• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
U.S. Discontinued / OOP Anime Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smashwagon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
A bit disappointing as Saiunkoku is a show that I think would be a decent seller if the right audience got to it.. I think things such as twelve kingdoms and fushigi yugi are decent sellers (I buy them anyhow) and it is of the same ilk.

Though I refuse to pay to finance scalpers or booters.

I really am glad to have a chance for Black Lagoon, Shana and Ergo though, so there is that at least.

I did mention Nanoha to Rojas at a con recently, and he smiled but gave no answers on it.
WTK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
wormraper wrote:
damn, I was hoping for Season 3 of KK Maoh Sad. also hoping for Familiar of Zero Sad. at least I have season 1 and now S4 is being licensed by Sentai. any word on season 2 and 3?

Since Sentai Filmworks has S4, it really makes no sense if they don't pick seasons 1 to 3. I guess it's a wait and see.
WTK

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
Recently de-listed @ TRSI...
  • Ghost Stories DVD Complete Collection (Hyb)
  • Gunbuster DVD (S)
  • Gundam SEED Destiny OVA DVD (Hyb): Final Plus
  • Heaven's Lost Property Season 1 DVD/Blu-ray Complete Set (Hyb) Limited Edition
  • Jing, King of Bandits DVD Complete Collection (Hyb)
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
via RACS
Quote:
Media Blasters has informed us that the Ah My Goddess Season 1 box AWDVD-0946 (Funi has AMG Season 2) is not going to be re-pressed and is now out of print. Not sure if they are dropping the license or if they are just planning to try to re-print it as a 'classics' box at some future date, but for the time being S1 is off the market. This seems to be happening to a lot of older MB titles but it's hard to get confirmation on any particular one. Whenever that happens, I'll pass it on here
Nico87

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Great Teacher Onizuka should be in Tokyopop's list.
WTK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Nico87 wrote:
Great Teacher Onizuka should be in Tokyopop's list.

I go by the last in-print release. It's listed under FUNimation -> (Tokyopop License / FUNimation Distribution).
Nico87

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:23 am Reply with quote
Ah, I see, but it's still OOP isn't it? Last relase was a short print 5 years ago.
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
Nico87 wrote:
Ah, I see, but it's still OOP isn't it? Last relase was a short print 5 years ago.

It's definitely OOP. It was one of the few Tokyopop titles that FUNimation distribute for (announced back in late May '06). Initial D was another (of which they license rescued). The third was suppose to be Marmalade Boy, but it fell through due the expiration of the first 24 episodes.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
via RACS
Quote:
Media Blasters has informed us that the Ah My Goddess Season 1 box AWDVD-0946 (Funi has AMG Season 2) is not going to be re-pressed and is now out of print. Not sure if they are dropping the license or if they are just planning to try to re-print it as a 'classics' box at some future date, but for the time being S1 is off the market. This seems to be happening to a lot of older MB titles but it's hard to get confirmation on any particular one. Whenever that happens, I'll pass it on here

This news is saddening, glad I have the series. I hope Funi picks it up.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Why would Funimation pick up Ah My Goddess? Season 2 is in the SAVE line.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:42 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Why would Funimation pick up Ah My Goddess? Season 2 is in the SAVE line.

Where have you been?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:33 am Reply with quote
I think what he was saying is "why would Funimation spend money to acquire the rights to the first season when they've basically written off the second?" - a reasonable question.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
Being in the SAVE line doesn't mean it has been "written off". Look at BECK, it is getting a re-release of the S.A.V.E edition despite it having gone out of print. People really need to stop thinking that S.A.V.E editions = End of the line for a show. BECK just proved that that isn't always the case.

Besides, if the license is cheap then Funimation will rescue it. Look at how they randomly picked up Pretear.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:45 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Being in the SAVE line doesn't mean it has been "written off". Look at BECK, it is getting a re-release of the S.A.V.E edition despite it having gone out of print. People really need to stop thinking that S.A.V.E editions = End of the line for a show. BECK just proved that that isn't always the case.

Pretty sure they had to let Beck go out of print and then re-issue it because of the name change. Also, hasn't it been said in an ANNCast that yes, the SAVE editions are the last release so people should take note to pick them up before they go OOP?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:38 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:

Besides, if the license is cheap then Funimation will rescue it. Look at how they randomly picked up Pretear.

Or look at why they randomly picked up Pretear. I myself have no idea why as there's got to be more to it than just "dubbed" and "cheap".

Season 1 AMG? Since Funimation got season 2 through ADV's liquidation {and almost all of those releases made it to the SAVE line, sometimes instantly}, it doesn't mean season 1 is cheap.

For one thing, season one isn't bad.

Quote:

Pretty sure they had to let Beck go out of print and then re-issue it because of the name change. Also, hasn't it been said in an ANNCast that yes, the SAVE editions are the last release so people should take note to pick them up before they go OOP?

I think they meant something else. Once a title reaches the SAVE line, that's it, no more further editions. But if it still sells, they will still sell it. Would they renew the license to SAVE editions? I don't know but certain titles seem more obvious than others. NDB? That was a "no".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11