• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Talks About Outsourcing

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Toei Animation has said that, due to growing global demand for Japanese animation, they are considering increasing their outsourcing of animation to the Phillipines.

This must be a lie. If it truly was the main reason Toei would easily be able to hire plenty of willing animators in Japan. The main reason they outsource jobs is because the pay rate in Philippines is lower in Japan.

This is a bad sign for the industry.

Last edited by Proman on Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:17 pm Reply with quote
The last I've seen of Filipino animation was the 1992 version of X-Men and Hanna Barbera cartoons before 1994.

Hmmm...maybe the quality will be better than some lower levelled (read: filler animation producing) Korean studios.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
MugenKeiji wrote:
The last I've seen of Filipino animation was the 1992 version of X-Men and Hanna Barbera cartoons before 1994.

I take it you haven't seen Titan A.E. (2000). Majority of the movie was animated in the Philippines (NOT "Phillipines," Proman).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
emory

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:13 am Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
Quote:
Toei Animation has said that, due to growing global demand for Japanese animation, they are considering increasing their outsourcing of animation to the Phillipines.

This must be a lie. If it truly was the main reason Toei would easily be able to hire plenty of willing animators in Japan. The main reason they outsource jobs is because the pay rate in Phillipines is lower in Japan.

Then it's not a lie. Toei wants to put out more products at a smaller cost, thus the reason they want to increase their outsourcing.
Proman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
Proman wrote:
Quote:

This must be a lie. If it truly was the main reason Toei would easily be able to hire plenty of willing animators in Japan. The main reason they outsource jobs is because the pay rate in Phillipines is lower in Japan.

Then it's not a lie. Toei wants to put out more products at a smaller cost, thus the reason they want to increase their outsourcing.

That's not the point I was trying to make. There's no mention of saving costs in that sentence, instead it is constructed to sound like Japan is physically unable to keep up with the demands for new animation.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
MugenKeiji wrote:

I take it you haven't seen Titan A.E. (2000). Majority of the movie was animated in the Philippines (NOT "Phillipines," Proman).

I heard Finding Nemo also had some Filipino animators.
ravager

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:57 am Reply with quote
That's true. The Filipino animators both in Finding Nemo and The Incredibles are Nelson Bohol and Gini Cruz.
Yuri_Shibuya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:36 am Reply with quote
I've only got one question, do we always have to depend on Japanese animators?

I think, Toei will stop outsourcing if the animators outside Japan are not that really good. But did they stopped, Noooo! actually, its a good sign that Japanese also believe to the capabilities of these animators. Its still expensive to produce an animation although animators are paid in a smaller amount. Japan still support these animators with their super duper high-tech animation stuffs. I actually visited a Toei booth in one of the conventions in the Philippines and saw some animators and I've also got a chance to talk to one of them. I really feel pity to them, they looked so stressed out.
Trin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
emory wrote:
Proman wrote:
Quote:

That's not the point I was trying to make. There's no mention of saving costs in that sentence, instead it is constructed to sound like Japan is physically unable to keep up with the demands for new animation.

Outsourcing means using an outside supplier to lower costs. Saving costs is implied when you talk about outsourcing. And yeah, it's probably because of cheaper labor in the Philippines. It's not a lie, just carefully said. You can read it as an implied fact that due to high demand, they have decided to cut costs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1