• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wrath of the Titans Writer Discusses Live-Action Bleach

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
So, after bastardizing Greek mythology, he's going to set out to bastardize shonen lore as well? Wonderful.

Mythology can be interpreted in any way that any one person likes. In comparison to Bleach, myths are not stories that have been set in stone by an author (at their core, myths are nothing but tradition). Therefore, you can't so much say that he's bastardizing anything at this point, as live-action Bleach is barely in pre-production (if that) and the Titans are characters that are a part of mythology.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
Glad to see the guy wants to avoid it turning into a another DBE, but at the same time Bleach feels like it has the same problem that Dragonball has as far as adapting to the big screen. Its just a bit too fantastical to work well in a live setting. Can't say I have too much faith in this tuning out to decent though I hope for the best.
maliw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:24 am Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
Wrath of the Titans screenwriter. Right, the final nail in Bleach's coffin I guess. Very Happy

There isn't a single nail there and no reason to be one

If this is gonna be as bad and Titans, I'm gonna enjoy it.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
Well…I suppose he is saying all the right things…

It's hard *not* to set it in Japan since most of the elements of the story are Japanese-specific. That said, how is this going to be cast (much less the language chosen for it). Don't tell me they're going to actually cast *gulp* ACTUAL Asians?! I could see them getting loose with the Soul Society captains and enemies, but color me shocked if they actually stay racially-accurate with the story…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:33 am Reply with quote
maliw wrote:
Ulinox wrote:
Wrath of the Titans screenwriter. Right, the final nail in Bleach's coffin I guess. Very Happy

There isn't a single nail there and no reason to be one

If this is gonna be as bad and Titans, I'm gonna enjoy it.

You do realize that both the Bleach manga and anime are ending?
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:31 am Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
You do realize that both the Bleach manga and anime are ending?

The anime has just gone on hiatus until more material is available.
The manga is technically ending, but not for at least 3+ years.
Remember Kubo said this will be the longest arc yet, and the Arrancar arc went on for YEARS!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:27 am Reply with quote
Kubo's a hack!............ So they'll get along well together then. Laughing

Kasugano wrote:
Well go to show hollywood can't come up with originally anymore.

They just did! Wrath of the Titans - not from any Greek mythologies I know! Still will make a ton of money though. Laughing

CareyGrant wrote:
What anime fans and fans of Bleach want: someone like Aaron Sorkin, Peter Jackson or Christopher Nolan adapting the source material, with a budget on par with Avatar or the last Harry Potter film; set in Japan with a Japanese cast.

Or a Chinese cast. Like they've never done that before!
At least they won't be white-washing......... Ya can call it yellow-washing instead. Laughing

Apollo-kun wrote:
So, after bastardizing Greek mythology, he's going to set out to bastardize shonen lore as well? Wonderful.

Yeah, let them bastardize the legend of King Arthur instead! Laughing
(Or Oda Nobunaga.)

Apollo-kun wrote:

To me, the only truly good anime-to-movie adaptation (from America) has been "Speed Racer", primarily because the Wachowski Brothers kept the campy aspect of the show that so many people loved it for. To this day, I'll never understand it's critical lambasting.

The movie is a good adaptation of the show. But Speed Racer =! Mach Go Go Go anime. The former is already an Americanization of the latter. It is already one step removed. Like a live-action Robotech.

egoist wrote:
What, is that a continuation to Clash of the Tits?

Bleach can have that in spades! Laughing
JLightstar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:40 am Reply with quote
Didn't Kubo said in a interview if he had wanted to make a live action movie, he would have not created the manga in the first place? I was under the impression he didn't care for a live action adaption.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:54 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

At least they won't be white-washing......... Ya can call it yellow-washing instead. Laughing

Nah, it's like getting a Ukrainian to play a Russian, same difference. Now, if they got a Chinese or any Asian guy to play Chad, who's of Mexican descent, then you can call that yellow washing Laughing
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote
it's worth being cautiously optimistic for a couple of other reasons too...

It can be a smaller movie [ie. less expensive] BECAUSE it's a smaller story in the first place. At least initially, it doesn't need to be epic in scale, because it's a story about a kid who can see spirits, and a couple of his friends. Yes it's still going to need plenty of CG, but it's set in a little Japanese suburb...

that counts for a lot . When you have an epic, you end up with a ton more compromise, because of scale, pricing, and how many people have to be involved.

With a little bit of luck they can have this movie be about what has already been mentioned, the first arc until Rukia is taken back to soul society.

Actually in doing it that way, they could hit this outta the park.

Here's hopin'
mizunosaki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:23 am Reply with quote
*please don't mess this up please don't mess this up please don't mess this up*

I'm waiting, hoping, for a hero that will restore my faith in Hollywood. I hope this will be the one. It has a promising premise, awesome story and plot, a great universe, and great characters.

*crossing my fingers*
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:32 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Well...if you take out the clothes, language, and mannerism, you really can't tell the difference between a chinese and a japanese.

It's like using a Canadian or Russian actor to portray an American character.
enurtsol wrote:

Huh, and I thought you were going to link to a picture of Saber instead. Surprised

Of course, rather than bastardize, I'd call that sex-ify.

And damn there's even more green text than black text there.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:04 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Well...if you take out the clothes, language, and mannerism, you really can't tell the difference between a chinese and a japanese.

Tell that to the Japanese! They complained about it! Laughing

Gon*Gon wrote:

It's like using a Canadian or Russian actor to portray an American character.

Anybody can be an American and still be believable. Laughing

Gon*Gon wrote:

enurtsol wrote:

Huh, and I thought you were going to link to a picture of Saber instead. Surprised

Of course, rather than bastardize, I'd call that sex-ify.

Oh, y'mean how they also sexified Hillary Clinton? Laughing

Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:40 am Reply with quote
Hey, it could be worse....Nick Simmons could've attached himself to the project somehow.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
> Wants to avoid what happened to Dragon Ball.
>> Says things that clearly show he doesn't know what happened to Dragon Ball.

DBE's faults as a movie don't stem from the fact it didn't adhere to the story told in the manga, because while it's not a literal adaptation it isn't that far removed from Dragon Ball. DBE's faults stem from the fact it's a poorly made movie. The film lacks any sort of character development, or proper introductions. That's not a fault of a bad adaptation, that's the fault of poor film-making. Essentially what he's saying is that he hopes to avoid making decisions that lead to poor film-making. I'm fairly certain everyone who's ever made a film hopes to achieve that.

Also, there is no "Dragon Ball Z movie". DBE is based on the manga which never used that name, and the story segments DBE adapts all happen to fall under the Dragon Ball portion of the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4