• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami on [adult swim].

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiro94

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I was just tuning into bleach and The Toonami robot guy popped up and talked i just wanted to make sure i wasn't dreaming did anyone else see this too?
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow, glad I saw this thread, as I don't normally tune in to Bleach, but for a chance to see Tom? Oho, yes! To hear Steven Blum's sweet sexy voice again! Not sure why it said Toonami, but I'm not complaining!

I'm thinking it's their April Fool's day joke, but I want it to last forever, every Saturday for ever and ever! Otherwise the reminder just makes me sad and miss Toonami like usual Sad

Last edited by zawa113 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see what Hiro94 saw, but I just saw a break with a Toonami bumper, replete with a new Steve Blum voiceover informing me that I was watching Bleach. This is an awesomely unexpected treat. Sappy and dating as it is to admit, this takes me back.

I haven't actually smiled at an Adult Swim April Fool's day prank in a long time. Of course all they've done for the past few years is play The Room.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiro94

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome up next is DragonBall Z then it said at 1 am Gundam wing is on!
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Anime cry

Tom and Sara, how everyone's missed you!! Oh, my childhood...
Hiro94

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Tom just said watch Bleach next saturday on Toonami i hope this is for real and not a prank!
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Hiro94 wrote:
Tom just said watch Bleach next saturday on Toonami i hope this is for real and not a prank!

This'd be ridiculously tragic if that's not the case...! I can bearly contain myself with emotion over this! Anime cry No, I can't contain myself... I'm beyond that point now... Anime cry
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
This is not an April Fools joke. This is.... this is an early Christmas gift! Well, ...except for someone like Penguintruth of course. He probably feels like he got coal right about now. Laughing
B.K.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Best April Fool's Joke ever.

Next is Gundam Wing! Then Tenchi Muyo!
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Heh, heh. Just seen this as I was channel surfing on my TV. Hate to think of this being part of Adult Swim's annual April Fool's joke, but it definitely took me by surprise tonight to see some nostalgia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
troizen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow first cartoon planet returning yesterday and now this 10yr old me is so excited.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
How are they airing some of these? I thought they lost the rights to my anime darling Outlaw Star ages ago (OS was the anime that got me into anime and my first anime DVD set and one of my most rewatched, so it's quite a special series to me, and yet the fond memories of seeing it on TV are unique, so I can't wait to see it on TV again if only for a brief episode).
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I am having totally nostalgia bomb going on right now. Cool, Tom 3.0, DBZ, Gundam Wing, Tenchi and Outlaw Star? My childhood has returned to me!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
That was the first time I'd seen Mobile Suit Gundam Wing in more than a decade, well, at least directly and without decreasingly sober commentary by Mike Toole.

Here I thought I might just check to see if the episode of Durarara!! that was supposed to be on tonight was one of the few that I missed. I've seldom been happier to not get what I expected.

I originally meant to go to bed a while ago, but I think that I'll be in for the long haul tonight.

classicalzawa wrote:
How are they airing some of these? I thought they lost the rights to my anime darling Outlaw Star ages ago (OS was the anime that got me into anime and my first anime DVD set and one of my most rewatched, so it's quite a special series to me, and yet the fond memories of seeing it on TV are unique, so I can't wait to see it on TV again if only for a brief episode).

I was wondering about how they got the rights too. I can only assume that they made some special arrangements with the relevant companies to air a single choice episode of each. I imagine that the license holders saw what was sure to be and has been a weapon of mass nostalgia as a good promotional opportunity. Hell, for all I know, Ken Iyadomi is selling the rights to Bandai stuff out of the back of a roadside frozen banana stand.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Karasu416

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
Oh man! This is so great! Seeing my childhood again this is amazing! Anyone else see they did a game review like the old days with Mass Effect 3? I caught wind of this from Blum's twitter before midnight, and tuned in to be pleasantly surprised.

You guys ever wonder if this is a ratings test since they know people loved Toonami? What a better time to do it then april fools? If it's ratings are good enough to prove it's feasible to come back then yes, but if it isn't they could easily pass it off as just another 'April Fools'. You're thoughts everyone?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 16