• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Another episodes 7-12 streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Bob from Accounting wrote:
Yes, because it doesn't thread together with the other supernatural elements, making the story messy and destroying willling suspension of disbelief.

Not for me, it didn't. The whole deal with the curse was utterly preposterous to start with, so I was hardly going to sweat a spoiler[death-seeing doll's eye,] for Pete's sake. I just sat back and had fun.
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:59 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yes, because it doesn't thread together with the other supernatural elements, making the story messy and destroying willling suspension of disbelief.

Not for me, it didn't. The whole deal with the curse was utterly preposterous to start with, so I was hardly going to sweat a spoiler[death-seeing doll's eye,] for Pete's sake. I just sat back and had fun.

Well, I guess if you can enjoy a whole series of inconsequental people dying inconsequental deaths while the actual characters hide behind a metre of plot armour that nobody's allowed to take off until right at the end, then OK. But for me this was a badly-put together show with boring characters, a messy plot and no atmosphere. All it had going for it were some entertaining death scenes, a fairly high standard of animation quality and a good midway twist (which was then ruined by a later one).
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:46 am Reply with quote
Very much agree with this review and Another was one of my favorite shows of the winter anime season. In the beginning, I wasn't sure how I'd like it, but it kept me coming back each week. For me, I think the end reveal was upsetting because spoiler[in addition to things people already mentioned about how some facts about Reiko being the homeroom teacher or being murdered felt tacked on, I had kinda already committed to my own theory. So many people died on the class trip that I assumed the dead person was everyone in the class, or at least everyone BUT Misaki. I was more than a little disappointed when it was the aunt disguised as the homeroom teacher.]

Although cecilthedarkknight's chart did help put a few clues into place.

Over all, I still enjoyed it. I'll be picking up the DVD and I really hope the novel comes over as well.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:41 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Well, I guess if you can enjoy a whole series of inconsequental people dying inconsequental deaths while the actual characters hide behind a metre of plot armour that nobody's allowed to take off until right at the end, then OK. But for me this was a badly-put together show with boring characters, a messy plot and no atmosphere. All it had going for it were some entertaining death scenes, a fairly high standard of animation quality and a good midway twist (which was then ruined by a later one).

Well, clearly the show had enough going for it to make you watch it to the end, unless you are one of those people who bizarrely watches a show to completion despite not liking it. But I get how some fans need to treat every anime series like it's Citizen Kane and whine, whine, whine. God save us from the sad little Pauline Kael wanna-bes.
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:39 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Well, clearly the show had enough going for it to make you watch it to the end, unless you are one of those people who bizarrely watches a show to completion despite not liking it. But I get how some fans need to treat every anime series like it's Citizen Kane and whine, whine, whine. God save us from the sad little Pauline Kael wanna-bes.

Yes, because anime is totally exempt from criticism. There are good anime and bad anime, and some in between. Why are you even reading reviews of anime if you think they shouldn't be criticised. It's not Citizen Kane, so my opinion is invalid. Nice going. Oh, and personal insults are a great way to back up your view. They make you sound really intelligent.

But onto your main defense here: that I watched it all. Yes I did. Why? Well, that's a good question. I guess it's because the first half, with its competent set-up and and (at that point) well-excecuted twists and story ideas, really felt like it was leading up to something good, and by the time I realised that it probably wasn't, I felt like I might as well keep going through the few episodes left on the off chance that I was wrong and that this series was going to rescue itself. Or maybe I'm just a masochist. Either way, it doesn't really change the fact that Another is a fairly bad series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:48 am Reply with quote
@ Bob from Accounting - I have no problem with people expressing negative views of whatever anime they watch. I do it. It's just sometimes how people do it bugs me, even if I substantially agree with their points. In your case, it's this dopey, "fine I'll accept the curse, but zomg,spoiler[ a death-seeing doll's eye???] Holy unwilling suspension of disbelief Batman! Your contention that this is an incongruous element to a show like Another is simply stupid. In my opinion, he adds.
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:18 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Bob from Accounting - I have no problem with people expressing negative views of whatever anime they watch. I do it. It's just sometimes how people do it bugs me, even if I substantially agree with their points. In your case, it's this dopey, "fine I'll accept the curse, but zomg,spoiler[ a death-seeing doll's eye???] Holy unwilling suspension of disbelief Batman! Your contention that this is an incongruous element to a show like Another is simply stupid. In my opinion, he adds.

This kind of series can pile on further supernatural elements all they want as long as they satisfyingly thread together into a strong whole (see: Higurashi) but, for me at least, I just didn't get that with spoiler[the magic eye]. It just seemed like an extra element the author decided to tack on so he didn't have to think of a solution to this 'finding the extra' issue spoiler[(and no, Mei seeing Reiko die isn't exactly an alternative since we can assume that it's down to her powers in some vague way that she remembers that at all when her memory of it should have been erased)]. The main issue, really, isn't so much that it isn't believable (although I maintain, perhaps irrationally, that it just didn't fit in my view), it's that it is lazy writing. And maybe, if that was the only flaw in this series, I'd be prepared to accept it. But it's not, so I won't. In my opinion.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:28 am Reply with quote
The main issue, really, isn't so much that it isn't believable (although I maintain, perhaps irrationally, that it just didn't fit in my view), it's that it is lazy writing. And maybe, if that was the only flaw in this series, I'd be prepared to accept it. But it's not, so I won't. In my opinion.

That sums up my own opinion quite nicely. If it was just the one problem then it wouldn't matter. But instead it is symptomatic of so many issues with the writing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:28 am Reply with quote
I don't disagree that it would have been more interesting if the show had played the paranoia card earlier. For example, if it had been discovered midway through the series how to stop the curse, then we could have had some really interesting episodes where we see our heroes digest this info, see them go through the process of trying to discover who the Another is and then watch that snowball into a bloody orgy of death and destruction. Trying to cram that dynamic into basically one and half episodes didn't work. But they didn't take that route, so it's not as if Mei's "thing" resulted in a deus ex machina. It's not what made spoiler[Kouichi ultimately believe her.] To me - and again this is just one person's opinion, obviously - but your problem with Mei's deal is more of a quirk on your part than an objective flaw that a majority of people would have a problem with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3