• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why is there not a "Merchandise" section on ANN?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
For things such as figurines, posters, body pillows, etc.

Alternatively, if merchandise is too narrow a category, it might be broadened to include other tie-in materials such as video game/movie/live action adaptations, sound stages, etc.

It seems sufficiently related to anime--or as much so as events are--and would have interest. You occasionally get the chance to talk about a particular merchandise if ANN featured it in an article, but those are fairly narrow. The retail section might fit, but I got the impression that it's only for discussing where to buy things, so a topic that discusses a merchandise might be off topic if it doesn't discuss where to buy it. I guess sound stages might be posted in the music section, but that most likely would require mods to look the other way.

Is it because the English market doesn't release as many tie-in material as the Japanese market?
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Uh, merchandise gets talked about in the Retail forum other than where to buy it. And there's a figures thread in Anime.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:07 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
And there's a figures thread in Anime.

Never did understand this and wish the staff would move this into the Retail section.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:26 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Dessa wrote:
And there's a figures thread in Anime.

Never did understand this and wish the staff would move this into the Retail section.

Have you asked them to? Surely a respectable and esteemed member of the ANN community such as yourself would have little problem in convincing a Moderator to move the thread. I mean, don't expect me to do it, I couldn't convince the Mods to even kill a cockroach.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:39 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Have you asked them to? Surely a respectable and esteemed member of the ANN community such as yourself would have little problem in convincing a Moderator to move the thread.

I honestly don't recall if I ever asked for it to be moved. The last request, sent to Key, was to at least sticky it, but I'm still awaiting a reply.

Probably too busy dealing with all the complains about you. Wink
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:02 am Reply with quote
Leave it in the Anime Section. For the most part, the Retail Section is a barren wasteland and any discussion of merchandise would go largely unnoticed. And as Raftina showed, there's a misconception about that section. Is it a place where people talk about buying things? Yes, but we also get topics where we actually have discussions and topics. Unfortunately, not many others see it that way and so those types of threads are few and far between. My guess is that it's a combination of the misconception mixed with feelings of dislike for the people who "brag" about or "show off" their purchases and a little bit of intimidation from those who only buy a few things a year.

Mix all that together and you get a section where only a handful people do regular, or at least consistent, posting. I wish there was a way to increase the headcount there, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Basically, if you want to talk about posters, keychains, body pillows or whatever, I'd suggest just doing it in the Anime Section. No guarantee it'll take off like the figures thread, but at least it'll be seen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1