• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Inu X Boku Secret Service Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
Inu x Boku SS is one of those shows that I like, but I cannot explain why.

Personally I think that the main flaw of this series is Miketsukami. If they took the romance aspect out of the series and removed Miketsukami, I think they could have a pretty good comedy on their hands - with characters like Zange and Kagerou around, it could easily work (especially with Zange). Heck, even the incredibly random as hell other workers at the apartment complex are crying for more attention. The series does have its silly charm, such as the ending theme for the episode where Kagerou was introduced, where all the staff credits beyond a certain point were labelled as being an "S" or an "M". However, it really needs to exploit that silly charm more.

In fact...Watanuki and Karuta's supposed romantic subplot is better than Ririchiyo and Miketsukami's >>. Have the show revolve around those two and Zange and it'd be so much better.

In regards to Ririchiyo's apparent sex appeal, due to her age, it is an off-putter to me that they are trying to portray her as such. Rather than finding her attractive in a sex-icon way, I find her adorable in a more cute way (so for example, with wearing a larger shirt, I guess with me it'd fall into a "awww, she's wearing daddy's shirt!" type box rather than "she's wearing her man's shirt").
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
Its probably because the show is freaking adorable. It doesn't try to conflict your emotions too much to form a dissenting opinion about it.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
I'm only watching this show for Ririchiyo and Karuta. They're both so cute. I obviously have no problem with the sex appeal they are adding. DFC doesn't get enough fanservice in anime.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
In regards to Ririchiyo's apparent sex appeal, due to her age, it is an off-putter to me that they are trying to portray her as such. Rather than finding her attractive in a sex-icon way, I find her adorable in a more cute way (so for example, with wearing a larger shirt, I guess with me it'd fall into a "awww, she's wearing daddy's shirt!" type box rather than "she's wearing her man's shirt").
She is absolutely adorable - no reason she can't be sexy at the same time. Although, come to think of it, I appreciate her sexiness on a more intellectual level - I know it's there, but it's the HNNNGGGG! that gets me.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:
She is absolutely adorable - no reason she can't be sexy at the same time. Although, come to think of it, I appreciate her sexiness on a more intellectual level - I know it's there, but it's the HNNNGGGG! that gets me.

There is the HNNNGGGG deep down in me, but logically, I'd like it if she were aged by about another 2 or 3 years xD
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first episode of this and I have to say, it didn't seem so bad. It has two extremely hot leads (rare that both men AND women get to be hot in the same anime) and it seems like an interesting little diversion that also has depth.

I think I'll see some more episodes later.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I'm only watching this show for Ririchiyo and Karuta. They're both so cute. I obviously have no problem with the sex appeal they are adding. DFC doesn't get enough fanservice in anime.

Same here. I really could care less for Miketsukami. The rest of the show is really cute and very slice of life for our band of half-human/demon misfits.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Lack of love for the incredibly sexy Miketsukami (seriously, he's the reason I watched the first episode, though Ririchiyo ultimately kept me interested more) is disheartening but not surprising given how 90% of anime fandom are straight men.

Guess the whole thing about Otaku not wanting "competition" for female characters was true.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Anyone but me noticing the slightly darker, obsessive and disturbing undertones in Miketsukami's character? Those things are what makes his character, and the growing relationship with Ririchio more interesting. Plus the little hints that spoiler[Miketsukami may have been working in the sex trade before he became a bodyguard], make me a little more curious what might be going on under the surface.

I hope the series gets to explore these things a bit more, though I fear that the thirteen episodes we get will basically be an ad for the manga. Sad

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with Carl's review.

The Ririchio fanservice is refreshingly understated and sexy, unlike most of the peeping-tom stuff you get in other anime.
loka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
It took me a while to get into Inu X Boku SS, and I'm now happy I stuck with it. This show is definitely watchable.

