• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gigantor on Adult Swim

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Cartoon Network's 5:00 AM timeslot has been a very experimental place, allowing them to air long-forgotten shows like Cartoon Planet. This is no different, although I was kinda hoping Genon's Tetsujin 28 could air on the Adult Swim proper.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Who knows? It could happen if Gigantor does unusally well.

Oh, man, the oldest of the old school giant robot shows. Gonna be fun.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Hey, something "new" to watch before going to bed! I can still remember watching this back when it was shown on SciFi in the mornings.

I really hope this is the original black and white version with opening intact!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
elemintist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Question what is Gigantor? Question
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Gigantor (Tetsujin 28) is a children's (I repeat: a chlidren's) series about a boy (called "Jimmy Sparks" in the English versions) who controls a giant robot using a remote control device. It is largely recognized as the first anime about giant robots.

And since it is children's series, it has absolutely, positively, unquestionablely...

(to moderators: I apologize for the all caps in my next statement)

NO PLACE IN AN ADULT TIMESLOT!

(again my humblest apologies for the all caps)

TOON may have just crossed the line (I don't know yet; I'll have to think about it). This may be a B&W anime from 60's, but I'm sure that some "kids" might be interested in it. What next, original Astro Boy maybe?!

I don't know how the moderators will react to my feelings about TOON and their programming structure (or lack thereof), so I'll stop there. SUffice it to say, TOON may have gone too far this time.

BTW, "TOON" is a common abbreviation for the Cartoon Network found in cable listings.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Meh, it's Giant Robot Hour. Laughing

Perhaps they're trying to catch any early-rising kiddies as well.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Techinically, Full Metal Alchemist, InuYasha, and Scryed are "children's" shows as well, considering the audience they were aimed at in Japan. I don't see you complaining about them being on Adult Swim. Besides, a lot of adults will probably enjoy seeing a show they remember from their childhoods again. Hope that's okay with you.

Age definitions are meaningless. Watch what you enjoy and enjoy what you watch. Anime fans who posture based on a professed aversion to "kid's shows" would be surprised at how many of their favorite series are considered just that in their native land. But who cares about things like that? There's thousands of narrowminded people who dump on anime as a whole because they saw an episode of Pokemon once and now the think all anime is for kids. Don't turn into them.

Besides, Gigantor (Tetsujin 28 in Japan) has an important place in anime history-every following giant robot show, from Big O to Gundam to Giant Robo to Zoids to Evengelion-counts Gigantor as its grandaddy. It's the Steamboat Willy of giant robot shows: maybe it looks a little dated and silly today, but it's historically vital and still a lot of innocent fun-and it's still better than a lot of its successors.

And hey, the new Tetsujin 28 series is awesomely awesome to an awesome extent. Everyone should check it out, and it won't hurt to see the show that inspired it,too.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:11 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:

Here's the thing, though. While Gigantor certainly is a children's show, it's one that really only adults could appreciate in this day and age. It's no longer something that has the power to hook the kiddos, but it does have the power to hook grown-up audiences with that good old nostalgia factor. "Oh my God! I grew up watching this! Awesome!" It's the same thing that makes G1 Transformers and Thundercats do so well on DVD; adults that were raised on these shows are tuning in all over again to relive that cherished part of their childhood. This is actually part of why I wish Adult Swim would split off from Cartoon Network and form their own independent channel. If they did that, they could devote a whole, big section of their programming to airing the sort of shows that bring about the nostalgia feeling for their target audience; air Transformers and GI Joe and Centurions during the afternoons and such.

And as Wyvern has already mentioned, Adult Swim's already fairly big on shows aimed at younger audiences. Fullmetal Alchemist aired in Japan in a weekend afternoon programming slot historically aimed at elementary school-aged males, and Inu-Yasha was a prime time family show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
emory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
This may be a B&W anime from 60's, but I'm sure that some "kids" might be interested in it. What next, original Astro Boy maybe?!

If it's one thing I've learned about kids today, it's that old and black and white = instant turn-off. This can at least play on the nostalgic factor of adults in the same way Adult Swim aired Toonheads and The Popeye Show.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote

Quote:
Fullmetal Alchemist aired in Japan in a weekend afternoon programming slot historically aimed at elementary school-aged males, and Inu-Yasha was a prime time family show.

Yeah but the ratings system is different in Japan and US. So what is a children's show there may be classified as a teens show here.

It is a shame that Tetsujin-28 released by Geneon isn't on the schedule.

Do alot of people really watch stuff at 5:00 AM?

emory wrote

Quote:
If it's one thing I've learned about kids today, it's that old and black and white = instant turn-off. This can at least play on the nostalgic factor of adults in the same way Adult Swim aired Toonheads and The Popeye Show.

Yep, if there is a hint of old anime, instant turnoff. No manner of persuasion works. Is there really a sufficient population adults really that nostalgic for the old stuff?

Last edited by hikaru004 on Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
BlackCassidy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I've gotta wonder how many people actually watch the 5-6 hour, anyway. It seems like CN could run just about anything in that time slot and it would make little difference. Now if they could get away with showing Berserk in the 5:00, that would be something...
elemintist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:19 pm Reply with quote
i love any kind of anime from the 60's to now and i am young.no matter if it black and white or color.

Last edited by elemintist on Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
emory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:21 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Yep, if there is a hint of old anime, instant turnoff. No manner of persuasion works. Is there really a sufficient population adults really that nostalgic for the old stuff?

Enough for the DVD industry to profit from by releasing old shows to disc.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
TheHTRO wrote:
This may be a B&W anime from 60's, but I'm sure that some "kids" might be interested in it. What next, original Astro Boy maybe?!

--EDIT--
After checking the encyclopedia, it is the old version that is being aired. This is interesting.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
R.G.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
That's fine and dandy.

Me,I would have loved to see the 80s version of Gigantor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3