• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Christian Group Makes Manga to Curb Post-Quake Suicides

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested especially the part of the storyline. I've watched Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 recently and thought that was that was great so I hope this will be as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Jesus Film Project, a CCC ministry originally based on the movie of the same name, described the manga as "actually higher quality art than the mainstream secular manga."

Even Japanese Christians are elitist...
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
i don't think people realize just how bad things are for many in the area. This has plenty to do with the Japanese cultural ideal of suffering in silence and placing the blame for failure all on your own shoulders. It is truly a shame.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Jesus Film Project, a CCC ministry originally based on the movie of the same name, described the manga as "actually higher quality art than the mainstream secular manga."
That's pretty laughable. Aside from the fact that this is in full color, the art just looks like your average "manga-style" wannabe comic.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
Quote:

That's pretty laughable. Aside from the fact that this is in full color, the art just looks like your average "manga-style" wannabe comic.

The cover isn't exactly the most professional looking, a bit amateurish.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
well, I'm with them on the message in this one
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I almost misread the title for the article as something else but meh, it's decent to see that they're making a manga to try and steer people away from suicide but they don't have to fluff their ego's with that statement about the art style. and if anyone asks I thought the article was something about christian group protest to the sale of anime and manga in the US but my brain jumped the gun so please don't burn me too badly
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if we'll be seeing a House of 1,000 Manga article about this.

No, probably not.

Ah, at least it's better than some other Christian sequential art.

Their hearts are in the right place, but I somehow doubt that this can be any less, well, lame than works with such singleminded purposes. For good or for bad, an anvil is an anvil. Well, here's hoping that some of the people who read this are less cynical than I am.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
This is great news, glad to see some good hearted people are trying to keep spirits up in Japan. Kudos to them, I hope they make a difference. I'll pray for them.
wooden

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is really wondeful, I like this, too
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, the idea is pretty exciting to me, and I hope that it reaches the people who need it. Im pretty sure Im correct in saying that Christian anything is pretty rare in Japan.

Buut Im in agreement about that statement they made about the art...that's really not very professional at all.

But hopefully it does well.
Magna_Lilly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I found a screenshot of some the manga's panels... not much better than the cover.

Putting aside their confidence in the art quality, it makes me happy to see them doing something like this. Japan has one of the world's highest suicide rates, I can't imagine what survivors must be feeling, especially if they already struggled with that kind of thing beforehand. Anything to give people a little hope is great.
Ian K

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
@Chagen46:

Yeah, those Christians, they sure are all the same aren't they? Almost as bad as them Mooslims always blowing up airplanes and those atheists who are trying to destroy morality so they can have sex all the time.

In all seriousness, I think the quote about art quality was supposed to be about the release quality (paper, binding, number of color pages, etc) and was fumbled by a spokesperson who didn't know what they were talking about. In any case, it doesn't appear to have come from anyone actually working on the project.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
I thought Christians hated anime and manga?
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
Magna_Lilly wrote:
I found a screenshot of some the manga's panels... not much better than the cover.

Putting aside their confidence in the art quality, it makes me happy to see them doing something like this. Japan has one of the world's highest suicide rates, I can't imagine what survivors must be feeling, especially if they already struggled with that kind of thing beforehand. Anything to give people a little hope is great.

It looks like they have the entire 60+ page .pdf file right here, which was linked to in the news article. Not all too surprising for the whole thing to be online, considering that, you know, they'd like it to reach as many people as possible.

http://www.jesusfilm.org/manga/RiskRide.pdf

Honestly, the front cover doesn't give a good impression, as the main character is definitely not some young shonen action boy. (Considering what's shown of him in the manga, he's definitely somewhere in his twenties.) Definitely should've used some other shot. Still, the art overall is fine; the backgrounds are nice, and the characters look reasonably adult. It's probably not a fair thing to directly compare the stylings so strictly to much of what else we see out of Japan nowadays, because this has a scope that far out-reaches otaku, and thus the art style isn't trying to pander to or essentially crowd-source to otaku tastes (although there is definitely some real consideration for the audience taken here, considering that this is a manga in the first place.)

Quote:
I thought Christians hated anime and manga?

Not sure if serious.jpg

/Been raised in an Evangelical Presbyterian Church all my life; been an anime enthusiast for the past ten years of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3