• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Samurai Pizza Cats/Cats Toninden Teyande

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
First Shout! Factory announces Power Rangers on DVD, then Discotek announces Casshan and now this?

March is now my favorite month of the year and i'll be looking forward to all this greatness. Cool

Haven't watched the dub since it's TV run on WB but i remember liking it so i'll gladly buy both sub & dub releases.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I'll be surprised if the subtitled version sells a quarter of what the dub does.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I never though that this show would even get licensed at all for physical media release. That being said I will have to buy both sets for completest sake.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Zac is running and jumping around his apartment right now.

He talks about it so much that I think I'm gonna have to grab the dubbed version since I never saw it on TV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
This is a humorous show. Glad to hear it's licensed.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, neat! I've only ever watched the intro on youtube before, but I've been curious. But having never seen it should I go sub or dub?

What with all these companies licensing older stuff, I'm going to have to prepare to throw my money at them. I love older series and it's like there's suddenly a revival starting by getting popular "by fan demand" sort of stuff like this and Lupin. Lately, I haven't wanted a single newer show on DVD yet I picked up Tekkaman Blade recently and want to get stuff like Ghost Sweeper Mikami, Nadesico, and Dirty Pair so yeah, this is great for me! It almost feels like someone cares and wants my money!
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
I'll be surprised if the subtitled version sells a quarter of what the dub does.

Yeah, to be honest, I'm surprised they're even bothering.

Either way, it's great that the option will be there all the same. It'd be cool if there's some extra features on the dub production, but I'm not gonna be picky, finally having access to the show again at all will be fantastic.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
"Will someone please cue that bird?!"

Also, why not bundle the subs and dubs together? As a comparison?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I wonder if Zac is running and jumping around his apartment right now.

He talks about it so much that I think I'm gonna have to grab the dubbed version since I never saw it on TV.

my thoughts as well.. actually that's what I was doing until i calmed down...so much nostalgia.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Delighted to hear this news. Never would have thought, but so very glad its happening.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I just did a literal goddamned double take! If I'd had tea in my mouth, I'd need a new keyboard, which would be fine since I'm using one that used to belong to my weird Aunt that still smells faintly of cheap cigarettes.

I never thought this series would be released.

I loved Samurai Pizza Cats when I was younger. I remember eagerly turning our old Zenith television on at some time in the middle of the afternoon every weekday. It appealed a lot to the mind of a child that had already been warped by early exposure to Monty Python's Flying Circus and Mystery Science Theater 3000. It can't be as funny to me now as it was back then, but nostalgic glee should carry it through some of where quality fails.

Between this, giving me back Galaxy Express 999 and the sundry older OVAs that they're licensing, DiscoTek might just be my favorite licensing company these days. I want to invent a time machine, travel to the future where complete sex changes have been developed, become a woman, come back to our time and have their babies in my new cyborg womb!

Sunday Silence wrote:
"Will someone please cue that bird?!"

Also, why not bundle the subs and dubs together? As a comparison?

Oh, it's been ages since I saw the opening. A drunken Paul Lynde impersonation. Perfect. Really, just perfect.

Perhaps there's a legal or technical reason for separate sets, but I can't even guess what. I also really doubt that very many people will buy the subtitled edition. It's a curio of note, but I don't really care. I would like to be able to compare them directly. I believe that the writers for Samurai Pizza Cats just made new dialogue and stories up without referencing the original scripts, so watching the English dub with the subtitles could make for a pretty awesomely surreal experience.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
.....I am so shocked I can't find the words needed for this. I LOVED this show back in the day, and if the dub is retained, I might buy two sets. Discotek is becoming a big fave of mine, if they keep up with these awesome selections!
The Tentacle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
52 episodes total for the dubbed release and 54 for the subtitled edition

Did anyone else catch this? Why is the dubbed release missing two episodes?

EDIT: Nevermind. Wikipedia knows all:

Quote:
Of the 54 episodes that were originally produced in Japan, 52 were translated into English. The two untranslated episodes were clip shows that did little to further the series' plot. A few episodes got banned in America due to censorship. 40 episodes were shown in America.

Last edited by The Tentacle on Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Space Butler XIII

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to go out on a limb that people will want to buy the subtitled set for the two extra episodes, and will be severely disappointed if/when they find out they can't afford both sets. They'll buy one and download the other.

What I think they should do is make a point of including the two dubless episodes with the dubbed set. If they did that, I think it would be fair to speculate that some percentage of those fans would grow to like the original Japanese audio enough to eventually buy the subbed set. This is all assuming that there's a good reason for the separate sets.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I remember waking up at like six in the morning just to catch this before I had to get ready for school. odd release structure though. Nostalgia wants me to buy the dub, Shaft being the studio behind paniponi dash makes me want to see what they were up to way back then, and my wallet guarantees that I won't grab both.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7