• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tales of Vesperia Film's English Dub Clips Posted

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Dub sounds pretty good, as for the movie itself... meh. It was alright, but I would only suggest it to fans of the game.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
It looks pretty badass. I wonder who the new characters are, considering none of them were ever mentioned in the game.

Will take a little time getting used to some of the different voice actors.
TronBonne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather not watch the dub clips and just see the entire thing for myself when I get the whole movie. Smile
Sarukah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat, I cannot believe it! They actually got Yuri and Flynn's actors from the game! That practically never happens in videogame to anime adaptations! I hated watching the japanese dub cause I love the english voices so much better; now I must have this.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Well it looks like they got Troy Baker back as Yuri and Sam Regal as Flynn but they recast Rita Mordio as she was played by Michelle Ruff and is now Luci Christian and Estelle looked to be played by the same actress but I don't know who played her off the top of my head but she sounded the same.

Kinda irks me they recast Rita she is my favorite character and I would have loved to see Michelle play her again as she did a incredible job in the game. But Luci Christian is a really good chose to recast if it had to be done her voice does fit and doesn't seem out of place even if I don't like the fact that it is different.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
i actually liked the movie, so i might have to pick this up at some point.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
It looks pretty badass. I wonder who the new characters are, considering none of them were ever mentioned in the game.

It's a prequel so there will be character not mentioned in the game.

Reibooi wrote:
Well it looks like they got Troy Baker back as Yuri and Sam Regal as Flynn but they recast Rita Mordio as she was played by Michelle Ruff and is now Luci Christian and Estelle looked to be played by the same actress but I don't know who played her off the top of my head but she sounded the same.

I'm not that much of a dub fan, but since I played the game I really enjoyed Troy Baker as Yuri. So, it's nice to see him reprise the role in the movie.

Luci Christian did a fine job as Rita in the clip. Rita is technically younger in the movie and it does happen to cast a different VA when a character is younger. So, not entirely surprised. Since I'm not too, too familiar with English VAs...I didn't even realize it was a different person.

The twins don't sound that great though.

Last edited by superdry on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reibooi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
@superdry

Yeah they often to cast different people in roles when the character is younger however this would not be one of those cases. Rita looks exactly the same in the clip so there wasen't a need to change her for that reason. My guess is that similar to the Trigun movie some of the VA's could not take the trip down to texas to do the dub for the small amount of money they would be paid to do it they need to make enough to make it worth their while and I'm guessing it wasn't gonna be worth it for Michelle.

I personally thought Michelle sounded younger in the way she played Rita in the game as she had a slight childish tone to her voice which is clearly how Rita acted but again Luci is as good a recast as they could have chosen the voice fits fine I just would have liked to see the entire game cast return.
nekedo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
This article should be amended. This is not an adaptation of the Tales of Vesperia game. It is a prequel.
Dako Guyver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
It looks good to me. Don't know much about the story of the movie (yet), but I'll more then likely get this when it comes out. I loved the game so much I played it several times. So much so I've lost count. Of course that was on the 360 when it first came out. Seeing this just makes me want to play it again. Can't wait for it to come out now.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:

Danielle Judovits

People initially thought it was Hynden Walch.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:58 am Reply with quote
I have no idea who it is that's doing the voice for Estelle, but it's definitely not Danielle Judovits. Just sounds like someone trying to do a bad impersonation of her voice.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:15 am Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
Just sounds like someone trying to do a bad impersonation of her voice.

First of all, it's most likely Cherami Leigh just by the sound of her voice. Second of all, I highly, HIGHLY doubt that whoever was the voice director for the show told Cherami Leigh to sound as much like Danielle Judovits as possible. Unless there's a certain character in a show where there isn't much to his/her characterization in the first place and the character itself is not meant to be taken all that seriously (I heard somewhere this happened in Fairy Tail where the bad guy in the first episode, Bora who was voice by Ian Sinclair, was told to do a bad J. Michael Tatum impersonation by Tyler Walker), then it's not really great judgment to assume that's how actors are directed for acting the role of a character.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
I'll probably watch it but I will still have this feeling of disappointment knowing that I could never play the game because for some damn reason, they would not give it a PS3 release, and the closest thing is to watch the movie.

I hope the release is successful enough to make them reconsider releasing it.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
stuff
I've never even heard of Cherami Leigh before, to be honest. Is that how she normally sounds when doing voice work? If so, I can just chalk it up to the two sounding somewhat similar; if not, then it's not really an unreasonable assessment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2