• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
the meaning of FLCL

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
What does FLCL mean to you?

To me, "Fooly Cooly" means something so cool that one would be an idiot to try and imitate it.

For example: Tony Hawk doing a 900 from one building to another. It's cool; but if you tried it, not only would you fail and look like a jackass but you'd also die from the fall. Hence:

Cooly: Tony Hawk doing a death-defying trick.
Fooly: You trying it and dying.

At least that's my idea of what FLCL means to me.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:14 pm Reply with quote
When in doubt, Wiki it!:

Quote:
FLCL (Japanese フリクリ Furi Kuri, pronounced and officially romanized as Fooly Cooly) is a six episode Japanese animation OVA series, the brainchild of director Kazuya Tsurumaki of Gainax and released by Gainax and Production I.G.. The true definition of "Fooly cooly" is not known nor made clear throughout the series, but one theory maintains it to be a Japanese shortening of "Flictonic Cliple Weber Syndrome," a fictional medical condition used as a plot device in the show. However, considering the phonetic structure of the Japanese language, it is far more logical to assume that "Flictonic Cliple Weber Syndrome" (pronounced Furikutoniku Kuripure Ueba Shindoromu in Japanese romanji) is actually born from the term FuriKuri/Fooly Cooly, rather than vice versa. The unknown origin of the title is one of many quirks in series pointed out by even the characters, who frequently use the term, but never explain its meaning.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:21 am Reply with quote
DELETED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:25 am; edited 3 times in total
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:16 am Reply with quote
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
lone_samurai wrote:
Well now I understand FLCL a little better but I have one more question what does Fooly Cooly mean?
Laughing Oh boy, I can't even tell you what it means on here. Your best bet is to use a search engine to figure it out, that's what I did, and I died laughing to see what it meant.

Really I just went to UrbanDictionary and typed in Fooly Cooly. OMG it was funny.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
imaginary_num6er

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I thought FLCL was the abbreviation of the name of the syndrome Naoto is having, which was breifly mentioned in like ep1~2. Other than that, it is generally what you want to think it means.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:06 pm Reply with quote
imaginary_num6er wrote:
I thought FLCL was the abbreviation of the name of the syndrome Naoto is having, which was breifly mentioned in like ep1~2. Other than that, it is generally what you want to think it means.

Nah that's a fake disease Haruko made up. Haruko said it's when children grow horns from trying too hard(Whatever that means). If you want to know wha it really means go to [url]Urban Dictionary. [/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alphonseelricgirl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah.....I went through a phase like that. I though everything had a meaning.
EX: In eppy 1, there was an awkward silence between Naota and Haruko while she is holding a guitar. In the middle of this silence, the only noise you hear is her plucking one string, and that's it. I used to actually think that was symbolic of something.
EX: When Mamimi ws playing in the river and her shoes floated away, I thought that meant something too.
EX: I thought that Ninamori wearing the fake glasses in the play meant something.
And don't get me started on, "I don't like spicy/sour stuff!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2