• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Howl's Moving Castle and Tales from Earthsea U.K. Blu-Ray June 25

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote
Why are they bothering to rerelease Tales from Earthsea? :S
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote
they might be counting on people picking both up when you buy
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:

Because the DVDs evidently sold well enough.
Ghibli films have a wider audience than picky anime fans, remember.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:

Because the DVDs evidently sold well enough.
Ghibli films have a wider audience than picky anime fans, remember.

Indeed, they also have an audience of some more general film goers, who also were less impressed on the whole with TFE than many other Ghibli films. For the record, I haven't seen Tales From Earthsea but do plan to do so eventually (I'll buy the DVD for cheap somewhere), I may end up loving it if I see it, but just because Ghibli have become the "all anime sucks except this" thing, doesn't mean that there aren't numerous other anime films that I've seen that deserve a much wider audience than TFE likely does based on it's overall reception. Such as the works of Mamoru Hosoda and Satoshi Kon for starters. I am thinking though, that I may pop into town today and see if I can pick up this film for cheap somewhere, and then watch it, because I am curious and then I can get back to you with a more informed opinion. Unfortunate thing is that I'd rather view it in high definition, but because there's a not insubstantial chance that I'll really dislike it, I'm not willing to blind-buy an expensive Blu-ray. So DVD it is.

Howl's Moving Castle I would rather like to own on Blu-ray but it has a pretty decent DVD transfer that upscales very well and I'm not made of money (though I don't doubt that a good Blu-ray release would look better). Now Kiki's Delivery Service, that's a film I would love to see released on Blu-ray, it's my favourite Ghibli film and I have the old u.k. Buena Vista release with the subpar transfer, upgrading to glorious HD would be wonderful (I'm guessing subsequent DVD rereleases have better video, but I'd rather have a "whole hog" upgrade).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1