• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actress Satomi Arai Reveals Marriage, Son

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:34 am Reply with quote
Wow. That's really great for her. But...

How did she hide the fact that she was pregnant for 9 months?

Last edited by Darkmagick on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
mrdarkrai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote
good friends, i'd say
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote
If she wasn't making public appearances during the last 5-6 months of her pregnancy then it wouldn't have been too hard to hide, even from Japan's rabid seiyuu otaku.

Doubtless this will raise a stink in the aforementioned otaku community, and I have to think that the "various circumstances" comment at least partly concerns them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
Bakuman spolier ahead --> spoiler[If you take into consideration what is happening during the current Bakuman arc right now,] I don't find this surprising in the least.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Doubtless this will raise a stink in the aforementioned otaku community, and I have to think that the "various circumstances" comment at least partly concerns them.

Indeed, this is very true. The Japanese seiyuu otaku community's views on seiyuus and relationships has always really bothered me...If the seiyuu have someone they care enough about to go out with/get married to, can't we just say "congratulations" and let that be the end of it?
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote
Oh i remember her, she is the new voice of Fa Yuri in the Zeta Gundam Movies. She also took over the character's voice in all the later Gundam and Super Robot Wars games. I like her performance as Fa and wish her a happy life both in her private and professional one Smile
ssjokg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote
BUUUUURNNNN HER

Jokes aside,I wonder how it feels hearing lullabies with Kuroko's voice.I want to see the reactions to this.Seiyuu otaku are really weird.Maybe I could understand the reactions for Hirano but after the reactions for Ayana Taketatsu I dont think it's safe to be a young female seiyuu.
rabrek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:41 am Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
The Japanese seiyuu otaku community's views on seiyuus and relationships has always really bothered me...If the seiyuu have someone they care enough about to go out with/get married to, can't we just say "congratulations" and let that be the end of it?

I'd note that this is an issue that crops up with Western pop singers and actors who have a stake in the tween-teen-young'un fan base. There's an illusion that you - yes, YOU - might meet your celebrity crush and engage in glamorous dating practices and so! much! more! Managers and publicists have been known to advise their clients to remain visibly "single" in order to nurture the fantasies that sell movies, music, and tacky merchandise. (See also: "we advise you to remain in the closet".) It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the blurb.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
Wait....Kuroko is married....to a man!? And they have a son?!?

Looks like Mikoto won't be bothered for a long time. Laughing

Jokes aside, i wish Satomi, her husband and their son well.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Funny that she has had to keep mum for so long what's supposed to be two of the greatest circumstances of her life. Laughing
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Good on 'em, and I wish them well.

Relatedly, I really don't like the most common voice (Kuroko-ish) that she uses in anime. No hard feelings but I would not be at all upset if she were to ever quit the VA business.
Sakura_jp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I doubt otaku would care that much. It's not like she is an idol or anything.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
rabrek wrote:
Darkmagick wrote:
The Japanese seiyuu otaku community's views on seiyuus and relationships has always really bothered me...If the seiyuu have someone they care enough about to go out with/get married to, can't we just say "congratulations" and let that be the end of it?
I'd note that this is an issue that crops up with Western pop singers and actors who have a stake in the tween-teen-young'un fan base. There's an illusion that you - yes, YOU - might meet your celebrity crush and engage in glamorous dating practices and so! much! more! Managers and publicists have been known to advise their clients to remain visibly "single" in order to nurture the fantasies that sell movies, music, and tacky merchandise. (See also: "we advise you to remain in the closet".) It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the blurb.
What, you mean that despite not even living there or speaking the language, I'm not going to meet and marry every single one of the roughly 500 Anime hyper K-pop boyband members of the various groups I follow? Well, #%&@! *throws all her CDs and such on the floor in a tizzy*

Seriously though, I've always found this sort of attitude (held by a vocal minority of fans) pretty ridiculous, whether it's about pop stars, actors, or seiyuu. As long as they're not doing something awful like kicking puppies, I really don't care what celebrities do in their down time. I just want to enjoy their product. I've grown to dislike American pop culture for this very reason-- I'm so sick of hearing every detail of celebrities' personal lives (it's pretty much impossible to avoid, though I do try).

Anyway, I hope this seiyuu's career survives such a "shocking" Rolling Eyes revelation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Key, pregnancy is usually not visible till 5-6th month, even longer if you are lucky or have creative stylist that knows how to tie material here and there.

When it comes to Western former teen stars it's more the matter of producer promoting the star as a role model therefore forbidding anything that may be considered as misbehaviour (premarital sex, alcohol, driving without safety belts). Audience itself is more forgiving than their parents. Here we have the audience who wants their idols to live like angels, without additional parts. It's hardly for me to image that someone might image that his star doesn't kiss or go to toilet.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap! My favorite seiyuu of all time! Marriage and kids! But honestly, one of her first big roles, Coco in Mermaid Melody is always forgotten. Congrats to her, and I will always continue to be her biggest fan. :3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2