• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Arrietty Rises to #8 With $8.1 Million in 4 Days

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
as with any other "Record" breaking film....this is not counting inflation and such. just in 2007 movies where I live were a whole 2 dollars cheaper per person than they are now....it's hilarious
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
as with any other "Record" breaking film....this is not counting inflation and such. just in 2007 movies where I live were a whole 2 dollars cheaper per person than they are now....it's hilarious

It is true that movie tickets have risen since 2009 when the previous record holder, Ponyo, opened — but not 66% higher. Arrietty's 3-day opening weekend tally is about 66% higher than Ponyo's.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Really glad to see it doing well. It's a very neat film and it deserves it's spot at #8. I hope it does even better. It's nice to see an anime film in such a wide release and I hope they'll continue the trend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't matter in this case. Ponyo is the next highest opening weekend grossing Ghibli film with barely half of what Arrietty earned. Inflation hasn't lifted ticket prices by 100% since 8/2009. (3rd highest is Spirited away with 1.7M and no other Ghibli film has broken 1M on opening weekend.)

Edit: I'm even giving Ponyo help by using the 3 day weekend numbers instead of the 4-day weekend numbers that Egan did. Razz
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
it doesn't matter how you do the math. this one is doing better than Ponyo.
shukero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I hope that this film makes disney re-look at some more co-productions with anime creators! Would love to see more movies like this in theaters
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden: And that's good for anime in general.

I think my problem with the bubble was that it was artificially inflated by poseurs who only pretended to be anime fans, because it was trendy to do so. And then they left the industry hanging when they cashed in and/or got enough attention that they didn't need fandom. That's really why it's taken so damned long for anime like Arrietty to do better here, even when it doesn't suffer from being an R movie like, say, Cowboy Bebop. Because the leftover fans had to start all over in promoting anime, including Ghibli.

As for Ponyo, yeah, ticket prices are higher since it came out here, but as someone previously pointed out, it still had a better weekend than the last Winnie the Pooh. Maybe that Wizards whatever is really popular with the tweens, and that's really what helped the box office, but if so, congratulations to Disney for finally finding the dream cast needed to get Ghibli more exposure. Personally, I liked the dub actors for Ponyo, but they weren't going to put the butts of casual viewers into seats for a "cartoon". Marketing isn't just about ad exposure, but about reaching the right audience. And I guess this attempt finally did it.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Arrietty did $8.6 million, according to the "actual" numbers:

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?view=studioest&yr=2012&wknd=07a&p=.htm

It's the only one new film that exceeded initial estimates.

It had a helluva Monday.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote
President's Day no-school Monday definitely helped its per-screen numbers, more than any other film except Ghost Rider.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote
Would be nice if more people saw it and boosted it to number one...I may go again to see it. I really enjoyed it. It was nice seeing another Ghibli film on the big screen. I would have loved for any of the previous releases to have even a small theatrical run but, I don't see that happening. I'd have loved to see Nausicaa or Laputa on the big screen...maybe someone will do a Ghibli film festival or something, what with the success of Arriety so far. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:52 am Reply with quote
And now people who report on BO earnings still can't pronounce "Arriety."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1