on it without a dub and expect people to pay hundreds of bucks to import only a handful of episodes. And the sad thing is.... a lot of people will actually do it.

It's a good thing I'm not a big Gundam fan, or I'd be pretty pissed off. Confused

Also, why aren't they including the English dub on the Seed remasters? It's already done and would be simple to include. That just adds more salt to the wound. Mad
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
Putting the english dub of Gundam Seed would involve Bandai actually caring about Gundam being successful. They don't so we are just going to get a bunch of subtitles stuffed onto a disc, have Bandai ship a couple hundred over here and charged 50 dollars for two-three episodes for it.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:49 am Reply with quote
Looks at anime shelf, hmmmm Seed and Seed destiny. (as well as 00 and parts of Wing, and all of zeta)

Looks at AGE's Art, hmmmm meh

I like gundam but i'm not paying japanese prices for it, and age did not pick my interest when i took a look at it.

I'm someone who paid full price for geneon discs and often buy special editions, but the idea that the japanese companies are by passing the american ones just bugs me.

Well i can go without gundam, maybe i'll go get some of the other discs out there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Electromaster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:59 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Putting the english dub of Gundam Seed would involve Bandai actually caring about Gundam being successful. They don't so we are just going to get a bunch of subtitles stuffed onto a disc, have Bandai ship a couple hundred over here and charged 50 dollars for two-three episodes for it.

No, I'm sorry, but I very strongly disagree with you there. The English Dub version of SEED, and 00 for that matter, were terrible. It's one of the few series that I hold strong anti-Dub sentiments about, because it just destroyed it, in my honest opinion; whilst the Japanese seiyuus' performances were much better.

I'm not a Sub Purist, except when English Dubs fail as they did with SEED. I personally like the Dubs of some of the older Universal Century-based series, and the Unicorn series has a superb English Dub, but... not putting an English Dub on SEED is a blessing.

I just had to state the truth, here. As a strong and avid fan of the Gundam metaseries as a whole, I declare the SEED and 00 Dubs sub-par, and that Bandai didn't seem to really care for the same type of good English Dubs that existed on 0079, Zeta and 08th MS Team.

I am glad they gave a strong Dub team to Unicorn, though. U.C. deserves the best!-
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:46 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
And the sad thing is.... a lot of people will actually do it.x

I dunno about "a lot". Something like the all-encompassing Garden of Sinners box set, sure, two Fate/Zero boxes, okay, every volume of a 50 so-odd episode show? Ehhh...a handful, maybe.

I may have minded this a bit less if we had least managed to get Turn A Gundam squeezed out before Bandai Entertainment was made to quit. :'(
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quote
Yeah, good for them. Still not selling my lungs.
OtakuboyT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:02 am Reply with quote
I will not pay those insane prices again. Sure us old timers remember paying $20-$30 for a tape with 1 or 2 episodes. BUT NEVER AGAIN.

We over here are cheap. I can't remember the last time I paid MSRP for a boxset (other than Sailormoon, but it was OOP).

This is the digital age give us steam with option to buy.

Stream / with commercials.....free
Downloadable episodes....$3 each
Downloadable volume (disc image / 4 episodes)......$10
Insert for DVD case............$2
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:28 am Reply with quote
The Seed remaster changes enough of the editing in places that the dub would also have to be re-edited, and that would be cost a lot of money.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:41 am Reply with quote
Electromaster wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

No, I'm sorry, but I very strongly disagree with you there. The English Dub version of SEED, and 00 for that matter, were terrible. It's one of the few series that I hold strong anti-Dub sentiments about, because it just destroyed it, in my honest opinion; whilst the Japanese seiyuus' performances were much better.

I'm not a Sub Purist, except when English Dubs fail as they did with SEED. I personally like the Dubs of some of the older Universal Century-based series, and the Unicorn series has a superb English Dub, but... not putting an English Dub on SEED is a blessing.

I just had to state the truth, here. As a strong and avid fan of the Gundam metaseries as a whole, I declare the SEED and 00 Dubs sub-par, and that Bandai didn't seem to really care for the same type of good English Dubs that existed on 0079, Zeta and 08th MS Team.

I am glad they gave a strong Dub team to Unicorn, though. U.C. deserves the best!-

Gundam rarely has great dubs, but Gundam Seed, and Gundam Seed Destiny's dubs where decent. Not as good as Funimation's work but certainly not horrible.

Gundam 00's dub is really bad though you basically have the entire cast not even trying.

I think you're the first person who can tolerate the Zeta Gundam dub.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:42 am Reply with quote
Well if this the normal model for BV then i am glad that BE is gone !! This way i can get my favorite shows with high quality of JP BDs with sub. I know some will not like this release model but i am on and you guys can still enjoy the shows through other legal alternatives. Now If only Gunbuster would include sub as well. Smile
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:51 am Reply with quote
talking about gundam dubs give most of it were done by oh canada aka ocean voice roster.

besides give i like GS series dub yea especially the Lacus.

give 00 dub bit hmm despite deja vu like

set-light same voice in eng & Japanese
summeragi aka murrue ramius 2.0 same dub, hair color, & female in charge of the main ship
patrick big mouth who cheat death like mu & same dub
& feldt pink hair, blue eyes, & Chantal Strand's voice.

give some vibes reminds of GS dub in 00 really bring back GS era.

yet wonder about 10th year HD GS will also be dub someday?
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:42 am Reply with quote
Considering how Gundam AGE's target audience in Japan is apparently lower than that of previous' series, if Bandai are planning on selling that series like Unicorn, by simply selling the Japanese discs abroad for Japanese prices...it will completely skip over that audience.

As for Gundam SEED HD, I can understand why that could have more of a premium price - a HD remaster of a show that is almost 10 years is certainly aimed at the hardcore collectors who will pay any price for it. I already own all of SEED on DVD (Beez's Anime Legends releases; only cost me about £30), so I won't bother with it. Animation wise, it's not beautiful, so I doubt HD will do it any better.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:28 am Reply with quote
I'd love to watch SEED and SEED Destiny in HD, in fact, all the Gundam series I like, but I wish they'd add the dubs
formerroadie1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote
Here we go. Forced importation if you want anime. I sure hope people DON'T do this. You want to stop this from happening, speak with your wallets.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
formerroadie1 wrote:
Here we go. Forced importation if you want anime. I sure hope people DON'T do this. You want to stop this from happening, speak with your wallets.

No one is forcing anyone to do anything. The release info was made months back and only recently they mentioned that it will include English sub and now some are over-reacting ?? People will still have other legit ways to watch/own the show(s) in lower price alternatives such as streams, digital downloads and so on.

BDs have always been made for collectors who prefer physical copies and are willing to pay premium price for it (at least in Japan). I don't see a reason for that to change just because they included English sub for perhaps a number of oversee fans who wouldn't mind that at all.

I will surly pick Seed (pending reviews), as for Age neither English sub or dub would make me interested in it at all. I'll save my money for Gundam Origin when it comes or other Gundam shows on BD with sub in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3