• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yamato, Macross Director Noboru Ishiguro Passes Away

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopGunman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:00 am Reply with quote
That's just sad news. At least he left us with Megazone 23, such an amazing anime film, one of the few mecha at its very best. Would have liked to see his take on Gundam.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:02 am Reply with quote
Although it's verysad that he passed away, I can't help but feel a little uncomfortable with the misinformation.

Artland only did subcontracting for My-Hime (Sunrise) and Penguindrum (Brains Base). Sure, they may be more popular and well-known than other Artland-produced series like Demon King Daimao and Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, but I just thought I'd get it out while it was still fresh in my mind.
Ted_the_bear2001

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:15 am Reply with quote
I need to watch more of his stuff. He seemed to be such a pioneer of 80s anime, sad to see him go.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:36 am Reply with quote
I feel very lucky I got to meet him at Anime Expo just a few years ago - still have the Megazone 23 box set he signed displayed on top of a shelf.

He was great.
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:53 am Reply with quote
And this is how anime truly dies.

His genius will be missed.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:28 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I waited forever in line @ AX to get his autograph now. He was a very patient and dedicated guy, but also someone with an artistic sensibility. [He produced Mushishi.] Gonna miss you, guy.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:53 am Reply with quote
What tragic news.

Noboru Ishiguro directed so many memorable, classic anime. Most of them, especially Legend of Galactic Heroes and Do you Remember Love?, are must watch for any anime fan.

I have nothing but respect for him and his work.
May he rest in peace.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote
Seventy three isn't young, but it's six years younger than average for a Japanese male.

The man's list of credits is impressive. He had his hands in a remarkable number of iconic productions. Space Battleship Yamato, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, Megazone 23 and Legend of the Galactic Heroes almost isn't fair. That's a big share fo the bread and butter of early American fandom.

(He also evidently directed something called Heavy, which from the image in the encyclopedia entry I will presume was a fifty minute long, lovingly rendered slow-motion shot of one man punching another in the face so hard that his left eyeball pops out)

It was swell of him to go to the trouble of attend American conventions, such as he appeared with Kazuya Murata and Makoto Shinkai at what I imagine was a really interesting panel at Otakon 2011. I won't be surprised if Animazement holds some sort of memorial in lieu of his now impossible visit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
coral422

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:38 am Reply with quote
Woah, I just watched LOGH and the entirety of SDF Macross and I think those shows were phenomenal. Condolences to his family and friends.
Banjo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote
R.I.P. great loss for the anime world
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote
For those interested, we were fortunate enough to conduct two interviews with Mr. Ishiguro, a one-on-one sitdown in 2008 and a press conference at Otakon in 2009. Even between those two and the previously-linked Otakon 2011 panel, we still didn't get to ask him everything we would have wanted to; a testament to just how influential and knowledgeable the man was. It looks like now we won't have the chance.

Coincidentally, the Japanese Blu-Ray for Macross: Do You Remember Love? was only just announced. I understand a great deal of people have perhaps never seen anything Ishiguro was involved with, so if you find yourself reading this headline and got far enough in that you clicked on the forum comments and read this far without knowing much of the man's works, consider giving that one a look.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:19 am Reply with quote
He helped create some true masterpieces and classics of anime. That's not just what any people can do in the industry. And this is no consolation speak. LoGH and Macross are no joke.
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:00 am Reply with quote
Argh, I am going to miss him so much. He was the real deal; I don't think anyone could make DYRL or Megazone 23 Part 1 again. RIP, you awesome man you.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
And this is how anime truly dies.

His genius will be missed.

The style of anime creators like Ishiguro helped create has been dying for a while now and being replaced by a quite different type of anime where the appeal isn't necessarily what it once was, but still sad to see yet another pioneer go. They unfortunately aren't leaving much in the way of strong successors since again anime has kind of undergone a noticeable shift and the aims and values of todays generations of directors and writers seem totally different than those of the ones whose animes I grew up watching and defined what I think anime can be at it's best. Perhaps no director was more important in defining what I think of as anime than this one and Yoshiyuki Tomino who thankfully still lives but needs to get that G-Reko project out soon I fear.

Ishiguro was responsible for the first anime I ever saw at the way age of 5 in Astro Boy 1980's, Macross which is a pretty important show to me, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes which is up there with the Gundam franchise as my favorite anime thing of all time.

I guess the biggest difference I can see between Ishiguro and todays generation of anime creators is one of vision and will. Ishiguro's generation often fought for it's artistic vision to make it into the final product while todays generation seems a lot more willing to tow the line, follow the design by committee approach, and take easy shortcuts and solutions when creating a show like for example using pure fanservice or trope as a means of developing a characters appeal as opposed to defining them through action and experience which of course takes time. Then again Ishiguro's generation often had more time, but less budget to work with which often forced them to be creative.

Still shame to see another one go. The era of anime I fell in love with really does feel like it's been coming to a full close over the course of the past year or so and all that's left is to put the final exclamation point on it with a few more major creators passing. Sad
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
Oh my God, that's terrible. He directed two of my favorites and contributed so much to anime as a whole. Guess there's not much to do but salute and grieve.

Anime World Order wrote:
Coincidentally, the Japanese Blu-Ray for Macross: Do You Remember Love? was only just announced. I understand a great deal of people have perhaps never seen anything Ishiguro was involved with, so if you find yourself reading this headline and got far enough in that you clicked on the forum comments and read this far without knowing much of the man's works, consider giving that one a look.

I wonder the upcoming BD releases TV series and film will be dedicated in his memory. It's going to hurt every time I rewatch DYRL from now on, but I suppose that's how things go.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4