• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jim Henson Studios to produce Parasyte

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote
NEAT.

A++.

Parasyte is a great concept for a movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Back in around 1998 when Tokyopop had a magazine I first read about the idea for this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
NANIIIIIIIII?????

Now this is some news? Might be interesting.
I would like to learn more about this.
Didn't they talk about this being in the works some time ago?
Or is this the first time this has been considered?
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm very excited about this Parasyte film. Even though it's a lesser known manga it's a title that put Tokyopop on the map and would be great on screen if done properly.

In some ways I'm not surprised Hollywood is now selecting manga for potential films after the success of comic based films and also east to west film adaptions like the Grudge and the Ring etc.

It's okay to be anxious they might mess it up, but with Hitosi Iwaaki or anyone who knows the manga well enough onboard, this could be one mean film. I hope this convinces Tokyopop to do a right to left reprint run of the Parasyte manga.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
guyverfanboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Cool. I never read the manga, but I'd like to see the movie. Smile
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Jim Henson's Parasyte Babies Razz I was a pretty big fan of the series back in the Maxi days, but it's good to see Lefty on screen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
chops

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I am also a big Parasyte fan- but I am very sceptical of a live action, albeit muppet-enhanced, version. I am afraid the movements, speed and porportions will be 'wrong' in live action!

Would this not be much better as an animated feature?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, unlike live-action Evangelion, live-action Parasyte actually has a studio backing it, New Line Cinema.

It might actually get somewhere.

We'll see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quote
There's already a muppets adaptation of Parasyte. It's called Meet the Feebles. :)
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:45 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
There's already a muppets adaptation of Parasyte. It's called Meet the Feebles. Smile

no matter how good they make this, it could never top a hippo with a machine gun.Wink

i hope they don't dumb it down. i'm worried about New Line being at the reins of such an project.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:51 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

i hope they don't dumb it down. i'm worried about New Line being at the reins of such an project.

Yeah, cause, you know, New Line has a terrible track record for book adaptations.

Oh wait, Lord of the Rings.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Technically, WETA produced LOTR, and New Line just distributed it. New Line gave us Son of a Bi, I mean Son of The Mask. Plus they're responsible for that gripping drama, Snakes on a Plane.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:12 am Reply with quote
The Henson company HAS evolved from doing just the muppet type movies like Labrinth. They just released a movie called Mirror Mask, and it doesn't really use the muppets you all are worried about. Take a look at the Mirror Mask trailer at the site http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1808624595 . *Wishes the movie was screening in her area due to her love of Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean*

Depending on what kind of budget Parasyte will have, the cg effects will be a lot better than Mirror Mask, which had pretty much no budget.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:26 am Reply with quote
I'm not really sure what fantasy world people live in where Jim Henson Studios only does stuff with muppets and if their name is on something that means muppets will be in it.

They're a special effects house just like anyone else. They did the effects for the recent Hichhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie. Their involvement says nothing except that they'll be handling the effects for the film. That's it.
beverins

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Anything less than an R rating for this movie is going to force the producers to cut out the scenes that really make this manga shocking - the apparent ease in which humans and parasytes together get sliced up.... Yes, they have that sort of "SPAM-slicing" funny stuff in Tom and Jerry / Bugs Bunny, but Parasyte dolls that up with fountains of blood. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2