• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Develops Live-Action Film of Tite Kubo's Bleach Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I just noticed that Peter Segal directed Nutty Professor II: The Klumps.

Oh god, please let's make sure Eddie Murphy is steered clear of Bleach.
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
@ Mawdryn

Along side Voltron, how come those big giant robot titles are still in development hell? Hasn't the Transformers trilogy, and Real Steal has proven to Hollywood that having movies with giant robots beat the crap out of each other is making big money with audiences? I take it's because of how they would handle the budget and CG because I bet that the first movie of them alone would be close to $200 million.

Also, we're not talking about the Americanization of anime like the titles you mentioned, we're talking about anime titles who are already non-Asian in the originals as well like my stated examples of Fullmetal Alchemist, Soul Eater, Hellsing, and Chrono Crusade which has already established non-Asian main leads in anime from the very begining.

Talking about those titles, do you think they will appeal to North American audiences if they were turned to live action? I personally believe that with careful tinkering, I feel the they would make definitely make good crossover appeal to non-fans.

Real steel was a flop, a $110 million dollar budget with a total US box office of $85 million dollars (repeat with me global box office does NOT count with hollywood accountants otherwise there would have been a sequal for the golden compass already).
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
I just noticed that Peter Segal directed Nutty Professor II: The Klumps.

Oh god, please let's make sure Eddie Murphy is steered clear of Bleach.

Who do you think is going to voice Kon?

Lycosyncer wrote:
Along side Voltron, how come those big giant robot titles are still in development hell? Hasn't the Transformers trilogy, and Real Steal has proven to Hollywood that having movies with giant robots beat the crap out of each other is making big money with audiences? I take it's because of how they would handle the budget and CG because I bet that the first movie of them alone would be close to $200 million.

None of those are really 'mech' movies in the way anime portrays mechs. I mean, Transformers was barely about the Transformers, let's be honest. You spend more time with the humans and Shia LeBouf's love problems and his annoying parents. And Transformers isn't something we should hope these movies end up being like in terms of quality.

Quote:
Also, we're not talking about the Americanization of anime like the titles you mentioned, we're talking about anime titles who are already non-Asian in the originals as well like my stated examples of Fullmetal Alchemist, Soul Eater, Hellsing, and Chrono Crusade which has already established non-Asian main leads in anime from the very begining.

Liz and Patty are the only real American. Maka, Black Star, Death, and Tsubaki are all Japanese.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Mawdryn wrote:
For non-anime fans, it would simply be something they never saw before. They would like it or not like it on it's own merits because they would have nothing else to compare it to like anime fans would.

Then why are the press releases noting how widespread the international fanbase is fpr Bleach?
Non-anime fans aren't the majority of the ones going to see live-action movies based on anime franchises, despite non-anime fans outnumbering anime fans. A great skill for a person in marketing to acquire is the ability to differentiate between total population and target demographic.

Quote:
Every film adaptation is always made or developed with more than anime fans in mind. Anime fans are merely what brought the property to the attention of Hollywood. But as anime fans are a small minority and can't make a big budget film a financial success just by themselves, they're really looking for something that will resonate with as many people as possible, including folks who may never have any heard of the term anime before.

If your reasoning is, in fact, what Hollywood producers think then that is why no anime based live-action film has been a finical success for Hollywood and never will be. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Commenting that the existing fan base is why the property was licensed but not why the film is made in oxymoronic and every change will prove counter-productive.

Hopefully Hollywood and you will learn that trying to please everyone doesn't work.
MrMancha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
MrMancha wrote:
Soul Eater would be way easier, wont have to change a thing.similar premise to work with

Um.....Shingami-san? Death the Kid? Tsubaki? Spirit Albarn/aka Death Scythe? Death Weapon Meister Academy?

Yeah, nothing to change.....

Soul Evans,black star,Death the Kid,Thompson Sisters,sprit,Ox Ford,Kilik Rung,Kim Diehl,Marie Mjolnir,Franken Stein
a global multi cultural organization meant to take out dangerous sprits
pretty easy focused on a group of certain kids
MrMancha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
@ Mawdryn

Hasn't the whitewashed adaptation of Akira not being strongly received well by the fans that it has forced WB to cancel the project all together? Every single news that relates to that disaster has always received negative reception and they made the right choice to just scrap it all together. Even if they did whitewash Bleach, I still don't think it would be received well by the fans.

I'm still surprised that Hollywood hasn't adapted any anime titles that DON'T have Asian main leads in them already like Hellsing, Chrono Crusade, and most of all the most popular one of them all is Fullmetal Alchemist. If they adapted them instead, we wouldn't even have to worry of the whitewashing at all and just worry if they would do the original titles justice.

