• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AOL Launches Anime Radio

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Hey, that sounds pretty cool. If I could listen to it at work, it'd be even cooler. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Montusama

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
listening to it right now.....it's "pretty" good for aohell....
SpikesGrrl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:51 pm Reply with quote
the only problem is they play music from the same anime shows say like Full Metal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop and Gundam Seed ect.. but other then that its pretty good Smile

Mary
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Limited playlist, and doesn't work with Mac or Linux. I don't think so. Waaayyyy better stuff out there already.
Jin_otakon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Holy mackerel........I don't have AOL anymore. FINALLY they decided to add Anime Radio. Omg....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Jin_otakon wrote:
Holy mackerel........I don't have AOL anymore. FINALLY they decided to add Anime Radio. Omg....
As for as I can tell (I took a quick look around.) and you don't need AOL to use AOL music. Maybe AIM or AOL Mail account, but it popped up and started play.

Addition: Looks like it'll start, atleast try to, on my computer. Yet another reason why I shouldn't have got DirecWay. But the only reason why you need to log on is to change settings and what not.

Last edited by Ataru on Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
Jin_otakon wrote:
As for as I can tell (I took a quick look around.) and you don't need AOL to use AOL music. Maybe AIM or AOL Mail account, but it poped up and started play.

I think you DO need AOL. I have an AIM account, but that don't mean crap. It told me my system doesn't meet the requirements and that you need a Windows system.

No big deal, though. It looks like they're just playing themes from already-hyped anime like FMA and Bebop that everybody's heard over and over. I can hear it now - Ready Steady GO!, Tank, and a bunch of English DBZ themes. Laughing And they probably play commercial that have some douchebag who knows nothing about anime saying "Hey, kids! It's Anime Radio! Whee! Pokemon time!" Confused

My iTunes MP3 library is better, plus I don't even need to be on the internet to listen.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Wow. Limited playlist, and doesn't work with Mac or Linux. I don't think so. Waaayyyy better stuff out there already.

Seeing as I probably wont ever invest in anything that starts with an "i"; it's not too bad. Yeah there's better stuff out there, but a limited playlist it is not; I've just started it up and haven't heard one "popular" song in at least 7 tracks.

EDIT: Alright, 15-20 tracks in; and finally a popular song:

Shinjitsu No Uta from Inuyasha

Last edited by Ranma824 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:

I think you DO need AOL. I have an AIM account, but that don't mean crap. It told me my system doesn't meet the requirements and that you need a Windows system.
Unless I better hacker then I know about, you can get in, listen, without paying the whatever they charge people a month. Besides...
Press Release wrote:
AOL Radio’s Anime Radio station is available 24/7 for fans, free on the web at AOL.com and www.aolmusic.com.
But since you use a Mac, how would you know? Yeah, all that newwer anime theme songs are nice and all, once and awhile, I do like to get "old school"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Isaaru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
yeah for aol anime radio!

they also have a videogamescores station thats worth listening too Very Happy

and unlike so many other inet stations i haven't found any spyware when listening
Jabberwock

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quote
You do NOT need an AOL account, aka: it is free. I just logged in using my AIM information. As for the songs, I haven't heard the same song twice in over two hours and quite a varied array of songs. I for one hate AOL, but hey, nice job here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Meh. Winamp's got ton of anime radio, there's Live365 with several there, too.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Gee, no Mac support. They can bite me. I can listen to Japan-a-Radio on iTunes and it's just as free.

(Seriously, what's with the platform-specific-ness? A simple MP3 stream works with everything.)

------RM
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
But since you use a Mac, how would you know? Yeah, all that newwer anime theme songs are nice and all, once and awhile, I do like to get "old school"

Yeah, um, take back that crack about Macs, buddy.

And, FYI, I have a shitload of old school themes. Just because I download MP3s doesn't mean I only go for that new, crisp sounding Gundam SEED music with it's minute-long cymbal leadins. Confused

LordRobin wrote:
(Seriously, what's with the platform-specific-ness? A simple MP3 stream works with everything.)

And the people at AOL wonder why everyone hates their product. Rolling Eyes

And, yes, Japan-a-Radio RAWKS. Cool
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:

Yeah, um, take back that crack about Macs, buddy.
OS X looks cool. Razz Nah, my next computer is going to be an Mac.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2