• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NSFW Holiday Greetings

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
When this happened at New Years', I was content with bringing it up in the relevant thread, especially as it was quickly fixed. However, now that it's occurred again (and I've commented in-thread and it has been fixed), this is something that needs to be addressed.

I understand that there are plenty of risque and hentai titles in anime, manga, visual novels and other games with similar "anime-style" artwork. And I recognize that they seem to be the ones who post the majority of these holiday greetings. However, it is inexcusable to me, that some of the artwork has been posted with no warnings whatsoever.

I don't remember which piece in the New Years' greetings I (and others) found objectionable, but as soon as it was brought up, it was quickly moved to the bottom with a warning before it so that people could avoid it. For the Valentines' Day one, which obviously has more potential for offensive images, the offensive image was the Whitesoft image (which, thankfully, has also been moved).

What I don't understand, is why I and others have had to object to these. Why are they not being noted as offensive/potentially offensive/problematic before they're being published? Shouldn't what I think most would consider a respectable news site, in regards to anime, offer the same amount of respect for their readers that any mainstream news media would, as they put warnings for any potentially offensive content in their articles/news segments?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Hi Dessa,

We're really sorry about this. We do have an NSFW policy at ANN, and we just slipped up on these two occasions.

The policy is to link to the images with an nsfw warning and/or censor them. In these cases we were posting a lot of images repeatedly and went into auto-pilot, not noticing the frontal nudity.

We'll be more careful in the future.

-t
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Tempest, in my opinion, the images weren't really all that bad. I can honestly say I've seen worse in other sites that normally are fairly clean themselves.

I normally would absolutely never say this about any other site, but I know how hard the ANN staff and you yourself to keep this site as awesome and for the most part, family friendly. Accidents happen even if your exceptionally careful.

So speaking as both a member and a subscriber, it's all good. But I would like to thank you for all your hard work here on ANN though.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Tempest, for the response. I had been honestly surprised to see even those two images, over the years I've been coming to ANN (longer than I've been a member). The fact that there were two that slipped through in such a quick succession was more of what prompted the post.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1