• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
U.S. Discontinued / OOP Anime Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
It would make sense for them to release a box around the same time they release one for Shana III. Hell, I would be all over a limited box of all three seasons, the OVA's, and the Shana-tan specials or something, especially if it were blu-ray, but I don't see them doing that.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
So... basically everything that's currently out that's not been released in the last 12 months.

Got it.

I guess I'm not sure what you are referring here. This thread is about discontinued and out of print anime. Time frames on when they occur varies all of the place. In most cases, the studios/distributors don't inform the public ahead of time.
ajr wrote:
TAN? I'm sorry, I don't what that stands for. Streaming? Thanks for posting this.

The Anime Network. I use this as another measure stick for ADV Films titles. If listed there (and with streaming options made available), it may tell me the full license/release may or may not be OOP.
st_owly wrote:
Should Monster be on the list, since it's highly unlikely Viz will ever finish releasing it? I'm really surprised Ouran Host Club is OOP over the pond; it's everywhere here. Rolling Eyes

I won't be adding Monster on the list until the one boxset is truly heading to OOP.

As for Ouran High School Host Club, it's unclear what the license status is. The Blu-ray release has been OOP for a while. The DVD release quietly went to OOP.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
It would make sense for them to release a box around the same time they release one for Shana III. Hell, I would be all over a limited box of all three seasons, the OVA's, and the Shana-tan specials or something, especially if it were blu-ray, but I don't see them doing that.

Shana III is a ways off. FUNimation right now only has announced the streaming rights to it as well. It remains to be seen that S1 and on will be released this year. Even if licensed, I wouldn't expect Shana III until 2013 to 2014.
oriana3k

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Ouran, if you look at RightStuf's page, it's listed as a Preorder, and Date to be Determined. I asked them about it, and was told:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting us. I do believe the Ouran High School Host Club DVD Complete Set (Hyb)is a rerelease. I'm not sure when the first edition was released. It is listed without a date at this time because we are waiting for the manufacturer's to update that information to us. Feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

So I don't think that show's dead in the water just yet. :)
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Oriana3k wrote:
Regarding Ouran, if you look at RightStuf's page, it's listed as a Preorder, and Date to be Determined. I asked them about it, and was told:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting us. I do believe the Ouran High School Host Club DVD Complete Set (Hyb)is a rerelease. I'm not sure when the first edition was released. It is listed without a date at this time because we are waiting for the manufacturer's to update that information to us. Feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

So I don't think that show's dead in the water just yet. Smile

Actually, the series never had a re-release on DVD. The DVD collection had a repackage, but the UPC and SKU did not change.
lem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
ajr wrote:
TAN? I'm sorry, I don't what that stands for. Streaming? Thanks for posting this.

The Anime Network most likely.

I'm really glad a have seen fit to get a decent amount of these titles before they became overly obscure. Still I do have a wishlist of these which I did miss out on:

Arjuna
Gundam MS Igloo
Gunsmith Cats
Maison Ikkoku
Paranoia Agent
They Were 11
Urusei Yatsura

if you have something you can play region 2 stuff on here's Paranoia Agent:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paranoia-Agent-The-Collection-DVD/dp/B004HARL4C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329373341&sr=8-2

17.99 British Pound Sterling = about $28.19 USD before shipping
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quote
^Thanks, I'll keep it in mind since I can, but imported stuff is rather inconvenient since I have to watch it on my PC.

supercreep wrote:

Amazon is currently selling They Were 11 through a seller for $9.99.

Cool thanks. I also went ahead and ordered some other old stuff that's probably OOP as well as long as I'm at it, Maetel Legend and Harlock Saga.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
I guess I missed out on the Baccano! blu-ray box set. It's a shame Aniplex chose to only release it in 2.0 audio or else I would have picked it up. Hopefully, Funimation picks it up some time down the line, but I won't be holding my breath. The only other title I would want in my collection is Wolf's Rain.
lem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
^Thanks, I'll keep it in mind since I can, but imported stuff is rather inconvenient since I have to watch it on my PC.

with a little shopping around a region free dvd player can be had for less than fifty bucks http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-DVD-C350-Region-Player-Black/dp/B003VX56MK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329409045&sr=8-2 It's been awhile since I used a windows based pc of any sort, but I'm pretty sure region coding can be changed for your pc's optical drive.
I know it's a pain in the butt trying to complete a region 1 OOP set, it took me 3 years just to get all of Aura Battler Dunbine (and it'll probably take me another 3 to finish watching it?). anyway Good luck on your wishlist.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
The totally free media player VLC Player plays DVD's from other regions through your computer without switching the Region on your computer (which you can apparently only do a handful of times). Although I've only watched one R2 disc this way, it worked flawlessly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
lem wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

with a little shopping around a region free dvd player can be had for less than fifty bucks http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-DVD-C350-Region-Player-Black/dp/B003VX56MK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329409045&sr=8-2 It's been awhile since I used a windows based pc of any sort, but I'm pretty sure region coding can be changed for your pc's optical drive.
I know it's a pain in the butt trying to complete a region 1 OOP set, it took me 3 years just to get all of Aura Battler Dunbine (and it'll probably take me another 3 to finish watching it?). anyway Good luck on your wishlist.

Yeah, I thought about the region free player option, but that would mean I'd either have to throw away a perfectly good piece of electronics or mess with switches/selectors to somehow shunt a 6th device into my TV and surround sound system.
supercreep

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Guren Alchemist4 wrote:
I guess I missed out on the Baccano! blu-ray box set. It's a shame Aniplex chose to only release it in 2.0 audio or else I would have picked it up. Hopefully, Funimation picks it up some time down the line, but I won't be holding my breath. The only other title I would want in my collection is Wolf's Rain.

The 2.0 is a bummer, but I barely notice it on my receiver; I have it set to separate into 5.1.
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Reported by Michael's Movie Mayhem as heading OOP:
Quote:
Digimon: The Movie Fox 2000 024543011347
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
Wait, Ranma TV and the Movies are still in print. The second edition boxsets are still available on Rightstuf, Amazon, and so on. And the movie boxset is still listed on both sites as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote
This list is depressing, especially in light of how many of these shows I watched through Netflix. Many of the Pioneer/Geneon titles were OOP by more than 5 years before I got around to them.

Sometimes, it really is better to be ignorant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11