• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reset, replace, or edit polls in the poll section.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
It's been bugging me for awhile now.

Is there anything that can be done about editing/changing/resetting/replacing past polls in the polls section without deleting the content of the threads themselves?

The biggest issue has to do with the older polls that were made before the spambot issue was realized. Every poll that was made before it was realized that spambots, for some reason, automatically vote up the first option in a public poll are basically meaningless. The Dub/Sub poll is a prime example, a half dozen pages of discussion accompanied by a poll that means nothing due to the spambot interference.

If nothing else would it be possible for a mod to create a new poll thread with a new poll that includes a spam option and move/merge/split every one of the old posts into the new thread?

And in the long term, is there any chance that a solution to the problem of spambots participating in the polls will be solved?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Dan and I were completely unaware of this problem before you brought it up.

We'll look into 1) fixing the problem and 2) resetting old polls.

edit: rather, we'll allow subscribers to recreate old polls after we've fixed the problem.

-t
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I've added various countermeasures and also cleaned up the existing polls.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
Thanks! I'm quite surprised it was never noticed before, but happy it got fixed eventually.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1