• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Arakawa Under the Bridge × Bridge Sub. Blu-Ray + DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerbilx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I have never agreed more with a review.

That said, I can forgive the tournament at the end almost entirely for the punchline in which Maria has everyone knit sweaters. That was amazing.
shukero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I just could never get into this anime; I couldn't identify with the characters, and it wasn't my type of humor Sad

The art style was pretty awesome though :3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
I actually have this on-hold for now as I'm not too used to Shaft's uniqueness of animation and word play as they've done in Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, etc.

Still...great review thou.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ringking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While the subtitles cleverly skirt around some of the puns, those curious about the Japanese language would have benefited from learning what was actually said

And this, ladies and gents, is the reason that I so often never watch the DVD's I buy, leaving them on the shelf as trophies and going for the fansub instead.

I want to actually know what im hearing, even if it is a Japaneseism that wouldn't likley make much sense to a western audience (I can always look it up, but even then, is it really so hard to provide a translation note? ) If I wanted what i'm watching to make 100% absolute sense to the English language then I would be watching dubs (I know this one dosent have one, but that's not the point).

Licensors need to stop re-inventing the text for their own convenience under this misguided idea that it makes the product more accessible.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:58 am Reply with quote
I thought this series was always in danger of falling into cheap "ZOMG SO WACKY", actually. It reminded me a bit of the quintessentially so-crazy-it's-boring Bobobobo. It doesn't deal with the problem as well as the first season; it can't keep things fresh with new character introductions and there's surprisingly little screen-time for the sweet love story that managed to elevate the first season so (although the phone poll sequence the review mentions was a highlight). There's nothing near as funny or touching as Rick and Nino's bizarre date from the first season.

Some running jokes, like Stella's Fist of the North Star parody, really wore out their welcome, too.

Ringking wrote:
I want to actually know what im hearing, even if it is a Japaneseism that wouldn't likley make much sense to a western audience (I can always look it up, but even then, is it really so hard to provide a translation note? )

I have the opposite opinion; translation notes break the flow of a scene are thus evil, at best a necessary evil, and part of a translator's job is to avoid them when possible.
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote
This show bored me to tears. I put it in the never to be watched bin after three episodes. It tried too hard and failed to be even slightly humorous.

I was terribly disappointed. Most Shaft series are awesome. How we get this title and we fail to get the brilliant Natsu no Arashi shows just shows how the overhyped otaku bait wins out over the more truly spectacular choices.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
This show is another huge case of personal preference. As a fan of the source material, the anime handed me a really well-done adaption that poured more great visuals in it than I expected to see--a nice surprise, considering I didn't know much about SHAFT at the time.
But when it comes to following a deep, cohesive plot and smoothing through an emotional encounter (both of which the series touches upon), it doesn't really work out as well as it leads you to believe near the beginning. As a comedy, however, it's perfect for the comedy genre it intended to portray from the beginning. And because it's made to be a comedy, the deep levels of reality it does touch upon and pull heartstrings for are nice.
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
A spoiler warning before giving us details about the unresolved story arcs would have been nice.
shukero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:31 am Reply with quote
AlanMintaka wrote:
A spoiler warning before giving us details about the unresolved story arcs would have been nice.

Yes please do not spoil the ending for people who haven't reached it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:00 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
This show bored me to tears. I put it in the never to be watched bin after three episodes. It tried too hard and failed to be even slightly humorous.

Agreed. Well, humor is extremely subjective, but for me Arakawa started nicely enough and then became boring very quickly. Too many of the running gags were not funny and the characters often annoyed rather than entertained me. Recently I watched the first episode of the live action version and I liked it again. Maybe that one will be funnier? The actors are good and I really don't like Shaft's animation style most of the time. Can do without eye-close-ups, slow-motion movements and "blank screen" x_x

I'm still hoping for a Saint Young Men anime though. Even if it is by Shaft ...
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:09 am Reply with quote
Spot on review, at least as far as I'm concerned. The tournament gag was my least favorite part of the series, but I was so in love with the rest of the stunts they managed to pull this season (I like that Carlo mentioned all of my favorites, including the "muscle" sequence, which has a special place in my heart) that it hardly counts as a blemish. I just got around to buying my best friend the season 1 package for her birthday, so I'm sure she'll be happy to receive this one as well as an early, er...Spring/Easter present?
Darnell11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:20 am Reply with quote
The actors are good and I really don't like Shaft's animation style most of the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1