• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga UK Announces U.K. DVD Release of Dragonball Z from July 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninja noir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
sooo.....is this the version that has the issues with the top and bottom of the images cut off then? Sad

hmm.....i'll prolly buy it anyway.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
Stupid question but...why didn't they just get Kai?
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
If you search DragonBall Z on Amazon UK right now you get the American versions of these sets (which are Import friendly) being sold for £16 and under. Good Luck Manga but this might be too late to be as successful as it could be perhaps 2-3 years ago.

Im sure it will do enough for them tho'.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh dear.
After the HUGE wait for DBZ to be released on DVD in the UK, we get the worst 'orange brick remastered' release!
Manga, what are you doing?!
They should have either gone for the Dragon Box version or Kai.
Both would have sold very well.
Instead, every self-respecting DBZ fan will avoid these sets, just like they did when they were released in the US.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
They better go though with this because if they don't, it's their balls on the line.

Their balls.

Line.
Takuku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
What is exactly wrong with the orange boxes?
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
DVD in high-definition widescreen

what? DVD is not HD and if they're taking the US's R1 copy and just changing the region code then it's going to be lower quality than R2 SD.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
Quote:
DVD in high-definition widescreen

what? DVD is not HD and if they're taking the US's R1 copy and just changing the region code then it's going to be lower quality than R2 SD.

The source material was mastered for HD (and cropped/converted to widescreen) The SD DVD was created from these HD masters. Supposedly, the SD transfer on the DVDs will be at the best possible resolution that DVD has to offer, although in practice, when companies start throwing terms like HD and remastered around, it's only marketing. The proof will be in the pudding.

And this isn't just relabelling the R1 discs. Australia's Madman Entertainment will have converted the NTSC discs to PAL format. If it's a proper PAL conversion, then you'll get the full 576i resolution used for the image, played back 4% faster than the NTSC discs to compensate for the difference in frame rate.

If it is an NTSC-PAL conversion, then interpolation and frame blending will be used to maintain the frame rate and run time, and the resolution will be that of a 480i image scaled up to 576i, and it'll be a tad fuzzier as a result. Again, the proof will be in the pudding.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
if they're taking the US's R1 copy and just changing the region code then it's going to be lower quality than R2 SD.

They cannot do that (as they did with the Xam's BDs) since the R1 discs are NTSC. They are using Madman's PAL masters, which will have been converted from FUNimation's HD masters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
While nearly 300 episodes in a year would be good, I'll import numerous alternatives (Dragon Box, Kai or the Bluray) or buy Bakuman so they don't back out of supporting it.

Not impressed at how long they spent hiding and teasing us over a show from the 1980s which I would only buy to show my brother part of how bad FUNi were. Assuming this is the Orange Box...

>_>
aeris2001x2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:40 am Reply with quote
This is far far too late. Waited 15 years for a vhs or dvd release of dragon ball Z while numerous awful anime was released here in the UK.

In the end I gave up and imported the Dragon Boxes at high cost. Like I am going to buy DBZ again, especially not the Orange bricks...
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:13 am Reply with quote
Hate to tell you this but DBZ is awful would have been nice to see DB but Z was just the annoying money spinner.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:
if they're taking the US's R1 copy and just changing the region code then it's going to be lower quality than R2 SD.

They cannot do that (as they did with the Xam's BDs) since the R1 discs are NTSC. They are using Madman's PAL masters, which will have been converted from FUNimation's HD masters.
That's all bollox now as both formats are dead and buried. The only thing to convert now is the scan rate frequency 50/60hz. Region coding is the only dinosaur still left standing that should have gone extinct like NTSC and PAL. Rolling Eyes
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:02 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:

That's all bollox now as both formats are dead and buried. The only thing to convert now is the scan rate frequency 50/60hz. Region coding is the only dinosaur still left standing that should have gone extinct like NTSC and PAL. Rolling Eyes

and even that is pointless as my TV can do both.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

The scan rate determines the frame rate (25 vs 30 fps for video). DBZ being film at 24fps complicates things further unless they are using 24p. PAL and NTSC DVDs also have different resolutions.
You can't just slap a different region code on and hope that every prospective buyer has the equipment and connections to handle it. Madman are considering doing NTSC DVDs for selected releases but I cannot see Manga being that adventurous.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2