• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Arrietty Earns US$1.7 Million to Rank #9 on Friday

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arsenette

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
That's awesome news Very Happy
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
just look at the number of theaters for release and that might have something to do with some of those numbers your looking at.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Still.. the fact they got those numbers are still good considering the otherwise dismal anime showing of late.

Anyone have a per screen comparison to other Ghibli films?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I definitely see it sinking Ponyo as the highest grossing Ghibli film here in the states with these numbers. I can see it potentially getting over $20 million overall, but it's gonna take something big to sink the all time highest grossing two anime films being Pokemon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the_windcaster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Doing some quick mental estimation, it looks like it's making about the same money per screen as Ponyo did, which is still really exciting, that expanding the screens didn't lower the turnout to each one.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
There were 40 to 50 people in the theater last night, for the third of four show times, and this is not exactly a large town. Summer Wars didn't have a turnout that large in Dallas, when I saw it there, with the VA cast present to answer questions. I would say this is very promising.

A anime that's popular with the general public could only be a good thing for everybody.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I suppose that's good, but I expected it to break a little above $2 million and rank higher with the additional screenings and big promotional effort. At least the reviews have been very warm.

Still, I have to wonder how well a theatrical run of Redline would have done if it had gotten a similar blitz…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
I suppose that's good, but I expected it to break a little above $2 million and rank higher with the additional screenings and big promotional effort.

It's a family movie released on a school day, so it'll have a bigger increase on Saturday than the non-family movies.

Sam Murai wrote:
Still, I have to wonder how well a theatrical run of Redline would have done if it had gotten a similar blitz…

Since it's not a kid's movie, I don't think Redline would've done 1/5th of the opening day business had it been released on the same number of screens as The Secret of Arrietty, and I suspect I'm being very generous in assuming it would've even get close to 1/5th of the business. Maybe a wide adult audience should see it, maybe a wide adult audience would enjoy it if only they'd give it a chance, but the wider adult audience outside of existing anime and animation fandom would've avoided it like the plague because it's a weird-looking cartoon, so releasing it on around 1500 screens would've been a box office disaster leading to financial ruin for the distributor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising, overall the film was great despite a flaw and the animation was superb. Can't wait to see the reviews.

Genuinely curious to what the general public's opinion towards to the rather unfinished feeling ending will be.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Per screen, it's about the same as Spirited Away and Ponyo's first few days actually. So, one might hypothesize that existing fans of Ghibli are going, but it's not bringing in anyone outside of the existing fans it seems.

A film like Ghost Rider makes about $2000 more per screen.

Last edited by bravetailor on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
A film like Ghost Rider makes about $2000 more per screen.

Come on now. Nicholas Cage needs that money to finish his set of steak knives.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I lol @ the guy who said this was going to beat episode 1 re-release
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I never thought Arriety would do so well on it's US release. I welcome this news, congrats Arriety.
darkonezero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering what the numbers were after watching it today. There were only around 10 people at the 4:10PM screening, so I'm a bit surprised by the first day earnings.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai: Next weekend's really what's going to determine this thing's fate. Arrietty had way too much competition this weekend. But it also has the best WOM, so that could boost interest in it.

brave: You have to take into account that Spirited Away was low-profile until the Oscar win. Ponyo, OTOH, probably could've benefited from Miyazaki touring the country, instead of just California.

Bonus: Nothing wrong with wishful thinking. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2