• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
2012 Tokyo International Anime Fair

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm planning a trip to Japan, and will be in the Tokyo area at the same time as this year's Tokyo International Anime Fair.

I've never had much interest in convention type events, but as an anime fan the chance to go to an event like this in Japan has even me considering going. I'm just wondering if anyone has been in the past and can give me some idea of what it's like.

I've been to their website, so I have the basic details of what's going on this year, but it doesn't give a good feel for what the Fair is like from a non-industry visitor's perspective. I see that they don't allow cosplay at all, and their photography policies seem pretty restrictive, so I feel like the people watching/picture taking aspect might be diminished. My Japanese comprehension is very limited, so I don't think I'll be able to communicate well with most of the people there. It also sounds like the crowds on the days where it's open to the public are pretty insane.

Given those facts, I'm wondering if it's something that would be worth my time or if I should spend the day doing something else. Yeah, I know I'm the only one who can make that decision for myself, but any information from people who have been before would be appreciated. Anime smile
Varinor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
If you are there for the following weekend try the Anime Contents Festival. We are also attending the International Anime Fair but i think it might be a bit Meh with alot of the companies boycotting it, and NO COSPLAY! (seriously how can you have an anime fair without cosplay??)

Luckily we are also there for the next weekend and hopefully we will get to the contents Festival - on a related note does anyone know if the tickets are limited for the Festival?.. i see record numbers being sold and the japanese only website is a bit traumatic to navigate to prepurchase.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Gah. I wasn't even aware of the boycott or the issues surrounding it. I'm starting to think I'm not a big enough anime fan to spend a day of my trip on the TAF. I wonder if a more casual fan like me would even appreciate it, especially with some of the biggest companies not going. I do want to check out Odaiba though, since I've never been to that part of the city, so maybe I'll head out there anyway.

I'll still be in Japan the following weekend, but plan to be traveling so the Anime Contents Festival isn't a possibility.

Well, at least I have a ticket to the Ghibli Museum, so there will be one fun anime related activity for sure during my trip!

Thanks for answering my post, Varinor! I've never been to any kind of large anime related event, so I have no idea what to expect if I go and I'm hoping to get a better idea of things so I can decide what I want to do.
Varinor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:49 am Reply with quote
I'd still go, I think that simply being at a convention in the land of its birth will be a big deal and im a casual fan as well (i pick which i like from checking in on what my son is watching), and as you say after looking around you can do joyopolis and the rest of obaida.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Varinor wrote:
I'd still go, I think that simply being at a convention in the land of its birth will be a big deal and im a casual fan as well (i pick which i like from checking in on what my son is watching), and as you say after looking around you can do joyopolis and the rest of obaida.

You make a good point. I'm going to go. It's an opportunity I'm unlikely to get again, so I'd always be wondering what I missed if I skipped it. Thanks for helping me make up my mind. Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1