At first I was disappointed in the grade given. Then I remembered that Fate/Zero was given the same. They can't all be A-grade material like Supernatural the Anime Rolling Eyes
mad mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lack of love for the incredibly sexy Miketsukami (seriously, he's the reason I watched the first episode, though Ririchiyo ultimately kept me interested more) is disheartening but not surprising given how 90% of anime fandom are straight men.

Guess the whole thing about Otaku not wanting "competition" for female characters was true.

Nah, he's just boring. There's some hints of "not completely boring" in his background but I've lost hope of them ever being explored. And I'm saying this as someone who pretty much refuses to watch these kinds of shows with "generic milquetoast harem leads".

If the male character is hopeless, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the show. If nothing else, you can't have a romance where one of the partners is a cardboard cutout.

Mind you I stopped watching this show on episode 7 or so for all the reasons stated in the review. This one had promise and I wanted to like it but it just spent every episode squandering every bit of goodwill I had until I lost interest entirely.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You want to like Inu x Boku. Romantic comedies aimed at anyone other than hormone-addled teen guys are fairly rare after all. And it is a pleasant little confection all told. Unfortunately it's never anything more. It's an insubstantial wisp of a show, a lightly atmospheric diversion that gives you nothing to hold onto, no matter where you try to grab on

Carl's review only covers to the end of eppie 6, but sadly, the bolded statement is still true at the end of eppie 9. If anything, the damn show is becoming even wispy-ier. We recently had two episodes - count 'em, two - where the big dramatic meat was watching Ririchiyo work up the nerve to spoiler[invite Miketsukami to her place for some coffee and wild sex. Okay, I made the wild sex thing up, but the coffee part is all too true.]

I will watch this to the end because it has some adorable moments and I do like the characters, but I can't imagine ever needing to watch it again.

One aspect of the Ririchiyo-Miketsukami relationship that Carl doesn't touch upon, but it's there right from the start, is that Miketsukami's "servility" has a decidedly manipulative edge to it. More than once, Ririchiyo has found herself agreeing to something she's really not onboard with under the pressure of Mikessukami's sly grovelling. Cracks me up every time.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
The review is good but only covers up to episode 6. With the recent episode, I would say the story would be a C- in my book.

The very first episode that debuted in January had alot of potential imo and could of picked it up from there. But, it just kinda dropped the ball now although I will finish this series as it aired 3/4 already. In other words, this anime art, music, and characters are what keeps me from watching atm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
otakubaybay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I agree with pretty much everything said in this review. Inu x Boku SS is just... okay. It actually had a lot of potential in the beginning, but the slow speed at which anything in the plot was moving makes it boring. Though the animation and music (love the ending songs!) are nice, it still felt like character introduction mode seven episodes in.

The only things that I think I'm attached to are Zange, the romance between Karuta and Watanuki (and his total fail at being a delinquent), and maaaybe Sorinozuka. Ririchiyo is cute, but nothing is happening with her when it's supposed to be and Miketsukami is just too bland. I don't think I can even call him a poor man's Sebastian Michaels. Yukinokouji flat-out irritates me and Shoukiin is nearly in the same boat (he gets points for being mildly amusing and dat seiyuu). I feel the need to mention that I had to look up half of these character's names because I didn't remember them.

There are a lot of dark things in this series that could have been touched upon and offer up some real substance, but they simply didn't. I'm sad to say that I was relieved to find out that it's only 12 episodes because I'm not sure I could sit through a full 24.

Ryu Shoji wrote:
In fact...Watanuki and Karuta's supposed romantic subplot is better than Ririchiyo and Miketsukami's >>. Have the show revolve around those two and Zange and it'd be so much better.

THIS.
shukero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
This show had a lot of promise when I started watching it; although it had great art & design, the story was somewhat awkward in my eyes when it started. I thought that the story would rustle out the feathers but as the episodes went on, I found myself less and less interested in the characters and in the stories. It also seemed to get more and more episodic as the series went on, and the romance between the 2 main characters is also mediocre at best.

In the end I could only handle about 7 episodes of this series at best.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2