• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Tokyopop Manga [2005-09-30]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cubs2084

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:14 am Reply with quote
Kick ass, Someday's Dreamers was finally licensed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RedComet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Last Fantasy looks interesting and it's funny what it says beneath it. Cool
Mad_Triad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I got confused when I saw Gacha Gacha licensed by Tokyopop since Del Rey had licensed it but it appears it's a different manga from the one I was thinking of.

Hate to point it out but it says 'Gacchagacha' on the Tokyopop website and it seems to be Tokyopop has renamed it into 'Gotcha Gotcha' (see image).
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad that Someday's Dreamers was licensed. I just adored the TV series.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote
dang, I was hoping there was going to be confirmation of the rumor Tokyopop had licensed +Anima. looks like the rumor was probably wrong Sad
silverwings

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Gotcha Gotcha looks interesting. Loved the play on words for Last Fantasy (intentional?). And is it just me or does Battle Club seem like a rip-off of Tenjo Tenge(sp)?
Agent Wax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And is it just me or does Battle Club seem like a rip-off of Tenjo Tenge(sp)?

BC is nothing like TT. Wait, actually, it is. A little. WTF would Tokyopop license this crap? Really, BC is absolute crap. It is at least 10 times worse than Ikkitousen, which is at least a decent read. There is no story. At all. Just unimaginative wrestling and copious nudity.

US manga publishers keep moaning about market saturation. If they're really so concerned about it, they'd stop licensing garbage.
Izlude

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:20 am Reply with quote
Tokyopop needs to quit grabbing so many no-name titles and focus on some quality ones. I think Shunan Junai Gumi was the last TP accquistion I was excited about.

But ya know the deal, fanservice sells, thus why Tokyopop and ADV continue to grab "those" kind of titles up. I'm all for underdog titles, but titles that are just so un-imaginative and been there, done that like Battle Club? C'mon. Tenjou Tenge and Ikkitousen are both good enough, along with Real Bout High School. We don't need another clone high school brawler with hot babes.

I'm not buying CMX's Tenjou Tenge, I bought Tokyopop's Real Bout and Ikkitousen/Battle Vixens, but I ain't gonna buy this, unless the artwork is extremely hot, I mean...good and its really short. Otherwise, forget about it.

Quote:
US manga publishers keep moaning about market saturation. If they're really so concerned about it, they'd stop licensing garbage.

So far, the only person in the publishing biz in the US that has moaned and complained so much about over saturation is Torren Smith. I don't think I've ever seen the other publishers take a stand out there on it. Some of them may dwindle the number of titles they release every month, but it still doesnt help they are licensing stuff that nobody is gonna buy.
Annie_Jr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:15 am Reply with quote
Well Someday's Dreamers caught my interest. It's about time they picked up the manga. The other ones I've never heard of Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1