• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Berserk Golden Age Arc II Film's Trailer Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Looks cool...except for the CGI of course.

Just hoping now for a US release.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Hoping for a N.A. release, too. It's looking really good.
keikanna44

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Hell yes! I can't wait! Please get licensed soon! Laughing
Toriko36

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I really don't know why everyone is hating on the CGI. If you are a fan of Kentaro Miura and Berserk, shouldn't you be happy that there is a new Anime of Berserk after nearly 15 years after the TV series.

I'm all for it. I would of imported the Japanese Blu Ray if it had English subtitles, but now I will have to wait (probably a very long time) for a North American distributor to pick up the rights and release a blu ray.
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Judging from this trailer, they're covering basically the entire story arc from the TV anime in 2 movies. Just what the heck is the 3rd movie going to be? An hour and a half of demon rape?

Personally I can't stand the main story of Berserk, but I love this arc. So I'm glad that they just remade the same story again because it was a really good story.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
Judging from this trailer, they're covering basically the entire story arc from the TV anime in 2 movies. Just what the heck is the 3rd movie going to be? An hour and a half of demon rape?

Personally I can't stand the main story of Berserk, but I love this arc. So I'm glad that they just remade the same story again because it was a really good story.

They might be splitting time between Golden Age and Black Swordsman. Otherwise, the third movie is going to have to drag considering what was in the trailer.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the first movie yet, so I don't know how much material is being cut, and what type of stuff they're keeping and what they're discarding, but...

The TV series started cutting significant amounts of material between the last moment we see in the trailer and the end of the series. If the second movie ends with spoiler[Griffith's capture and the start of his torture], then the third movie could showcase spoiler[more of Guts' travels, including his meeting with Skull Knight, and the tournament where he meets Silat; Silat's attack on the Band; the last shining moments of the core Band members when they fight the Bakiraka during their escape with Griffith (this was probably the most sorely missed segment from the anime, IMO); Wyald... (I imagine this'll be the first true test of how they plan on depicting everything after the eclipse, and this alone will take a substantial amount of time); then the full Eclipse, Rickert meeting Puck, SK's rescue... Then even the early days of Guts adjusting to the catastrophe, receiving the cannon arm and the Dragon Slayer, leaving Casca behind, and then maybe the Black Swordsman stuff from the first 3 volumes like Greed alluded to.] The spoiler[eclipse] ends at volume 13, and everything I mentioned occurs within the first 14 volumes, and obviously none of it was depicted in the TV series. So there's a ton of material that would fall into this time period.

If the 4th movie didn't start at Black Swordsman (if they're even going to bother with all of it), then the Lost Children arc or the more important Retribution bits are good starting points.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:
I really don't know why everyone is hating on the CGI. If you are a fan of Kentaro Miura and Berserk, shouldn't you be happy that there is a new Anime of Berserk after nearly 15 years after the TV series.

I'm all for it. I would of imported the Japanese Blu Ray if it had English subtitles, but now I will have to wait (probably a very long time) for a North American distributor to pick up the rights and release a blu ray.

Being fans of Berserk doesn't mean we can't criticized it. The CGI does look bad at some parts. One thing I didn't like in that trailer is that the slashes had no weight to them, it looks like Guts is cutting paper.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:42 am Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Toriko36 wrote:

Being fans of Berserk doesn't mean we can't criticized it. The CGI does look bad at some parts. One thing I didn't like in that trailer is that the slashes had no weight to them, it looks like Guts is cutting paper.

that wasn't my concern, the horses fighting on horse back CGI looked meh, the rest is great but i just hope the don't use to much of it. A bone is only good as the meat on it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
myousefi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:24 am Reply with quote
The third movie will have new content. Never before animated scenes so no they don't need to drag it out.
chloes_fork

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:
I really don't know why everyone is hating on the CGI.

Possibly because it looks like 100% distilled essence of ass. I don't even consider myself especially picky about such things, but the big battle scenes are appallingly bad even in a little YouTube window. I shudder to think how they would look on the big screen, or even on my TV.

That's not to say I won't end up buying the films if they get released over here. I'm a HUGE Berserk fan, so there's no way I'd skip 'em, even if I spend half my time cringing at the visuals.
russ869

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
If the 4th movie didn't start at Black Swordsman (if they're even going to bother with all of it), then the Lost Children arc or the more important Retribution bits are good starting points.

What makes you think there's going to be a 4th movie? The Wikipedia article claims that more films are planned, but none of the ANN articles it cites mention anything besides these 3.

ZODDGUTS wrote:
One thing I didn't like in that trailer is that the slashes had no weight to them, it looks like Guts is cutting paper.

To be fair, there were times in the TV anime where I thought this too. My main complaint is that 1) it doesn't appear to look as good as several other CGI anime films being made these days 2) the CGI is constantly inter-cut with hand-drawn close-ups and reaction shots. It's pretty jarring. But I doubt it will take me out of the story or action scenes. Seems like it's mostly in the action scenes (although I saw some CGI ballroom scenes in this trailer).

myousefi wrote:
The third movie will have new content. Never before animated scenes so no they don't need to drag it out.

Um... your proof?
Ifrit30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:

myousefi wrote:

Um... your proof?

Uhmm... Skull Knight?
As it appears that the 2nd movie ends where Guts is leaving the band of the hawkes.
The CGI look quite better imao than the trailers from the first movie, but it still has some puppet feeling.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
What makes you think there's going to be a 4th movie? The Wikipedia article claims that more films are planned, but none of the ANN articles it cites mention anything besides these 3.

While I can't link you to a specific source (as I didn't bother to bookmark any of them), translations from the Japanese announcements indicated that the studio had hoped or had planned to adapt the entire manga, starting with the first three movies covering the Golden Age.

This is backed up by concept art and trailers of Puck, Skull Knight, spoiler[Black Swordsman] Guts, and Griffith in his spoiler[Millenium Falcon armor], IIRC.

russ869 wrote:
myousefi wrote:

Um... your proof?

Aside from the art/trailers mentioned above... common sense. The TV series knew it was ending and made no plans to depict anything that foreshadowed or segued into anything post-spoiler[eclipse]. Even discounting all the missing elements that I outlined in my previous post, many scenes were significantly shortened or omitted that didn't even fall into this foreshadowing criteria, and were cut simply to save time. With the possibility of continuing movies and with what the art/trailers already showcased, it's incredibly foolish to believe that this new movie project would inexplicably follow the TV series script rather than the original source material. A lot of that previously-cut source material was either very important or has become iconic to Berserk fans. What reason do we have to think that some significant portion of the material won't be included? Especially since the TV series never had a "proper ending" in the first place. I highly doubt that the movie would end in exactly the same place as the TV series... So even the simple concept of giving us a proper ending point is giving us newly-animated material.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:

They did say originally that it was their intention for this trilogy to be a starting point for an adaptation of the rest of the manga. That doesn't necessarily mean further movies have been green-lit but it at least seems to be the plan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2