• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Pretty Face

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
Classic. Loved this one for years. Bought them as soon as they were released. Still got'em.
White Lightning Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
Kind of off-topic, but after reading the article on the manga you enjoyed editing the most, I have to thank you once again for treating Yu-Gi-Oh! with the kind of respect that it never gets. Not from the anime/manga community, not from the guys that did the English versions of all the other bits of the franchise, and these days, not even the Japanese holders. It's one of my favorite series and the reason I love manga so much, but all I ever hear from people is how it's a dumb trading card ad...
Anime_Otaku35

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
I own all of these and boy, they are hilarious.

spoiler[It's been awhile since I read them, but I have to say my favorite scene is where one of the girls knits a scarf with hearts on it for her boyfriend and Rando borrows it to fix it after he tore it up. Only to fall asleep while knitting and have the bottom heart look like something from the male anatomy. The girl never checks it and gives it to her boyfriend. Hilarious!]
Hi-Chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
Bought this series as soon as viz released it and enjoyed the purchase greatly.It really is a hidden gem.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote
This sounds like fun. Off to add it to the wishlists!

*looks up Vol. 4*

*sees the prices it goes for used*

....craaaaap.
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
Oh, Pretty Face, what a fun series. I love how perverted it is, but in a funny way, not really a disgusting or depressing way. The dirty jokes aren't anything new, and they aren't presented in a crazy new light or anything, but the life in the art and the… hm… spirit and style of the storytelling make it really amusing and enjoyable.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
Jason Thompson wrote:
Now that all six volumes are translated, why not buy some copies from the Viz website as gifts for the ones you love?

Probably because it's not there. At least I couldn't find it by searching or browsing their store. Not that it matters, I already own it all anyways. And now I'm kinda thinking I need to go back and reread the omake in volume 6 just so I can refresh my memory of what the alternate endings were. I do remember that the actual ending wasn't all that satisfying, but after all these years it's just not quite clicking as to what happened and so forth. I am glad for this column though, since it does help jog the memories of series that I enjoyed.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
What seems to suck the most is this guy cannot stay on a mag long enough to finish a freaking series. Both this and MxO had to be cut short. Would've been nice if he could jump ship like Rosario to keep going.
LibraryJoy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
Yep - it looks like the series is out of print. A few of the volumes are still selling new on Amazon, but v. 4 is really pricey.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Volumes 1-2 and 6 are still available on RightStuf for cheap ($5.99 each), but ouch, that does hurt my plans to get this series.

It looked amusing to me from the get go, and it's been on my list to check out for quite a while now. This review makes me all the more interested, but it looks like nabbing it might be a bit tough now.

A question for Jason himself (though I'm not sure if he checks the replies here or not) - I remember the Video Girl Ai review from a long while back, and seeing your comment about enjoying 'perverted' manga, I was wondering if you had read I"s at all and if there was any chance of it ever being covered here? I'd love to see your thoughts on it eventually if so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Jason Thompson wrote:
Now that all six volumes are translated, why not buy some copies from the Viz website as gifts for the ones you love?

Volume four of Pretty Face was the first present my boyfriend ever gave me

Cool
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He's even hotter than Andrej Pejic!

So... confused. That's...? Wow?! I think.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
*Looks at price of volume 4*

That's not bad. It's only 3x the original price for a used version.

You want bad? Try this. Or this.

Then again I'm probably not the best judge of these things considering I spent $100 total for those two volumes above before they got really, REALLY pricey (one of them being an old library book Anime hyper). So my "unacceptable line" is probably higher than most.

I'm not particularly interested in this series so I'm safe from purchasing. Though I am curious as to how it ends.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote
willag, that's true. Hell, it's not even that far off from the $25 I paid for volume 5 of the Utena manga (and that onto itself was a bargain, considering I usually see it going for between $50 - 100), the most I've paid for a single volume of manga. Personally, though, I don't like to pay more than twice the retail value for a single volume of manga if I can absolutely help it.
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Classic. Loved this one for years. Bought them as soon as they were released. Still got'em.

Same here! It's the only manga that had me constantly laughing out loud.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3