As for someone who said that Soul Eater would make a more easier adaptation, I would actually agree if they get Tim Burton to do it because this series would so fit his style and be right up his alley. Also, the series IS already set in America (Death City is in the state of Nevada) and so, they can still keep all of the original cast with some minor changes that they could do like call Shinigami-sama into Lord Death like in the English dub and it would work. As for what the casting would go, Tsubaki and Black Star can stay Asian for sure since they did transfer from Japan and moved to the DWMA and Maka would be played by someone who's half-Asian since in the source material, it's been said that only her unseen mother is Japanese. As for the adults, knowing Burton, he would definitely cast Johnny Depp as Stein and Helena Bonham Carter as Medusa, I'm sure of it.
Very Happy it could be so awesome
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
@ Ushio

Isn't it said that the the box office has to double the amount in order to be called a success? At least that movie got it's money back but yeah, I don't think we will see a sequel to Real Steel anytime soon.

@ TitanXL

Alright but the point still stands though about giant robots. The closest that Hollywood has in having actual mechs is in those disappointing Matrix sequels and recently, James Cameron's Avatar. How would you compare those mechs to all the famous anime mechs that we all know?

I got myself thinking of what would happen if Micheal Bay got his hands on Code Geass because the series would definitely fit right into his alley but unlike Transformers, Code Geass is a lot more darker and sophisticated compared to Transformers. Admit it, you would find Lelouch to be far more interesting to follow than Sam.

Okay but Soul Eater is a big ensemble show. I think Soul is white and Maka is only half-Japanese because her father Spirit is definitely not Japanese but her unseen mother is.

@ Mawdryn

Since you mentioned the Americanized adaptations rather than the originals, it's only fair that I should mention popular anime titles that already feature non-Asian main leads in the originals too and out of the four anime titles I've mentioned, I think Fullmetal Alchemist has the closest chance to getting a live action adaptation since it's more well known than the others.

@ MrMancha

Yes! A live action adaptation of Soul Eater following this way would easily get my ticket!
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
There's a lot of factors that make me feel this won't carry the things that make Bleach... Bleach.

1) White-washing. I guess smaller kids may not care, but it'll seem so odd to see a group of caucasian people with Japanese names. Unless they plan scrapping the original characters and doing their own thing with the series' concepts/Universe, which I actually would not mind at all.
2) The dialog. Bleach is aimed at children, so the dialog has always been sparse and clunky. Most characters talk very big, boastful, and enjoy grandstanding as they shout their attacks or proclaim dominace. Those things are easier to accept when they're coming out of the mouths of cartoons, and it would take a savvy writer to adapt that into English live-action where it wouldn't seem hokey. Again, if they're not actually taking anything from Kubo's story, this is negligible.

Really, Americanizing Bleach wouldn't be the worst thing on Earth. One question I know a lot of fans have wondered is what happens when people who aren't from Japan die in Bleach. Is there a Soul Society for those people, do they just end up in fuedal era Japan?
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
Why does everyone think WB will ruin this? Did we forget about The Dark Knight, 300, and Watchmen? What, because of Dragonball Evolution, it's mandatory to assume an adaptation is going to suck? Did you know that in the 90s, nobody thought Superhero movies will catch on?

Why was Watchmen included in that list?

Maybe because it was a carbon copy of the graphic novel?
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:55 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
Why does everyone think WB will ruin this? Did we forget about The Dark Knight, 300, and Watchmen? What, because of Dragonball Evolution, it's mandatory to assume an adaptation is going to suck? Did you know that in the 90s, nobody thought Superhero movies will catch on?

That was a joke right?
Manieme

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:06 am Reply with quote
well, let's give just them a try .. a fail or not .. i want to watch it though .. Smile
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:33 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

I don't recall Nite Owl and Silk Spectre doing the nasty in Nite Owls....craft.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:33 am Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
I wonder what title will they use for this movie.

If they indeed go with Bleach, the people who watch, and are not familiar with the manga/anime, are gonna go "so wtf did the title have to do with the movie, anyway?"

What part of the Manga/Anime explained the title?

What with no one being cast, and likely not a single draft of the script finished, let's not burn down WB's studio just yet.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:06 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

Gee not like the novel had some sort of squid or anything.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:25 am Reply with quote
Isn't shinigami basically the Japanese version of the Grim Reaper. (Excuse my ignorance and correct me if I'm wrong.) A Hollywood could probably be based on the Western concept of the Grim Reaper.

As for Oki being involved, I just wanna say "Save the Dead, Save the world."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10