• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Lucky Eight

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
A Devil and Her Love Song would have been enjoyable if it wasn't for the EXTREMELY annoying and lame male characters.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote
A D for Devil and her Love Song is a bit too harsh. It's not a masterpiece but not that bad. D is like the worst grade ever given on this column. Imho Devil is in general a very decent shojo manga (as for the reasons see here), and for anybody who usually likes shojo it is worth a try.
The criticism mentioned here is hard to relate to for me. It certainly doesn't read as bad as a "D". And the story doesn't even have a lack of focus, it just deals with more than one issue and also resolves them as the story goes on o_O;
sokpupet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:33 am Reply with quote
As long as Crunchyroll uses flash I don't see any reason to not go for the Nook Tablet. It's $199 for the new 8GB model so you're getting a good deal anyway.

In the interest of disclosure I work at B&N and sell Nooks, but I have (and love my) a Kindle so I'm not just mindlessly blathering about the company I work for.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:48 am Reply with quote
I bought and read the three volumes of FUJOSHI RUMI and loved them even though I knew the series was not completed in the US. I'm happy to hear it's available at JManga. I guess I'll have to subscribe, but is it worth the money? Anybody try them yet?
FeralKat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Dawn of the Arcana was an utter disappointment. All the right ingredients were there: political intrigue, complicated relationships, etc. But the execution is clumsy and amateurish. =/ Plus the characters aren't capable of moving their eyebrows or showing any other emotion aside from 'pretty.' (Dear Artist, it's okay to make your characters contort their faces for the sake of emotions!)

Edit: I should add that I, too, think the grade for The Devil and her Love Song was quite harsh. =/ I enjoyed it a lot more. Dawn of the Arcana deserves a D.
SuperSaiyen312

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:

Edit: I should add that I, too, think the grade for The Devil and her Love Song was quite harsh. =/ I enjoyed it a lot more. Dawn of the Arcana deserves a D.

I'd like to counter that claim

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=775856
shukero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
amazing agent Jennifer looks very interesting.

I think I might get vol 1.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
SuperSaiyen312 wrote:
FeralKat wrote:

I'd like to counter that claim

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=775856

Though that's Vol 1. This is Vol 2. It's graded Vol by Vol.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
D is like the worst grade ever given on this column.

I don't really have anything to say about The Devil and her Love Song, however!

D does seem to be the lowest I've ever seen Carlo give something. I don't recall ever seeing an F... Anyone know of anything he's given an F?
nottimkai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
If anyone, like me, was convinced by this column to not pick up "A Devil and her Love Song", please reconsider.

I don't claim to speak for any sort of majority, but after reluctantly picking up the first volume despite this column (months after the fact, both re: the column and the manga's release date), I ended up really enjoying it. And the second volume was equally enjoyable.

This is the first time that I have felt that a review on ANN was so completely wrong - bordering on unfair! - that I felt it necessary to speak about it.

I'm a little sad that I may have missed out on other interesting manga because they were panned in this column. I need to stop taking it as gospel, I guess. </sheeple>

(in the course of locating this posting, I found the actual review of this first volume on ANN. It gave it a much higher overall score, one that I agree with more than in the RTO. I either didn't read the review or changed my opinion after reading this column. It's a bad habit. I idolize people too easily)

I apologize for dredging up this ancient forum post. But I really, really felt strongly about this. It won't happen again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1