• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Entertainment Executive Change

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vekou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:38 pm Reply with quote
That's interesting. I've never met Marvin Gleicher, but I know Kaoru Mfaume's a cool guy. I wonder if this will have any significant effect on the quality of Manga-released titles...
xstylus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:06 pm Reply with quote
So does this mean Manga will actually give a damn about the quality of its releases now?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:10 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
So does this mean Manga will actually give a damn about the quality of its releases now?

Nah, they'll likely still continue to screw them up. Up! Up! Up! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:01 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
xstylus wrote:

Nah, they'll likely still continue to screw them up. Up! Up! Up! Wink

Well, what they need to do is re-release all the titles that Manga released and do it right. Of the titles they released as "dub" only they should put "subtitled" track on them. And fix and re-release the 'SF 2 movie'. Release the damn film in it's proper form uncut and without the 'Nine inch nails track'. If they want they can create a dual audio like what some studios have done. Where the music for the English track matches with the English dub and leave the music for the Japanese version intact.

I'm sure what I'm saying is minor but every show with the exception of the blockbuster movies, they have given very little care to other series. This is just a personally gripe with me. Like for example, I wanted the 'Devilman' movies they released them dubbed only. Or 'Dangaioh', and others to boot. I had to literally go out and purchase them on LD because they couldn't do one small task (even though they did it right on VHS) right.

But that's just my 2 cents. I don't feel that about everything they did because I do own some things that are done ok. That's just my 2 cent's. Now where the hell did 'Gunbuster' get to?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:51 pm Reply with quote
While I don't disagree that a bilingual version of the Street Fighter II movie would be terrific, Manga in North America had nothing to do with the dub-only DVD, which was distributed by Sony Music Entertainment. Manga just sublicensed the SME version of the film in the United Kingdom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I really wish Manga would stop turning the DVD logo on the case spines. And if you're going to screw around with the graphics, keep it consistent. One of the Eva movies has it the proper way while the other has it turned to the side so you have to turn your head to read it. It looks damn ugly on the shelf.

And they need to stop making those crappy trailers where the narrator talks for only 2 seconds about stuff that is so obvious while speaking in some horrible scratchy voice.

Example: Ninja Scroll Trailer

"A man named Jubei is a vagabond who fights for honor."

[random clips]
[more random clips]

"Jubei must defend those he loves."

[end trailer]

Granted, it's better than those textless intros everyone else plays off as trailers, but still. I learned more about the movie from Amazon's description.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:04 am Reply with quote
The Managing Director position is essentially identical to that of the president. In Europe the two terms are synonymous and "managing director" is more commonly used than "president."

In North America tehe term is often used for a subsidiary or partnership when the owners don't want the "managing director" to be seen as "the president." The general public sees "the president" as the head of the company (in some cases he is, but in most cases he's underneth the CEO and the board of directors), while "managing director" isn't perceived in the same "top of the pyramid" sort of way.

-t
Kimani

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
For the love of God Re-release Street Fighter II and Street Fighter
V with it's original music intact.
Andromeda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Kaoru Mfaume

How the heck do you pronounce that surname?

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote
Andromeda wrote:
Quote:
Kaoru Mfaume

This is a common way to spell African surnames. (ie: Mbuttu)

Generally it's "Mu-..." ie "MuFaume." Don't hold the U (in Mu) for more than an instant, it's not MuuFaume.

-t
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I hope this means they will stop turning over that compost heap of old crap they keep trailering and get more updated decent titles. Rolling Eyes
Andromeda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Andromeda wrote:
Quote:
Kaoru Mfaume

This is a common way to spell African surnames. (ie: Mbuttu)

Generally it's "Mu-..." ie "MuFaume." Don't hold the U (in Mu) for more than an instant, it's not MuuFaume.

-t

Thanks! :o

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1