• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Arrietty Opens at #9 with US$6.4 Million

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtakuboyT

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
about time
Arsenette

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for putting the per screen average. SO happy it's doing better than Ponyo.. Very Happy Again.. given the anime climate now. I'm happy it's doing well!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
lol at FMAs' 170k box office earnings.
Donpablo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
1945113 wrote:

I imagine that low amount was due to only have a handful of theaters showing it.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Donpablo wrote:
1945113 wrote:

I imagine that low amount was due to only have a handful of theaters showing it.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=fullmetalalchemist2012.htm

42 theaters, $2,840 per screen average
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Biggest American opening for an anime that's not Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh. Not bad.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
screen average doesn't matter that much. it's all about total $$$. if you have 1 screen and 100k, it's just not much money.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Is there a list of, say, the top 10 highest-grossing anime movies in the US, in order? I mentioned this story to my husband, and when he asked what the others were, I realized I couldn't find the complete info in this article to confirm whether his guesses were accurate (am I missing an obvious link? That happens sometimes). Thanks.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
la_contessa wrote:
Is there a list of, say, the top 10 highest-grossing anime movies in the US, in order?

Everyone who has talked about anime movies grossing at the box office, they usually refer to Pokemon the First movie being the highest-grossing (if that's how you say it). From what I've read, Pokemon the first movie grossed $85,744,662 in North America with 3,043 theaters open. And Pokemon the Movie 2000 grossed $43,758,684 in North America.

Actually, I think the Box Office Mojo site has more accurate information on anime movie rankings.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Actually, I think the Box Office Mojo site has more accurate information on anime movie rankings.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks!
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
screen average doesn't matter that much. it's all about total $$$. if you have 1 screen and 100k, it's just not much money.

I disagree. Screen average is the most important thing. If you're opening wide and each showing is not making a lot, you've lost money by reserving that many theatres for your film.

If you opened in 3000 theatres and each theatre only made $900 on opening weekend, it's a complete disaster. You might get 2 million in just 1 day, but each theatre will lose money faster on that film, which means the film is tanking.

If you have 1 screen and it got 100k in 3 days (which is unrealistic and would have to mean the theatre is HUUUUUGE), that means there's an insane amount of demand for the film and that theatre is making a ton of money off it. (And if an anime made 100k on just 1 screen, the distribution company would be crazy to not expand the amount of screens)

At any rate, Arrietty is making more money per screen than last year's 2D animated Winnie the Pooh opening, which opened in 2405 theatres and managed 7.8 million in 3 days. Arrietty will likely get another million come Monday, so it *might* beat Winnie the Pooh when all is said and done, and Winnie made 26 million total. If you're REALLY optimistic, Arrietty MIGHT...MIGHT...flirt with 30 million when all is said and done. And that would be a HUGE success. But that would require staying power. I think comparing to another recent 2d animated movie is a good barometer, and Arrietty's passing it so far, despite my sour grapes in the last box office thread.

The big question is if this is enough to compel future Disney-Ghibli releases to be released in over 2000 screens? I would say probably yes. It's not a slam dunk, but I think it's good enough to play with more screens in the future. So in the end, that's what matters.

Last edited by bravetailor on Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hiro94

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Lol i just got home from seeing this im glad its doing so well.
karenai_hana

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
After its first weekend, Ponyo is now the 8th highest grossing theatrical anime release in the United States, above Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Pokemon 4Ever, and Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence.

It should be Arrietty, not Ponyo.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
But that would require staying power. I think comparing to another recent 2d animated movie is a good barometer, and Arrietty's passing it so far, despite my sour grapes in the last box office thread.

Ponyo had excellent legs, so it's very likely that Arietty will have similar staying power. It's even possible the numbers could grow depending on how good word of mouth is... not entirely likely, but it wouldn't be a huge surprise.

This makes me wonder how Disney is going to handle Poppy Hill. Obviously it's not going to score Arietty, or even Ponyo-sized distribution, but hopefully it can at least get a wider release than, say, Howl's Moving Castle did. I don't think we're going to see a Ghibli film with 2000+ screens until Miyazaki's next film comes along.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why it is that Ghibli films take so long before they are released here in the US. It's been almost two years since Arrietty opened in Japan, I can't image why it would take that long to license and localize a release. Heck, they've even had a dub release in the UK since last summer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3