• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Listen to Me, Girls, I'm Your Father! Episodes 1-7 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Nothing to say about the awful 3D zombies that seem to inhabit school grounds and shopping areas in the series? After watching all the episodes that have streamed so far, I still don't think that Sako has any redeemable qualities...

The series isn't bad, but I don't think that I'll be importing it. Maybe if ADV puts it out on BD I'll get that version...
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
On the fanservice, I get the feeling that this show wants to be ecchi, but doesn't really have it in it.
Ingraman wrote:
Nothing to say about the awful 3D zombies that seem to inhabit school grounds and shopping areas in the series?
I personally don't really notice them and didn't see it at all until I saw it mentioned. They're not really that bad, but they easily could be better.
Quote:
After watching all the episodes that have streamed so far, I still don't think that Sako has any redeemable qualities...
He's comedic relief. He fills that role pretty well.
Quote:
The series isn't bad, but I don't think that I'll be importing it. Maybe if ADV puts it out on BD I'll get that version...
I've already decided to buy Sentai's DVD, though a BD would be a welcome improvement(even if they are annoying to play on Linux).
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
well give i'm been watching really one of shows to watch really give i'm all in asking for let it be dub as well.

give one ugh is that kouta-lookalike good grief wonder who ever came up with that characters really we should run them out of town.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:07 am Reply with quote
I would agree with 95% of what this review says. I wouldn't call it formulaic though really. I actually do like both of his (actual) friends. I don't like the club president. however I did laugh every time he heard one of the girls voices and then drew there (what I assume was there) concept art perfectly. I also enjoy seeing him get hit repeatedly by his friends. I guess my feelings on him is that he does get a laugh out of me but he needs to be kept on a very short leash.

This series is defiantly a winner of the "my little sister can't be this cute award" though this show doesn't make me think it will blow up on me, everytime I see a next episode preview, and can actually handle drama. this series is also not as good as oreimo. it is a surprisingly well done series, but make no mistake this show is not bunny drop (anime) level, nor is it a show that is just cute girls doing cute things. it actually has some things to say and it is going to say them very sweetly. I defiantly like the opening and to a certain extent the ending as well more then I should. I think bamboo said it best when she said this series was 60% sweet 30% drama and 10% creepy though I personally am oblivious to the creepy parts, or can laugh them off.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:08 am Reply with quote
While I normally do not agree with the reviews that Carlos does this once I agree with mostly. I have no issue with Yuta walking in on Sora I still enjoy seeing it every time this happens. This show is quickly turning into a favorite show of mine. I'm not crazy about the CG as it looks really dated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:16 am Reply with quote
I dropped the series after episode 3, in large part due to the character designs. They're akin to the horrid reminder of what happened to Aria in the second season.

I also didn't appreciate the reverse-Full House affect going on, where fun under the sun was the series primary delivery, only to wrap it up with "here's a kick to your gut, son. Learn from it" dialogue, artificially bolstered with Hina's tearing-up while asking "Where's mommy and daddy?".

The only thing missing from this series was Hina saying "How rude" every three seconds.

Heck, the series even has Kimmy nicely packaged as a pseudo-pedophile.

I'm going back to Yuru Yuri now.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:11 am Reply with quote
I have been surprisingly pleased by this show. The club president is a bit too over the top, but I appreciate the fact that none of his fellow college students or the girls accept his behavior as appropriate. He is comic relief, but I generally am more relieved by episodes where he doesn't show up.

My favorite character in the show, by far, is Raika! She is an amazingly well written character! At first she comes off as a standard "unattainable beauty" character, but then her quirks start appearing. Then, in recent episodes, she really shines! She and the other 'real friend' college character really are great! (The voice actress next door is pretty fun too!)
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:

So you're going back to a worse show?
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:13 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

Sales figures disagree with you.
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

Not that sales figures have anything to do with it.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

Going by sales figures, the Bayformers movies are utterly amazing masterpieces of storytelling. At least, that's what your logic is saying.

Sales don't mean shit, YY still is a terrible show.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
Hmm interesting review...

I definitely agree that the overall theme and drama goes far beyond simple fanservice and cliche we see in common in some animes although they are still present as Carol mentioned (episode 1 *hint hint*)

The set of of the romantic comedy mixed with family drama is something to think about especially after the events of episode 2. Anyways, a nice good review and I will be finishing this series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Nope. I'm going to a better show.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I also didn't appreciate the reverse-Full House affect going on, where fun under the sun was the series primary delivery, only to wrap it up with "here's a kick to your gut, son. Learn from it" dialogue, artificially bolstered with Hina's tearing-up while asking "Where's mommy and daddy?".

"Fun under the sun" isn't the series' main mode of delivery, as it has at least as much serious content. It also gets progressively better as it delves into all of the issues surrounding their circumstances. The arrangement is definitely not without all kinds of non-comical, non-fan service complications.

Considering that Carlo is only reviewing the first seven episodes, I generally agree with his assessment. I'd up this to a B overall with episodes 8-10 (especially 9 and 10) figured in, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I went into this show expecting typical creepy lolicon comedy, but to my surprise, it's one of the only shows of this anime season that I'm still watching every week. It's family component far outweighs the occasionally face-palm inducing fan service, and the characters all feel very real and fresh. An excellent surprise of a show, one that gets a B+ from me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2